U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,686,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaShahar View Post
I found a very discouraging thread on the PA board about Harrisburg.

Syracuse doesn't appear to fit our needs either.

Any other suggestions on the East Coast?
What in particular about Harrisburg and Syracuse rules them out for you? Knowing this would help in making other suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM

11,913 posts, read 32,999,020 times
Check out Oak Ridge, Tennessee:

Thousands of high-tech jobs, home to the Oak Ridge National Labs (nuclear), adjacent to Knoxville (metro population of 800,000), low cost of living, and Oak Ridge has outstanding public schools (ranked one of the 100 best school systems in the country by the Wall Street Journal's Smart Money magazine).

In addition to the national labs, the Knoxville metro area is also home to Scripps Broadcasting (HGTV, Food Network, DIY), Regal Entertainment (largest movie theater chain in the country), TVA, Ruby Tuesday, and other companies which all have huge IT needs.

And here in East Tennessee we enjoy four very beautiful, very distinct seasons.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Pittsburgh, although jobs don't pay much here. Several years ago I met a person who worked in IT at CMU and earned $25,000 a year. That was enough for her to afford a nice home in a desirable area with better schools.

You can buy a nice house with just a salary of 25,000??? That's a world of a difference where I come from. A salary of 25k can barely afford an apartment the size of a closet here.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:52 PM

7,700 posts, read 16,157,910 times
Oak Ridge's environmental issues would make me a little nervous.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:15 PM

39 posts, read 81,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
What city wouldn't be OK for you???

I would go with Richmond (first one that came to mind), it meets your criteria.

Also, Albuquerque was a good one, but it is the Southwest.

I know you said you don't like Texas and you gave your husband being from Houston as the reason, but Austin, TX is entirely unlike Houston and meets all your criteria other than being in Texas. In fact, the homes and real estate there are a bargain, you can have a beautiful home there for very little money, and the city is progressive and fun. Also, IT jobs are plentiful there, as Dell is HQ'ed there and many other companies do a lot of business there (I worked for AT&T and always went to Austin). San Antonio is nearby which helps (it is the HQ of AT&T now that they stole it away from Jersey thanks to the Fed. Gov't and John Zeglis).

Anyway, I digress...

Other cities that would work for you:
St. Louis
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Columbus
Buffalo
Raleigh
Philly area (but a little pricey)
Southern New Hampshire (Nashua)
Indianapolis

I appreciate you taking the time to post. To answer your question about Texas - it doesn't snow in Texas. I know that is a pretty trivial excuse, but I'm done with not having a change of seasons. (to me that includes snow).

I keep coming back to Raleigh area or PA (somewhere between Harrisburg and Philly). My husband keeps coming back to Denver area. We're going to sit down and compare the three areas and see what we come up with.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 PM

56,964 posts, read 81,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
What in particular about Harrisburg and Syracuse rules them out for you? Knowing this would help in making other suggestions.
I was wondering about the same thing.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM

4,250 posts, read 9,745,693 times
As I was driving back through the Susquehanna Water Gap from a meeting today, it occurred to me that Harrisburg is Denver at 1/8 scale. Both are situated where the flat country meets the mountains, but Denver is eight times more elevated and roughly eight times bigger.

However the ratio is at least reversed for the Susquehanna River vs. the South Platte.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,348,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You can buy a nice house with just a salary of 25,000??? That's a world of a difference where I come from. A salary of 25k can barely afford an apartment the size of a closet here.
Pittsburgh has a very low cost of living. Houses are cheap - you can find something real nice in a good area for $100,000 - $150,000. Property taxes are high, but that's the worst thing about living in PA. We aren't fashion conscious here and there isn't much trying to keep up with the Joneses. There's a lot of reasons we often place high on most liveable cities lists.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,686,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
As I was driving back through the Susquehanna Water Gap from a meeting today, it occurred to me that Harrisburg is Denver at 1/8 scale. Both are situated where the flat country meets the mountains, but Denver is eight times more elevated and roughly eight times bigger.

However the ratio is at least reversed for the Susquehanna River vs. the South Platte.
Very COOL observation! Isn't it neat when you notice weird stuff like that??

I always thought that Columbus and Indianapolis are like twin cities - separated at birth. Both are in the center of their respective states, both are roughly the same size, both have a similar history and culture, both have a small downtown and both are circled by a similar "beltway" of highway...

I also have compared NJ to a mini-California, in reverse and scaled down, from beaches to mountains, similar cultures although different influencing ethnicities, Italian vs. Mexican, which themselves are similar (Catholic, good food that's popular, similar mediterranean styles, etc.).

It's interesting to pick up on stuff like that, but you really picked up on a great one, I think!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM

87,098 posts, read 102,857,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaShahar View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to post. To answer your question about Texas - it doesn't snow in Texas. I know that is a pretty trivial excuse, but I'm done with not having a change of seasons. (to me that includes snow).

I keep coming back to Raleigh area or PA (somewhere between Harrisburg and Philly). My husband keeps coming back to Denver area. We're going to sit down and compare the three areas and see what we come up with.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.
I was just going to suggest Denver, but it seems like you've already checked it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or