U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,596,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The only city I would consider in the midwest is Chicago.
same here, and have.
I would say Minneapolis too but... way too cold for my taste (yes it is significantly colder than chicago) and I'd feel even more isolated from other cities than I did in Chicago. Not enough interesting outdoors stuff, not enough other cool cities around it that offer up something Chicago can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,117,069 times
Madison,WI; Lawrence, KS; Boise, ID and St. Paul.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 AM

12 posts, read 39,423 times
I would have to go with Columbia, MO. Small enough to have a lot of successful local places and large enough to have most of the big national chains as well. Plus it is only a 2hrs drive from St. Louis or Kansas City, 25 minute drive to the State Capitol, and an hours drive to the Lake of the Ozarks. Not to mention it is almost always on one of those best places to live lists.

It was also one of the few cities in the country to have an increase in it's homes median sales price during the first quarter of 2009. Only two other cities in the nation showed a larger increase in sales price.

Here is the Wikipedia page about Columbia,
Columbia, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,325,109 times
Chicago, IL
Evanston,IL- college town/suburb
Champaign-Urbana- college town/area, Silicon prairie, and liberal
Oak Park- Liberal, one of Chicago great suburbs
Minneapolis

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,161,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Madison,WI; Lawrence, KS; Boise, ID and St. Paul.
Boise is Rocky Mountain West, big difference from the midwest.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM

7,615 posts, read 9,469,701 times
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzMcMinyard View Post
Chicago is Fantastic, Madison is great- as is Milwaukee, Minneapolis! I tend to prefer the Northern Cities as opposed to St.Louis or Indianapolis.
...with your choices; I prefer the Upper Midwest for many reasons, one of which is that MSP, Chicago, Madison have REAL winters; also, these cities remind me of New England more than St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indy, etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,153,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Someone who loves adventure and traveling and loves absorbing him/herself in a diverse area with history, different types people with numerous different backgrounds, walks of life, and creeds...more than likely won't like Indianapolis ... and will more than likely like Chicago.
I like all of those things and that's a big reason I live in Indianapolis. Hear me out here...

Our passion is travel and it is so incredibly cheap to live in this city, we are afforded the opportunity to do so quite often. In the five years my wife and I have lived in Indy, we have taken trips to England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Aruba, Honduras, NYC (twice), Philadelphia, Washington D.C, San Antonio, Las Vegas (six times), San Francisco, Chicago (countless times), and a few other smaller trips. We're going to Hawaii for nine days in November.

The airport here is big enough and busy enough that we can usually get a direct flight to one of the hub cities and then get a flight anywhere in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to live in Chicago. The truth is, however, that our house in Chicago would probably be three times what we paid in Indy. That's a big difference and we can be there any time we want in a three hour straight shot up 65. In fact, we'll be there over the upcoming long weekend.

As someone who loves to travel, I would rather live here and use the money I save to go other places. It's big enough and there is enough going on for me. I definitely agree with you about the mentality of a lot of the residents, though. You just have to seek out those who are of like minds and there are enough of them in this city for me.

There are many factors to consider when choosing where to live, but the very low cost in Indy is what did it for us.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,153,313 times
I also lived in St. Louis for a year (actually Creve Coeur) and I was back there for a month last year for work. I have to say, that city is definitely moving in the right direction. When we moved away in 2001, the downtown area was not nearly as vibrant as it is now. I would certainly consider living there again if I had to move somewhere else.

I know most would probably consider it south as opposed to midwest, but I'm also a big fan of Louisville.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 23,443 times
I think Springfield, MO is a GREAT place to live. I used to live there and loved it. It's a college down, but it's a lot larger than Columbia or Lawrence so it's not really a one-trick pony where the college is the life blood of the town. Springfield has some great older neighborhoods, especially in the center part of town to the east and south of MSU.

If you like the outdoors, Springfield is nicely located near the Ozarks and Mark Twain Natl forest and is within an hour or two of many of the best lakes and rivers in Missouri.

I think Springfield is a little ahead of the curve compared to 'most' midwestern cities, but it's still in the midwest.

Downsides are that traffic is pretty bad for a small city due to lack of freeways through town. Also, traveling anywhere by air from Springfield often involves a long drive to KC, STL, or Tulsa because it's hard to find affordable flights from SGF even though it's a relatively large airport given the size of city.

If you don't want a larger city like St Louis but still want some class and culture, Springfield is a great option.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,964,346 times
Assuming sufficient resources (ie a six figure income) the choice is clear for the discerning bourgois bohemian: Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or