U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 AM

3,956 posts, read 2,814,972 times

Advertisements

One thing is for certain: We've become more and more of a melting pot in the last twenty or so years in many places, which pretty much goes without saying, and there's just no turning back in this day and age. You can even see drastic changes in some small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM

342 posts, read 1,097,514 times
there was a huge change at T.F. North in calumet city, il
Thornton Fractnl No High School, Calumet City Illinois / IL school information and ethnic makeup

these are the schools that i went to
Longwood Elementary School, Naperville Illinois / IL school information and ethnic makeup
Hoover Wood Elementary School, Batavia Illinois / IL school information and ethnic makeup
Sam Rotolo Middle School Of Batavia, Batavia Illinois / IL school information and ethnic makeup
Carmel Montessori Academy And C School, Warrenville Illinois / IL school information and ethnic makeup

Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
The high school I went to was 100% white non-hispanic when I went there. In 1990 it was 99% white, and is now 96% white. It has nearly doubled in size.

Where I live now, it has consistently been about 50% Hispanic, 7% black, 43% white. It is the largest high school in Texas, some years very close to 4,000.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
Schooldigger is one of my favorite sites. It's been a major help in finding out demographics trends in major cities. I was surprised when I found out that South Jackson schools were mostly white 20 years ago and that even some Detroit schools, mostly on the far West Side and around the Hoover area on the East Side, had a large white minority in the early 90s.
Actually, the Detroit public High Schools that still have decent amounts of White students are Chadsey, Western International and Southwestern, all on the Southwestern side of Detroit. Those schools also have high Hispanic student populations too. Outside of those high schools, Cass Tech and Renaissance are the only other high schools that are around 2% White. Osborn and Pershing are about 1% White. After that, the rest of the HS's aren't even 1% White.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM

Man, Thornton Fractional has changed drastically in that 1989-2007 timeframe. I know schools like Rich Central in Olympia Fields did too. So, I'm wondering if the same thing happened in that district with people from lower income neighborhoods in Chicago moving out there.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 PM

Here's the High School I went to:Westhill High School, Syracuse New York / NY school information and ethnic makeup

I graduated in 1994 and I was one of 3 black kids in the senior class. From the site, it seems like the demos are a year behind, from what I remember because we had about 20 Asians in the school when I graduated and in 1992 we had at one time 14 Black students due to a couple of students coming in later. So, I wonder when does the school count the students?

Here are the other schools I went to:Onondaga Hill Middle School, Syracuse New York / NY school information and ethnic makeup

Cherry Road Elementary School, Syracuse New York / NY school information and ethnic makeup (It was K-4 when I wwnt there in the early-mid 80's)

Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
A J Moore Academy School, Waco Texas / TX school information and ethnic makeup

My High School....

Old 04-25-2009, 07:57 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,650,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the Detroit public High Schools that still have decent amounts of White students are Chadsey, Western International and Southwestern, all on the Southwestern side of Detroit. Those schools also have high Hispanic student populations too. Outside of those high schools, Cass Tech and Renaissance are the only other high schools that are around 2% White. Osborn and Pershing are about 1% White. After that, the rest of the HS's aren't even 1% White.
Yeah, I didn't mention Southwest Detroit, but you're right. That area isn't mentioned much when discussing Detroit, considering the overwhelming black majority, but it's one of the most racially diverse areas in the metro.

I'm not going to name my high school, but I will give the elementary school I went to when I was in Detroit. The houses surrounding the school have been cleared out now and the school itself closed at the end of the 2006-07 school year.

Cooper Elementary School, Detroit Michigan / MI school information and ethnic makeup

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
Yeah, I didn't mention Southwest Detroit, but you're right. That area isn't mentioned much when discussing Detroit, considering the overwhelming black majority, but it's one of the most racially diverse areas in the metro.

I'm not going to name my high school, but I will give the elementary school I went to when I was in Detroit. The houses surrounding the school have been cleared out now and the school itself closed at the end of the 2006-07 school year.

Cooper Elementary School, Detroit Michigan / MI school information and ethnic makeup

That's true about people not mentioning SW Detroit. Also, people forget about neighborhoods like Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Palmer Park, Corktown, Midtown, Boston-Edison, Warrendale, Delray and Springwells, which are all still mixed neigborhoods. Some of those neighborhoods are very nice too.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,653,336 times
Here is my high school. Not very diverse, but it's fairly stable.
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/OH/schools/0499203750/school.aspx (http://www.schooldigger.com/go/OH/schools/0499203750/school.aspxHere - broken link)

Here is the closest local high school in Youngstown. Looks like white flight in action as the number of African-American and Hispanic students remains fairly steady, and the number of white students drop off.

Chaney High School, Youngstown Ohio / OH school information and ethnic makeup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.