U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,869,643 times

Advertisements

^ I did not know that being attractive was a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 02:05 AM

5 posts, read 16,040 times
Hillarious comment Burgerflipper...I think two of those D bags from those pics actually live down the street from me!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,119,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anterioramadeus View Post
I currently live in California in a city about 20 miles north of LA and I just can't take it anymore! There is so much emphasis placed on what kind of car I'm driving, how big my house is, how ripped I am, or what brand of clothes I wear. I even refuse to work out at the gym now because I can't stand being around all those shallow noobs. And the worst part is I've been stuck here so long now that I can feel myself starting to become more like them and think how they think!!!

I absolutely love the southern California weather, surfing the good waves here, and the beautiful girls. But I need more character, stlye, brains, and personality in my city/friends/lovers! To complicate things, I have a good job in LA, my family all lives within an hour driving distance, and I do have a couple good friends locally. But I just can't see myself spending the rest of my life here in such a fake place!

Has anyone ever felt this way and moved to a city that was less superficial? Is San Diego any better? I would like to stay as close to my family as possible but we'll see. I'm young and single so hopefully someone can factor that into the solution as well. And don't get me wrong...I'm not against all the beautiful girls down here in SoCal...I'm just against their culture of materialism, looks, and arrogance.

Note: Yes I know I generalized in my above statement several times. Ofcourse there are some people who don't fit into my above statements but I am referring to the culture and vibe at large.
Sounds like you're insecure. You're basing your assertion off of how you perceive others to be. Just worry about yourself. It's hard to believe that you can't find any social circles in your area that fit your requirements. I am sure that if you actually looked for friends, instead of sitting at home judging everyone, your social needs would be met.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,321,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Why do you care what other people think or what they do? Live your life.
Exactly..Once you are secure, content and happy with yourself, the people you speak of will not even merit a second thought.

I will also say from experience that while being around people who judge others and base their own lifestyles on what they own, wear etc. is defintely not pleasant, they are not necessarily "bad" people. Furthermore, you have the power whether or not to allow their thoughts, perceptions and actions to control you.

Just be who you are, and you will be happy.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Man, I completely know where you are coming from. You are just tired of being in the middle of the douche race. You want to be around down-to-Earth people which you can hold a meaningful conversation with.

In other words, avoid these guys...not the girls though!
Meh. Go ahead and avoid those girls, too. That's the thing about the whole "Hot Chicks with Douchebags" site that bugs me. There's a reason those girls are hanging out with douchebags: They're douchebags, too. The female variety.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM

5,643 posts, read 7,445,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anterioramadeus View Post
I currently live in California in a city about 20 miles north of LA and I just can't take it anymore! There is so much emphasis placed on what kind of car I'm driving, how big my house is, how ripped I am, or what brand of clothes I wear. I even refuse to work out at the gym now because I can't stand being around all those shallow noobs. And the worst part is I've been stuck here so long now that I can feel myself starting to become more like them and think how they think!!!

I absolutely love the southern California weather, surfing the good waves here, and the beautiful girls. But I need more character, stlye, brains, and personality in my city/friends/lovers! To complicate things, I have a good job in LA, my family all lives within an hour driving distance, and I do have a couple good friends locally. But I just can't see myself spending the rest of my life here in such a fake place!

Has anyone ever felt this way and moved to a city that was less superficial? Is San Diego any better? I would like to stay as close to my family as possible but we'll see. I'm young and single so hopefully someone can factor that into the solution as well. And don't get me wrong...I'm not against all the beautiful girls down here in SoCal...I'm just against their culture of materialism, looks, and arrogance.

Note: Yes I know I generalized in my above statement several times. Ofcourse there are some people who don't fit into my above statements but I am referring to the culture and vibe at large.
There are pretentious people EVERYWHERE, but perhaps more in your immediate circle of friends/activities. What I've found is that although not bad people, they are usually the most insecure people I know - hence the need to outdo the next person.

Perhaps you should just look for a new circle of friends, in addition to the ones you currently have. One of the reasons I love coming to these forums is to meet other people who share similar AND different interests, and to 'escape' my everyday life. I may not agree with everyone in this forum, but I certainly have a voice, and I also love to hear what others have to say. That is one way I grow as a person.

You may not care for the pretentious ones, but I imagine there is a lot that they could learn from you.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Meh. Go ahead and avoid those girls, too. That's the thing about the whole "Hot Chicks with Douchebags" site that bugs me. There's a reason those girls are hanging out with douchebags: They're douchebags, too. The female variety.
D-Bag girl or not, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers

Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
^ I did not know that being attractive was a bad thing?
Huh? I was following the thread until I came to this post. Who said being attractive was a bad thing? They are talking about attitudes, not looks.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
took the words out of my mouth! Those type of girls are generally only good for people who are in the club scene and want phantom partners w/ no intelligent conversations. guys date these girls, then wonder why they get cheated on lollll

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM

425 posts, read 505,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Huh? I was following the thread until I came to this post. Who said being attractive was a bad thing? They are talking about attitudes, not looks.
And we're sure the posters "hating" on the guys in the pictures have interacted with them to assess their attitudes? Or, do we assume everyone who apparently works out, parties, etc., is a douce bag?

I really don't care either way, but the "judgement" thing is flying both ways.

I'm thinking the posters don't know those guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.