U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM

23 posts, read 103,207 times

Advertisements

I am tired of the cold and snow and rain

I have a wife and 2 children (ages 4 and 7) 2 dogs and 2 cats
I work from a home office and have been told i can work anywhere in the USA
We currently live in a town of 5000 people - so it doesnt need to be a huge city and preferrably not one.

Wants:
Warm Weather year around - No Snow - little humidity(if possible) -
We love to be outdoors
Great Schools (preferrably smaller enrollments)
Great neighboorhood communities
Very Safe - low low crime.
Probably wanting to spend maximum 300k (if that much) on a house.

Any opinoins are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Afraid of hurricanes, tornadoes, bugs, spiders or scorpions? I'm only half-kidding, because we've seen threads from people wanting to know where to live that they can avoid each of these things.

Ruling out humidity and all of the above probably puts you on the west coast, which is expensive. You won't get as much house for $300K as you would in places that have humidity.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,052,426 times
If you want warm with low humidity, the west coast will be your best bet.

If money is an issue, you'll want to rule out CA. If you want to avoid large cities, you'll probably want to rule out Phoenix and Vegas.

So what does that leave? Try St George, UT. It's a small city / large town that should be relatively affordable.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 PM

484 posts, read 1,401,106 times
Have you tried Austin Texas? The humidity isn't horrible, but it isn't great either (definitely there are better places as far as humidity goes). But, the city and it's suburbs definitely fit the rest of your characteristics

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
Have you tried Austin Texas? The humidity isn't horrible, but it isn't great either (definitely there are better places as far as humidity goes). But, the city and it's suburbs definitely fit the rest of your characteristics

Anywhere in Texas is going to be humid. If he doesn't like it, he should avoid there.

I'm guessing anywhere along the west coast. If CA is too expensive, then try southern Nevada. The Las Vegas suburbs are nice.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,880,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool328 View Post
I am tired of the cold and snow and rain

I have a wife and 2 children (ages 4 and 7) 2 dogs and 2 cats
I work from a home office and have been told i can work anywhere in the USA
We currently live in a town of 5000 people - so it doesnt need to be a huge city and preferrably not one.

Wants:
We love to be outdoors

Any opinoins are appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Anywhere in Texas is going to be humid. If he doesn't like it, he should avoid there.

I'm guessing anywhere along the west coast. If CA is too expensive, then try southern Nevada. The Las Vegas suburbs are nice.
Coastal California will not provide A) housing costs in the OP range B) great schools with smaller enrollments C) low crime also, any city on the coast will have higher humidity (just look at the weather for the West coast cities) and the economy is horrible out West right now

Austin would make more sense because the humidity is the only negative

Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,293,810 times
Wants:
We love to be outdoors

I feel like the Temecula/Murrieta area might meet your needs. It is located in Southern California and is inland (so it is less expensive, you can't touch the coast for $300k) and meets basically all your criteria.

There is little to no humidity and no snow. It does get hot in the summer though with some days approaching 100 degrees (but without humidity). It is hot, but not too bad because you don't get the sticky feeling of humidity. The rest of the year is beautiful and mild. If you do feel like seeing some snow, an hour drive gets you to the San Bernardino Mountains with several ski resorts like Big Bear, Mountain High, and Snow Valley.

There are plenty of outdoor activites in the Temecula area. You can go hiking in the adjacent hills or mountains, water ski on Lake Elsinore, bike riding is adundent, there is lots of horse riding in the equestrian section of the city, the beach is about 30-40 minutes away, etc....

Most schools in the Temecula and Murrieta School Districts are very good schools. The only one I would watch is the high school level, where two of the schools aren't as good as the other two schools (they aren't bad, the other ones are just better). Check greatschools.net. A score of 8/10 or an Academic Performance Index of 800 or better is a rough estimate of a good school.

Neighborhoods are friendly and close in Temecula with many being newer and full of young families. There are neighborhood parks, swimming pools, clubhouses, etc... throughout.

Crime rate is very low.

In this economy you can easily get a home for under $300k in the Temecula area. Here is a sample listing, $258,000 with 5 bedrooms and 3 baths in 2,576 sq. ft.
45945 Via La Colorada, Temecula, CA 92592 | MLS# S568995

The Temecula and Murrieta (two separate suburban cities adjacent to each other) area are home to aprox. 200,000 people. It is an interesting combination of small town and almost rural feel, but still with all the amenities you need and are close enough to Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, and San Diego.

A small part of the Temecula Valley Balloon and Wine Festival over the more expensive rural southern portion of the valley. There are many vineyards and large estates in this portion:

Old Town Temecula

Overview of the central shopping area in Temecula

A community park in the newer developments

Old 04-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Coastal California will not provide A) housing costs in the OP range B) great schools with smaller enrollments C) low crime also, any city on the coast will have higher humidity (just look at the weather for the West coast cities) and the economy is horrible out West right now

Austin would make more sense because the humidity is the only negative

It isn't that humid once you get a bit inland in CA.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 PM

I think Las Vegas suburbs are the best bet. The OP can get a very nice house for that price, and there's minimal humidity. A good option for them.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 PM

23 posts, read 103,207 times
thanks for the informatoin all!

any other suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or