U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM

56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ it's mostly the younger population that's diverse, because of the huge influx of hispanic/african americans that are having many more children than the whites who have been in the area for decades. Also because a large % of the population are college students, who are around 85% white - and normally don't have any children.

Iowa City's school district is 65% white, although the population of that area is around 85% white. It's not really because of private schools either. The public schools in town are in such good shape and have such a good rep, there were never really any desires to open private schools. There's one small religious school, and a few little private grade schools. Nothing major.
They must be good, as Regina High School, a former IC Catholic HS no longer exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
^ it's mostly the younger population that's diverse, because of the huge influx of hispanic/african americans that are having many more children than the whites who have been in the area for decades. Also because a large % of the population are college students, who are around 85% white - and normally don't have any children.

Iowa City's school district is 65% white, although the population of that area is around 85% white. It's not really because of private schools either. The public schools in town are in such good shape and have such a good rep, there were never really any desires to open private schools. There's one small religious school, and a few little private grade schools. Nothing major.
They must be good, as Regina High School, a former IC Catholic HS no longer exists.

Also, if you took the University of Iowa demographics away, the city would be even more diverse. With that said, the University probably has a lot to do with that and attracts people in terms of employment too.

People also forget that Coralville, which is also in the ICSD, is separate and I'm surprised that it isn't annexed to make IC larger in size and population. I think there is another tiny community near U of I that has it's own government. I bet people also don't know that Des Moines and Iowa City have had Black mayors in the past.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,306,231 times
Here is my High School. You can tell they opened up a relief school b/w 2001 and 2002 due to explosive growth. My high school opened in 1990 as a relief school for another high school. by 2001 it more than doubled in population so a relief school was built for my high school. By 2008 the new relief school doubled in population so in 2009 another relief school was built to relieve that relief high school and a little bit more from my high school.

Last edited by GLS2010; 11-17-2010 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 08:03 PM

804 posts, read 1,747,231 times
Had the unfortunate advantage of going to 3 high schools

Pine Forest High School- Fayetteville NC
White 35%
Black 55%
Hispanic 7%
Asian 1%
Other 2%

Miller Grove High School-Stone Mountain, GA
Black 100%- there is litterally one white girl in the school when I went there and the numbers are showing that number has not changed that much. but the area that it is in services, middle class and upper middle class families so its still a decent school, only went to the school for 2 months.

Mount Zion High School- Jonesboro GA
White 2%
Black 78%
Hispanic 13%
Asian 2%
other 5%

Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,175,821 times
I remeber the junior high I went to was over 60%white 10 years ago. Now its probably closer to 50 white 50 black/hispanic/asian. I graduated high school in NC and it was basically half black half white The other school was something like 65% white and 10% hispanic black and asian each. I went to 4 grammer schools though, too lazy to find stats(most of them were probably > 60% black. I assume they havent changed much either)

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 11-17-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oops, I guess Regina does exist: Regina Catholic Education Center (http://www.icregina.com/high_school.php?page_id=Welcome - broken link)

Old 11-18-2010, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 36,472 times
I'm in my early 20's. The schools I went to have pretty much the same demographic except my first elementary school has a little bit more of a hispanic population then it did before.
http://apps.fcps.org/sp.cfm?i=13
http://apps.fcps.org/sp.cfm?i=25

Middle School:
http://apps.fcps.org/sp.cfm?i=40

High Schools I went to:
http://apps.fcps.org/sp.cfm?i=61
http://apps.fcps.org/sp.cfm?i=65

Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Also, if you took the University of Iowa demographics away, the city would be even more diverse. With that said, the University probably has a lot to do with that and attracts people in terms of employment too.

People also forget that Coralville, which is also in the ICSD, is separate and I'm surprised that it isn't annexed to make IC larger in size and population. I think there is another tiny community near U of I that has it's own government. I bet people also don't know that Des Moines and Iowa City have had Black mayors in the past.
I'm from Coralville

Coralville would NEVER be annexed by Iowa City. It's the center of the commerce in the area, is growing faster, has a ton of city pride. It's definitely has an individidual identity.

Coralville is actually more diverse than Iowa City.

For a town of 18,000, it's fairly diverse for Iowa - almost all of which came about the past 5 years. It currently has around 670 minority students in its 4 schools. The high school students in town actually go to school at West High in Iowa City - which has 475 minority students alone.

Haha, i don't know how I got onto this subject. It's actually really interesting looking at how thinigs have changed since I was a student there 10-15 years ago!!

My grade school was 21% minority when I went there - and it was VERY diverse for the time.

Now it's
White: 48%
Black: 26%
Hispanic: 14%
Asian: 12%

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-18-2010 at 07:00 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 01:49 PM

302 posts, read 992,673 times
I graduated from Eleanor Roosevelt High School (Greenbelt, MD) in 2003. At the time, the demographics were:

White - 29.3%
Black- 56.2%
Hispanic- 3.5%
Asian- 10.7%
Other- 0.3%

In the 7 years since then, the demographics have changed slightly:

White - 19.0%
Black- 62.2%
Hispanic- 7.9%
Asian- 10.6%
Other- 0.3%

As a whole, Prince George's County Public Schools are:

White - 5.1%
Black- 74.2%
Hispanic- 17.4%
Asian- 2.9%
Other- 0.4%

Old 11-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I'm from Coralville

Coralville would NEVER be annexed by Iowa City. It's the center of the commerce in the area, is growing faster, has a ton of city pride. It's definitely has an individidual identity.

Coralville is actually more diverse than Iowa City.

For a town of 18,000, it's fairly diverse for Iowa - almost all of which came about the past 5 years. It currently has around 670 minority students in its 4 schools. The high school students in town actually go to school at West High in Iowa City - which has 475 minority students alone.

Haha, i don't know how I got onto this subject. It's actually really interesting looking at how thinigs have changed since I was a student there 10-15 years ago!!

My grade school was 21% minority when I went there - and it was VERY diverse for the time.

Now it's
White: 48%
Black: 26%
Hispanic: 14%
Asian: 12%
Yeah, I noticed that about Coralville and it is interesting how the volume of the diversity has increased. It could also be an example of how a school can be diverse and be of high quality as Iowa schools are generally good, regardless of if they are urban, suburban or rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.