U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 AM

2,652 posts, read 7,804,063 times

Advertisements

I can't believe nobody has mentioned California. When I lived in San Jose, most of the trees don't lose their leaves. It's green pretty much year round!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM

322 posts, read 984,625 times
you know...living in Fresno,ca, I've never seen a Tree Before..lol since Fresno is so incredibly Dry and Hot We can't support Plant life here LOL Only in Extremely Rare circumstances do you see rare Grass growing after a Miraculous scattered Showers event lol But it dies really quick within 24 Hours of the rain event other then that just concrete grows here and Dust and brown,oil filled skies... and there's no water for about 300 miles lol.. we drink salt water here imported from the pacific ocean here...lol Just Kidding

Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,692,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I think that you're referring to the Oaks, not Pecan trees. Pecan trees have already bloomed out in Georgia. It is the oaks that are still somewhat sparse.
A few pecans and oaks are stragglers. Everything is bloomed out now as I type. The delta had earlier buds this year than we did for some reason. A friend over there tells me she thinks that sometimes we tend to stay cool longer in the western part of the state than they. Maybe so I don't know but she does keep up with Lousiana gardening and weather.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,469,838 times
so many people are listing northern cities, but no places have green trees longer than places in the southeast where it's wet and warm most of the year: Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Shreveport, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 PM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned California. When I lived in San Jose, most of the trees don't lose their leaves. It's green pretty much year round!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
so many people are listing northern cities, but no places have green trees longer than places in the southeast where it's wet and warm most of the year: Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Shreveport, etc.
The OP's thread title is poorly worded. Here is the question from post #1:
Quote:
What city has the latest green up of its trees in America? And when does it happen?
Minneapolis greens up later than Denver, which is later than a lot of other places, e.g. Pittsburgh, Champaign, Il.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 PM

925 posts, read 2,292,955 times
Quote:
Atlanta's a bit cooler than those other cities, and is at a considerably higher elevation, as well as a higher latitude.

Miami: Green year round, for the most part.
Orlando: half of the broad-leaf trees are deciduous, half are evergreen. Leaves off the trees from Late December to early March

New Orleans/Houston: leaves off trees from Mid December to Early March

Shreveport: Leaves off trees from early/mid December to early/mid March

Atlanta: Leaves off trees from late November/early December to late March/Early April

Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,469,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Atlanta's a bit cooler than those other cities, and is at a considerably higher elevation, as well as a higher latitude.

Miami: Green year round, for the most part.
Orlando: half of the broad-leaf trees are deciduous, half are evergreen. Leaves off the trees from Late December to early March

New Orleans/Houston: leaves off trees from Mid December to Early March

Shreveport: Leaves off trees from early/mid December to early/mid March

Atlanta: Leaves off trees from late November/early December to late March/Early April
well elevation doesn't have that much to do with it because Atlanta is very rich with green most months out of the year.

And the leaves in southeast Texas (Houston) don't come back early/mid March. More like late March/ early April

Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM

925 posts, read 2,292,955 times
Quote:
well elevation doesn't have that much to do with it because Atlanta is very rich with green most months out of the year.

And the leaves in southeast Texas (Houston) don't come back early/mid March. More like late March/ early April
I'm referring to the first buds. Here in Atlanta, we don't have full leaves on most of the trees until mid April.

All areas of the south are more green than brown throughout a majority of months in the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.