U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
And we're sure the posters "hating" on the guys in the pictures have interacted with them to assess their attitudes? Or, do we assume everyone who apparently works out, parties, etc., is a douce bag?

I really don't care either way, but the "judgement" thing is flying both ways.

I'm thinking the posters don't know those guys.
Lol, no we do not know what the people in the pictures are like personally.
They do, however, depict the exact definition of the nature of douche-bag-edness. They is a certain dress code, tattoo quantity, volume of LA Looks hair gel applied daily, amount of times you can say "what up bra" during the course of a conversation, etc.

And you are very correct, passing judgment goes both ways. I too, sometimes feel some doucheness come out in me, but I immediately quell it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 01:17 PM

425 posts, read 505,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
lol, no we do not know what the people in the pictures are like personally.
they do, however, depict the exact definition of the nature of douche-bag-edness. They is a certain dress code, tattoo quantity, volume of la looks hair gel applied daily, amount of times you can say "what up bra" during the course of a conversation, etc.

and you are very correct, passing judgment goes both ways. I too, sometimes feel some doucheness come out in me, but i immediately quell it!
lmao

Old 04-23-2009, 01:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,667,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anterioramadeus View Post
I currently live in California in a city about 20 miles north of LA and I just can't take it anymore! There is so much emphasis placed on what kind of car I'm driving, how big my house is, how ripped I am, or what brand of clothes I wear. I even refuse to work out at the gym now because I can't stand being around all those shallow noobs. And the worst part is I've been stuck here so long now that I can feel myself starting to become more like them and think how they think!!!

I absolutely love the southern California weather, surfing the good waves here, and the beautiful girls. But I need more character, stlye, brains, and personality in my city/friends/lovers! To complicate things, I have a good job in LA, my family all lives within an hour driving distance, and I do have a couple good friends locally. But I just can't see myself spending the rest of my life here in such a fake place!

Has anyone ever felt this way and moved to a city that was less superficial? Is San Diego any better? I would like to stay as close to my family as possible but we'll see. I'm young and single so hopefully someone can factor that into the solution as well. And don't get me wrong...I'm not against all the beautiful girls down here in SoCal...I'm just against their culture of materialism, looks, and arrogance.

Note: Yes I know I generalized in my above statement several times. Ofcourse there are some people who don't fit into my above statements but I am referring to the culture and vibe at large.
There are no less superficial cities. L.A. has a stereotype but I have family and friends there and they don't all get caught up in the superficiality. I have family and friends in other cities who do get caught up in the superficiality in their cities.

L.A. is a big enough metro area that you can find a life there without the superficiality if that's what you want. But don't expect that you're going to go to the hot clubs with the hot girls and somehow be this one non-superficial standout; you have to change the crowds you run with. It sounds like you run with crowds in places that are superficial. Find a different gym, find new groups to socialize with, find new friends if you have to. Or, if you're too attached to what you're with, then you have to accept their superficiality.

Moving won't change it.

I have been to L.A. and my cousin and her much older husband live there, and they are very down-to-earth and not superficial. Her old husband is an ex-hippie-ish type but a very nice guy. We go to museums and concerts and stuff when I visit and it's all good. With my other cousin and my friends we've gone to bars and clubs where some were very superficial and some were very low-key. L.A. has everything, you just have to make your choice.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,040 times
Sigh...had heard stories of distant lands like Portland or Boston that were less pretentious and superficial but if it really is the same type of culture everywhere else as it is here then...well then just sigh

Old 04-23-2009, 04:53 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anterioramadeus View Post
Sigh...had heard stories of distant lands like Portland or Boston that were less pretentious and superficial but if it really is the same type of culture everywhere else as it is here then...well then just sigh
Well, let's get this right out in the open: Few places are as superficial as SoCal. Cases could MAYBE be made for Las Vegas and maybe Miami, but otherwise, I don't know that ANY place is as superficial as SoCal.

However, I think the point is that every place has some superficiality, because we're all human, and some people are superficial by nature.

Still, I'd say that places like Portland and Boston are far less overtly superficial than LA. You won't be looked down on for not having a nice car and washerboard abs. Heck, some of the coolest, hippest people in those cities and many others (Chicago, Austin, Seattle, NYC) are pudgy and don't even own a car...

I think you might be able to find people more your speed in another town. Somewhere where people get moody and grow beards and drink a lot of coffee. Hot coffee. Not iced coffee.

Signed,

A moody bearded guy currently sitting in Chicago, drinking hot coffee.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,410,475 times
C'mon, everywhere has their share of superficial people. LA might attract a lot of them (probably the same people who think they're going to become stars overnight) but they tend to cluster together. You can live there without interacting with them or ever really even noticing them. I certainly did.

Even in "progressive" cities (i've lived in a few, plus was a non-driving, non-gym-going LA resident) there were plenty of people into appearances. In some circles that may mean different things (who has the "greenest" house, listens to the coolest music, frequents the most independent stores, etc.) but it's really the same basic urge.

To the OP, I really don't think you're going to find what you're looking for elsewhere Well, you might, but you can just as easily find it where you are now. Find a new circle of friends and hang out somewhere different, and surround yourself with new people who aren't so annoying. Plenty of pudgy, beareded, cool, hip, non-driving people in LA itself, too. (although get too hip and that gets annoying, too.) Check out Echo Park or somewhere.

On the other hand, Portland and Boston (or any number of other cities) are both fun cities, and maybe the change of location will help. Just don't expect anywhere to be perfect. Besides, I think everyone can benefit from living in a couple of different cities or regions during their life - it keeps things interesting and gives you better insights into what you personally need in a city/neighborhood to be happy.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
C'mon, everywhere has their share of superficial people. LA might attract a lot of them (probably the same people who think they're going to become stars overnight) but they tend to cluster together. You can live there without interacting with them or ever really even noticing them. I certainly did.

Even in "progressive" cities (i've lived in a few, plus was a non-driving, non-gym-going LA resident) there were plenty of people into appearances. In some circles that may mean different things (who has the "greenest" house, listens to the coolest music, frequents the most independent stores, etc.) but it's really the same basic urge.

To the OP, I really don't think you're going to find what you're looking for elsewhere Well, you might, but you can just as easily find it where you are now. Find a new circle of friends and hang out somewhere different, and surround yourself with new people who aren't so annoying. Plenty of pudgy, beareded, cool, hip, non-driving people in LA itself, too. (although get too hip and that gets annoying, too.) Check out Echo Park or somewhere.

On the other hand, Portland and Boston (or any number of other cities) are both fun cities, and maybe the change of location will help. Just don't expect anywhere to be perfect. Besides, I think everyone can benefit from living in a couple of different cities or regions during their life - it keeps things interesting and gives you better insights into what you personally need in a city/neighborhood to be happy.
I think that, at the heart of it, you and I are in complete agreement. It just sounds to me like the OP is looking for a different aesthetic, and is more likely to find it elsewhere.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I think that, at the heart of it, you and I are in complete agreement. It just sounds to me like the OP is looking for a different aesthetic, and is more likely to find it elsewhere.
You know, I don't know where they will find it. It runs rampant here in Omaha of all places. How do we escape it?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
You know, I don't know where they will find it. It runs rampant here in Omaha of all places. How do we escape it?
A different aesthetic than Southern California? You can find it lots of places. People elsewhere are certainly superficial in their own way, but perhaps not the same kind of superficial. Perhaps not so overt.

(Then again, I suppose splitting hairs over aesthetic differences is, in itself, somewhat superficial, but I, too, enjoy places in which superficiality isn't quite so upfront...)

Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,410,475 times
CarolinaBredChicagoan, you're right that we probably do ultimately agree (although I think he can find somewhere non-stereotypical Southern CA in LA); I think the OP will have to try to find a new kind of community wherever he moves, though. Maybe moving to an entirely different kind of neighborhood - even if in or near a new city - is the solution. He mentioned people comparing cars and size of houses; that, plus his location 20 miles outside of LA (although admittedly not necessarily an indicator of suburbaness, given LA's unique layout) suggests that maybe he should try out a city neighborhood for a change, or at least a drastically different kind of suburban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.