U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,674,512 times
Reputation: 2648

Advertisements

NYC is a 24/7 city.

But, IMHO, Vegas has passed NY in 24/7 activity. The main difference is that in Vegas you can more easily lose track of time. You can be in a casino where you eat dinner, go to the nightclub, gamble, eat again, go to another nightclub, without every stepping foot outside, and the next thing you know it's 8:30 AM.

In NYC, how long are you really in a club? 4, 5 hours, max? Most clubs close at 4 and you don't spill out into a casino, you spill out onto the street and the reality of 4 AM does hit, even if you choose to go to an after hours club. In Vegas, I could, for example, have dinner wherever, go to Pure at Caesar's, head over to the Flamingo to gamble afterwards, walk next door to Drai's after hours, and lose complete track of time and stumble out of there at 8 AM. Or, as has happened to me, it's 3 AM, I am done clubbing, I figure I'll play a little in the casino before turning in, next thing I know I step outside the casino for some fresh air and it's bright daylight and I get breakfast. In NYC, whenever I've pulled those all-nighters, I was always cognizant of time, even if I chose to stay up late.

Vegas has much more that's 24/7, I think, anyway. All the casinos, for one thing, are 24/7. What one thing in NYC is 24/7? Diners, maybe? Noplace that serves alcohol, like a Casino, is 24/7 in NY.

Vegas wins this one, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,218,716 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Vegas has much more that's 24/7, I think, anyway. All the casinos, for one thing, are 24/7. What one thing in NYC is 24/7? Diners, maybe? Noplace that serves alcohol, like a Casino, is 24/7 in NY.

Vegas wins this one, to me.
Did you know that there are no clocks on the walls in the casinos in Las Vegas (on the strip)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,605,185 times
Reputation: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
NYC is a 24/7 city.

But, IMHO, Vegas has passed NY in 24/7 activity. The main difference is that in Vegas you can more easily lose track of time. You can be in a casino where you eat dinner, go to the nightclub, gamble, eat again, go to another nightclub, without every stepping foot outside, and the next thing you know it's 8:30 AM.

In NYC, how long are you really in a club? 4, 5 hours, max? Most clubs close at 4 and you don't spill out into a casino, you spill out onto the street and the reality of 4 AM does hit, even if you choose to go to an after hours club. In Vegas, I could, for example, have dinner wherever, go to Pure at Caesar's, head over to the Flamingo to gamble afterwards, walk next door to Drai's after hours, and lose complete track of time and stumble out of there at 8 AM. Or, as has happened to me, it's 3 AM, I am done clubbing, I figure I'll play a little in the casino before turning in, next thing I know I step outside the casino for some fresh air and it's bright daylight and I get breakfast. In NYC, whenever I've pulled those all-nighters, I was always cognizant of time, even if I chose to stay up late.

Vegas has much more that's 24/7, I think, anyway. All the casinos, for one thing, are 24/7. What one thing in NYC is 24/7? Diners, maybe? Noplace that serves alcohol, like a Casino, is 24/7 in NY.

Vegas wins this one, to me.

It appears that cities with casinos and ready access to alcohol are the real insomniacs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,314,242 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
NYC is a 24/7 city.

But, IMHO, Vegas has passed NY in 24/7 activity. The main difference is that in Vegas you can more easily lose track of time. You can be in a casino where you eat dinner, go to the nightclub, gamble, eat again, go to another nightclub, without every stepping foot outside, and the next thing you know it's 8:30 AM.

In NYC, how long are you really in a club? 4, 5 hours, max? Most clubs close at 4 and you don't spill out into a casino, you spill out onto the street and the reality of 4 AM does hit, even if you choose to go to an after hours club. In Vegas, I could, for example, have dinner wherever, go to Pure at Caesar's, head over to the Flamingo to gamble afterwards, walk next door to Drai's after hours, and lose complete track of time and stumble out of there at 8 AM. Or, as has happened to me, it's 3 AM, I am done clubbing, I figure I'll play a little in the casino before turning in, next thing I know I step outside the casino for some fresh air and it's bright daylight and I get breakfast. In NYC, whenever I've pulled those all-nighters, I was always cognizant of time, even if I chose to stay up late.

Vegas has much more that's 24/7, I think, anyway. All the casinos, for one thing, are 24/7. What one thing in NYC is 24/7? Diners, maybe? Noplace that serves alcohol, like a Casino, is 24/7 in NY.

Vegas wins this one, to me.
What you write is correct but the difference in the largest\ primal city & a gambling resort are quite significant. Some people vacation in New York & don't really go to sleep until sunrise. Las Vegas is a vacation-only city so, as you point out, people are gambling literally at every hour of the day & night & the clubs are basically non-stop, too. There are some huge hotels that have pool parties w/ topless women [booze & babes] all afternoon. They have overhead sprinklers to cut the Vegas heat & cabanas for intimacy "What happens here, Stays here"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,977,074 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Hard to keep the party going though when all the booze runs out at 4 and nobody's sellin'. Switch to tea maybe?
Ever hear of BYOB? That's what people used to do when the clubs closed and the after hours places (no booze served) opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,605,185 times
Reputation: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Ever hear of BYOB? That's what people used to do when the clubs closed and the after hours places (no booze served) opened.
Why go through all that when you can just pick it up at the gas station or CVS on the way? See in the N.O. there is no "after hours". It's all hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
887 posts, read 2,669,615 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Why go through all that when you can just pick it up at the gas station or CVS on the way? See in the N.O. there is no "after hours". It's all hours.
Yes, New Orleans is where its at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
Reputation: 17203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I complain I cannot get a slice of pizza at 12 Noon on a Saturday in Naples, Florida.
I had to chime in here on this one. When I was back in Philly in March, helping my kid move home, I ran to Home Depot in South Philly at 7:30 AM.

They had a restaurant ATTACHED to the front of the Home Depot OPEN at 7:30 with the food ready to go... cheesesteaks, sausage and peppers, peppers and eggs, pork roll and cheese, and pizza. I'm making my own here in FL since there's no such thing of any sort here at any time of day except I found one true pizza place that opens at lunch within a 20 minute drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 PM
 
4,953 posts, read 8,545,662 times
Reputation: 2067
How can you compare NYC to New Orleans? I have been to Mardi Gras, Essence, Bayou Classic etc... NO is a party town but not on NYC's level. I have been in the French Quarters when it was empty at times. You never get that in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,805,352 times
Reputation: 319
Buffalo! - "The City that never sleeps on the other side of New York State"

Last call is at 4am! Hit the Chip Strip! http://www.buffalonews.com/317/story/407743.html (broken link) All about misconceptions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top