Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of 'debates' on this board about urban vs suburban vs rural on this board recently and I thought I'd share my perspective since I've lived in each (I now live in a smaller town w/ rural culture, though not nec. rural itself)

Urban - I lived in the area of Louisville simply dubbed as "Old Louisville" for three years. It is an area of high density Victorian era architecture. I loved how pedestrian friendly a place it was with wide sidewalks and huge curb trees and beautiful architecture to look at. Since walking is so common it is much easier to get to know your neighbors, both ones down the block or next door. The sense of community is very strong

On the downside it is a horrible place for a car owner. The sky high car insurance rates make up for the cheaper rent rates. In addition only the rich can afford to have a parking spot close to their dwelling. Carrying 4 bags of groceries up 40 steps and down 1/4 a block isn't fun either

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Suburban - I recently moved back to the neighborhood in the far South Western edge of Lexington KY where I spent my teen years. It is still a very clean area with low crime, abundant parking, and with lots of shopping nearby.

The thing I've always disliked about the area is the complete lack of friendliness or community. I've moved there in 1996 and still don't know the people more than 2 houses down at all. All I know about the people bordering my backyard is they always make comments about how our yard isn't kept up as well as theirs. There seems to be a constant fear from its residents that some low income (or non White) person will move in next to them and let their grass grow to long or not kill their weeds and thus destrpy the entire neighorhood's housing value.

------------------------------------------------------------

Rural / Exurb/ small town - I very recently moved to Nicholasville KY, a smallish town of 30,000 people located about 7 miles from the edge of Lexington or 12 miles to Downtown. The 'worst' thing about moving in was the 10 neighbors who came up to talk to me and ask me if I needed any help moving. Even 2 people from the single family houses across the street came over to my apartment to welcome me.

The thing I like so far is that 90% of the towns shops and restaurants are off a 1 mile stretch of road, as opposed to being spread out over 5 miles like most cities do. I'm with a half mile of a Wal Mart, Tractor Supply Warehouse, and 15 fast food restaurants. A Sam's Club and Cracker Barrel are supposed to open up in Nicholasville w/i a year.

I also sense less fear of "other" people - like Blacks, Hispanics, and low income Whites. I'd actually say that I sense very little racial tension since people are known on a first name basis, so people know about their charator from more than just a stereotype. In a suburban neighborhood the sight of 3 middle class Black teens shooting bball in their driveway sends a wave a panic through the rest of the neighborhood, in a small town I haven't sensed that at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.