U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:49 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,410,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160500 View Post
Let's say you are moving from across the country and HAVE to live in the Midwest. You don't want to live in a small town. But you have the luxury to live any town you want, east of the Rockies and west of PA. I have thought and thought and I really can only come up with 2 places in the Midwest that would be fantastic places in anyone's book: Chicago and Madison. Maybe Ann Arbor or Lincoln. I can't think of anywhere else. Obviously anyone who lives there could make a case for places like St. Louis or Minneapolis--- but I am talking about towns that would make a nationwide top 10 list for desirable, cool places.

Thoughts?
Um... and why exactly do St. Louis or Minneapolis not fall into the category of "towns taht would make a nationwide top 10 list for desirable, cool places"? I haven't been to St. Louis so can't comment there, but Minneapolis is often included on lists of best places to live. Many people - not just people living there - find it a "desireable, cool place."

My choices would be Minneapolis, Chicago, plus maybe consider Milwaukee or St. Louis, but haven't spent enough time in those cities (or any time, in St. Louis's case) to know for sure. I prefer a bigger city than Madison.

If I hit the jackpot and were to buy a vacation home then I'd consider Galena (IL), Bayfield (WI), or maybe even Bemidjii (MN).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,017,891 times
Bloomington, IN is wonderful and according to my research other cool towns would be Iowa City, IA, Lawrence, KS and Columbia, MO. Madison is great, but sooo cold.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,028 times
I would never let a magazine article decide for me what a desireable place to live is. Their criteria is likely vastly different from mine. It is only opinion.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd probably be more than happy with living in St. Louis. Omaha also seems like a potentially great place to be.

Cleveland I might take if it weren't for the damnable cold.
Omaha is probably colder than Cleveland. Definitely hotter in the summer, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Bloomington, IN is wonderful and according to my research other cool towns would be Iowa City, IA, Lawrence, KS and Columbia, MO. Madison is great, but sooo cold.
You seem to like the college towns. I did, too, at one time. Now I find them stifling.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,654,530 times
I'd take Cleveland over Columbus. IMO, Cleveland is a lot more like Chicago than Columbus. Anyway, I always root for the underdog.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,349,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 160500 View Post
Let's say you are moving from across the country and HAVE to live in the Midwest. You don't want to live in a small town. But you have the luxury to live any town you want, east of the Rockies and west of PA. I have thought and thought and I really can only come up with 2 places in the Midwest that would be fantastic places in anyone's book: Chicago and Madison. Maybe Ann Arbor or Lincoln. I can't think of anywhere else. Obviously anyone who lives there could make a case for places like St. Louis or Minneapolis--- but I am talking about towns that would make a nationwide top 10 list for desirable, cool places.

Thoughts?
I lived in Indianapolis for a time and despite a rather high crime rate and being a little uncomfortable because I am not used to being in close proximity to minorities, I really, really liked the city itself. It's easy to get around it, having been a planned city, and it has some really beautiful buildings and public areas. The climate is not severe and what is really nice is that the farms and rural areas surrounding it are very beautiful.

If I HAD to move back to a large city, it would certainly be on my list. (I have been to both St. Louis and Kansas City, which are in my home state of Missouri, and frankly, I was not impressed. Perhaps if I had lived there and gotten to know my way around I would feel differently, but it would take a lot for me to like them better than Indianapolis).

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,447,836 times
If I had to pick one it would be Grand Rapids, MI. Perfectly medium-sized, revitalized downtown, fairly close to Lake Michigan. Very underrated. Has a small-town feel with just enough big-city amenities to keep me interested.

I was born there, moved away, moved back for college, moved away again... so, naturally, the next step is to move back again!

Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
Springfield, Missouri and Joplin and Branson are all pretty up and booming towns right now in the Midwest. Since they are in the southernmost part of the Midwest, they draw influence from other regions too. Pretty diversified in culture, yet they retain a classic Midwestern town feel. Lots of outdoor activities too, since they are on the Ozark Plateau.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 AM

604 posts, read 1,666,179 times
Chicago would be number 1, followed by Minneapolis. Then it would be Milwaukee, Madison and Ann Harbor.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,538,449 times
1. Chicago (Evanston to Lake Forest)
2. Minneapolis
3. Milwaukee (Elm Grove, Wauwatosa, Washington Highlands, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or