U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Reputation: 2078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
in all of my observations, those in MO who don't like KC or STL are white people who don't feel comfortable around minorities. These are the same people who like Indianapolis (i know you lived next to minorities in Indy, but indy isn't a very minority/international friendly place from my personal experiences. and please, don't talk about black expo which is one event. i'm talking about in general and the amount of actual diversity). I am convinced that your personality dictates what kind of city you like.

KC and STL IMO blow Indy away in terms of cultural amenities and substance. But of course, if you're not aware of what "cultural" is, you will be blind to this fact and think a city like Indy is great.

I cannot stress how much I dislike Indy, but it's because "Indy" and the whole state of Indiana, stands for the opposite of what I stand for. My personality clashes (and often with people from indiana - not everyone obviously, but a lot).

So, clichely speaking, it's all a matter of preference. I would thrive more in cities like stl, chi, new orleans, kc baltimore much more than Indy, charlotte, jacksonville, columbus etc.

On a side note, I encourage other chicagoans/ north shore peopolz to expand their view of the midwest to look farther south. Often, we only "know" cities around the great lakes and fail to acknowledge cities like Cincy, or KC. They aren't lake cities, but IMO blow MIL and CLE away, in all seriousness. Plus, the weather is soooo much better. Really cool.
That logic makes absolutely no sense. Every city is fundamentally different at the end of the day, and while you can compare and contrast them, that's about where it ends. For example, I love Indy, it's a great town with a lot of great things going for it. That's not to say that I don't also love New York, which by the way is my favorite city in the country and probably the world. If not for by job, I'd be living in New York right now if I could.

What does make sense, however, is the fact that you turned this into another opportunity to go on another anti-Indy tirade. Dude, we get it. You don't like Indianapolis. That's great and wonderful. No one cares. But don't try to rationalize the people that do like that town, or anywhere else, just because you don't agree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Reputation: 2078
To address the o.p., I think St. Paul is quite overlooked in the Midwest. Most people hear "Twin Cities" and immediately think "Minneapolis". St. Paul has tons of cool architecture, and is surprisingly diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,793 posts, read 2,706,642 times
Reputation: 1339
Hmm from what i hear the Midwest is a great place with super friendly people. The weather sucks tho. But i bet there are a lot of nice places to live out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,031,191 times
Reputation: 3829
Nothing "cool" about St. Louis

maybe there are some college towns that are not over populated by fratboys and sorority chicks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 12:35 PM
 
374 posts, read 991,961 times
Reputation: 154
Coolest cities hands down are Toledo and Chicago (this is a biased answer because Ive called both cities home most of my life...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 01:08 PM
 
20 posts, read 65,820 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
in all of my observations, those in MO who don't like KC or STL are white people who don't feel comfortable around minorities. These are the same people who like Indianapolis (i know you lived next to minorities in Indy, but indy isn't a very minority/international friendly place from my personal experiences. and please, don't talk about black expo which is one event. i'm talking about in general and the amount of actual diversity). I am convinced that your personality dictates what kind of city you like.

KC and STL IMO blow Indy away in terms of cultural amenities and substance. But of course, if you're not aware of what "cultural" is, you will be blind to this fact and think a city like Indy is great.

I cannot stress how much I dislike Indy, but it's because "Indy" and the whole state of Indiana, stands for the opposite of what I stand for. My personality clashes (and often with people from indiana - not everyone obviously, but a lot).

So, clichely speaking, it's all a matter of preference. I would thrive more in cities like stl, chi, new orleans, kc baltimore much more than Indy, charlotte, jacksonville, columbus etc.

On a side note, I encourage other chicagoans/ north shore peopolz to expand their view of the midwest to look farther south. Often, we only "know" cities around the great lakes and fail to acknowledge cities like Cincy, or KC. They aren't lake cities, but IMO blow MIL and CLE away, in all seriousness. Plus, the weather is soooo much better. Really cool.
You act like you know so much about culture and have traveled... Yet it's pretty obvious you have no clue what you are talking about.

Do you know anything about culture? And how does KC or Cincy blow Cleveland away? You DO know Cleveland was rated as one of the most cultured cities in the US? I really hope you expand your views, since you thrive on letting other people about things. You obviously have a lot to learn. I'm dead serious here... don't act like you know everything, but then fail to realize the thing YOU talk about most is in the city you dislike.

I am just awe struck that you think Cleveland Milwaukee have no culture. You are seriously in the wrong and to me, it seems like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Cleveland BLOWS AWAY KC and STL in cultural amenities... not even close.

Cleveland is:

A chocolate city, has substantial Puerto Rican, Hungarian, Italian, Irish, German, Albanian, Arabic, Jewish etc neighborhoods with 1st and 2nd gen. immigrants, it has the 2nd largest theatre district in the nation, it has University Circle (cultural, educational, and medical center) I'm not even sure why I am responding, because you'll probably ignore this post, and still not know what you are talking about.



And do you really think KC or STL are more 'accepting' of different cultures and races? Cleveland has so many unique neighborhoods with a wide array of immigrants and ethnicity. There were over 30 languages spoken in my high school.

Last edited by CityCityMan; 12-12-2009 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 05:32 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 3,565,068 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Coolest cities hands down are Toledo and Chicago (this is a biased answer because Ive called both cities home most of my life...)
So Toledo and Chicago are the coolest hands down just because you've lived there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 PM
 
Location: IN
20,859 posts, read 35,987,118 times
Reputation: 13304
Egg Harbor, WI
Crosslake, MN
Petoskey, MI
Galena, IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
 
374 posts, read 991,961 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
So Toledo and Chicago are the coolest hands down just because you've lived there?
Home sweet home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Colorado
434 posts, read 1,013,383 times
Reputation: 271
The coolest city is probably International Falls, Minnesota. It has the reputation of being the "Nation's Icebox."

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top