U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,371,888 times

Advertisements

Essentially you just need to move to a more middle class, low crime area. I think most midsized cities would be better than a huge metro area like LA. I know in Florida, Miami and South Florida is really hung up on those things but it is not bad in Tampa or Orlando. The worst is Vegas. I feel like everyone puts on a show there. It is obnoxious. If the climate doesn't bother you, the NW is not too bad in Portland Oregon. Seattle will understandable be worse because there is a lot of money there.
Most of the midwest and south is less pretentious but like others have posted (like the one about Kansas City), certain communities within this area are more pretentious than others. I know Dallas is notorious for this type of mentality as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 AM

42 posts, read 82,477 times
Brush off these people who are putting you down and assuming you care about what others think and that you're not living your life, etc... I understand what you're saying. It can be a real drag to feel surrounded by people who are slaves to consumerism. Maybe think more rural?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,088,192 times
I agree with Dancing Bear. Look to smaller cities that lay outside of a metro area or a rural area. I'm doing that myself. I'm fed up with the superficial people, especially the women in the Kansas City area. Once you get a good 40 miles outside of the city the attitude of the people begins to change and they become more down to earth.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,228,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I think that cities and suburbia would have a higher percentage of this. Like stupidbicyclist, I live in Ohio in what used to be a small town(over doubled in the last 15 years). I actually am saving for an early retirement to go and live where there are no keeping up with the joneses mentality type folks, downeast Maine.
Many would be surprised to hear that Kentucky has its very pretentious, very snooty, keep-up-with-the-Jones' type of areas. About 1/3 of Lexington's urban service area and immediately bordering Northern Jessamine County are both some of the most pretentious areas I've ever seen. Especially if you hit up SW Lexington's Beaumont or SE Lexington's Andover you see some faux rich "oh...like oh, migaaaaawd" behavior that would give Atlanta's Buckhead or Beverly Hills a run for their money. (No joke.)

Some of Louisville, Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati are the same way, but that crowd is easier to avoid in those areas.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,228,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Many would be surprised to hear that Kentucky has its very pretentious, very snooty, keep-up-with-the-Jones' type of areas. About 1/3 of Lexington's urban service area and immediately bordering Northern Jessamine County are both some of the most pretentious areas I've ever seen. Especially if you hit up SW Lexington's Beaumont or SE Lexington's Andover you see some faux rich "oh...like oh, migaaaaawd" behavior that would give Atlanta's Buckhead or Beverly Hills a run for their money. (No joke.)

Some of Louisville, Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati are the same way, but that crowd is easier to avoid in those areas.
Okay, that crowd is much easier to avoid in those areas.

I just posted this about Lexington: http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ml#post8654571

There are several people on this particular thread, if you read it all, that complain about the snobbery of Lexingtonians.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 16,047 times
Thank you to everyone who responded! For all those wondering, I do live in the suburbs for the moment but am doing some traveling as we speak to some of the places that posters have recommended and others that friends have recommended. I will let you know what I find...

Old 05-10-2009, 04:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,838,319 times
Keep us posted.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:00 PM

493 posts, read 524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anterioramadeus View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded! For all those wondering, I do live in the suburbs for the moment but am doing some traveling as we speak to some of the places that posters have recommended and others that friends have recommended. I will let you know what I find...
That's good...spending a few days in other places can give some much needed perspective. If your finances allowed, my hunch is that you'd probably dig San Francisco or New York. People will say what they will about those towns, but you cant deny they have a more genuine vibe and feel than places like L.A., Las Vegas, or Miami, which tend to err on the "plasticy" side when viewed as a whole.

Can't image why you'd bother coming up here to the Pacfic Northwest unless you looking for a nice place to start a family, or a very good paying job led you here. Places like Portland or Seattle offer less than where you're already at.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,412,818 times
I've lived in both LA and SF and disagree that SF has a more "genuine vibe" than does LA. People get really caught up in this vision of LA as a "plastic" place, but for the vast majority of regular people living there that just doesn't match with reality. I love both cities, but have actually found SF to be both more uptight and status-focused than was LA. Both cities are wonderful in their own ways, but don't expect SF to be a miracle cure.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,810,824 times
There's nothing wrong with being attractive, but like the OP, I can't stand excessive superficiality. Every city in the US (and the world) contains superficial people, but some are worse than others. Since the OP mentioned California, I've spent time in both Los Angeles and San Francisco and I did find that SF (and northern CA in general) seemed considerably less superficial than LA.

Anyway, I happen to live in a city that (IMO) is even more superficial than Los Angeles, which is one of the reasons why I'm moving next year. I simply do not want to live in a place where image is pretty much everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.