U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,298,312 times

Advertisements

Lawrence Kansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,319,470 times
1. Chicago-Love it! Visiting again here in a few weeks, would move here in a second
2. St Louis-Great city, I have spent 5-6 years of my 20's here, never been bored, unique neighborhoods in the city, lots of revitalization going on, decent light rail if you live in the city limits
3. Minneapolis-Great vibe, lots to do, clean city, I would definitely live here, even with the cold
4. Kansas City-Friendly people, downtown is making a lot of progress, great BBQ

Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,202,286 times
At this stage in my life, I like living in a big city/major metro area. My favorites for the Midwest include:

Milwaukee (where I live currently)
Chicago
St. Paul/Mpls (prefer St. Paul)
Columbus

However, I'm sure I could enjoy any of the major cities/metros in some fashion. College towns don't appeal to me now, but I could see myself living in one of the following later on in life:

Bloomington, IN
Madison
Iowa City
Grinnell
Stevens Point
Ann Arbor

Some of these are more isolated than others, and some are more like towns than cities. But they all have appeal.

I'm not sure I'd really like to live in a small city or town that doesn't have a reasonably significant college or university, but the following such place does intrigue me:

Baraboo, WI

Maybe I'm idealizing it a bit, but Baraboo does have a comfortable, artsy feel, and it's close to Madison. I also got a good, artsy vibe from Dubuque, Iowa, but I'm not sure it would be a good home for me.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM

83 posts, read 74,436 times
Cool is a state of mind. Coolest places in the midwest:

Large city-Chicago
Medium size city-Milwaukee or the Twin Cities
Smaller town- Ann Arbor

Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM

20 posts, read 65,820 times
36 Hours - Cleveland - NYTimes.com
Cleveland rocks - The Sun Chronicle Online - Features
http://www.popcitymedia.com/features...and102809.aspx
(these are from Cleveland Press thread in the Cleveland subforum)
Cleveland is very underrated. Despite some dying inner-city neighborhoods, there are great areas within the city and some of the best suburbs in the Midwest.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 AM

886 posts, read 1,925,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Kansas City is not anywhere close to the Ozarks. It is at least 70 miles away from the northernmost extent of the "geographic range, and technically those are only the foothills. The Northern Ozarks lack the Ozark culture for the most part. It is at the confluence of the Great Plains/Midwest...though I consider Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota to be the "western Midwest." As far as places in the Midwest go, since I've lived in St. Louis for a very long time, I would look at Chicago, Cincinnati, and the Twin Cities as other possible options for me. As far as Des Moines having nothing in common with the Great Lakes cities, I beg to differ. It is not part of the Great Plains. It's not a Great Lakes city either, but that's the only difference between it and Chicago as far as I'm concerned. It just feels smaller. Kansas City I just wasn't impressed with. I don't know why, it's just not the place for me.
If you don't like urban active growing downtown's that have a lot of people in them, and a good arts scene.... then yeah KC wouldn't be the place for you.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 AM

886 posts, read 1,925,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
1. Chicago-Love it! Visiting again here in a few weeks, would move here in a second
2. St Louis-Great city, I have spent 5-6 years of my 20's here, never been bored, unique neighborhoods in the city, lots of revitalization going on, decent light rail if you live in the city limits
3. Minneapolis-Great vibe, lots to do, clean city, I would definitely live here, even with the cold
4. Kansas City-Friendly people, downtown is making a lot of progress, great BBQ

This pretty much mirrors what I would choose...

I'd consider adding Milwaukee but never been there, just read up a lot of it lately, but honestly being so close to Chicago.. meh

Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Cool is rather subjective.

If population growth and employment growth matter than Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the "creative class" thing matters than Ann Arbor, Michigan or Minneapolis-St. Paul. (Kiplinger's)

If skyscraper height would matter than Chicago or Cleveland. (Key Tower)

If temperature matters than Duluth, Minnesota.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c460.html

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,725,659 times
Duluth, MN was a place that surpassed my expectations. We were up there for a couple of days two years ago and frankly expected Altoona on Lake Superior. I didn't expect that the tourist and other redevelopment and condos would be as significant a part of the urban fabric as they are.

We were also a bit surprised that some of the redevelopment initiatives in Minneapolis that we found (other times on that same trip, happened to be both the weekend before and weekend after the I-35W bridge collapsed) had kind of backslid - someone had gone to a lot of effort to put trails in around the old St Anthony Falls but then they weren't maintaned to fix broken steps, clear vegetation, remove graffiti, etc., and that some of the old flour mills nearby seemed to be stalled in redevelopment. But overall Minneapolis seemed to be a promising city, we stumbled on more good than bad but maybe more bad than we were expecting.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,120,031 times
As a 20 something who chose to live in the St. Louis area I must give props to this city.

Decent art scene
Lot's of culture
Numerous bar/entertainment districts to fit your crowd
Fun major sporting events
Several hip/trendy neighbs
Very cosmo, diverse, and gay friendly Central West End
Rich history
Great food options - especially italian in Hill neighborhood
Almost No traffic
Usable lightrail/subway system
upscale and gritty options available
BEAUTIFUL architecture
Very good but not GREAT shopping
Close access for outdoor activities - sadly not mnts or oceans
Weather - i happen to enjoy the changing seasons
Very good educational opportunities
Very low cost of living - I live like a king here!
Beautiful women
Tons of young people and diversity in the city and central corridor

St. Louis is experiencing an renaissance in urban revitalization, I encourage you to come join the fun!

Last edited by moorlander; 01-02-2010 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or