U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,459,593 times

Advertisements

elfyum,

I hope you're feeling better. I have the same thing as you do and missed work today as well as being ill all weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,832 times
Default Nice people

Get well soon elfyum It seems to me that there's a thin line between nice and nosey. Lots of people want a friendly place to live. There again it's close between friendly and nosey.

The reason I mention this is that's it's easy to mistake one for the other if you are in a town for a short time. I once lived in a small city that some people thought had nice, friendly people. They were not! What they were was nosey and gossipy. This is just to give people a fair warning when considering a new city to live in.

I'd say where I live on the SW coast of Oregon has nice people but not nosey people. There are always exceptions but most people are friendly.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,951,462 times
I'm glad that you are feeling better! Drink plenty of chicken soup and fluids. It's sad how people are so busy that they have forgotten to help others in a time of need. Employers are just interested in knowing when you will be coming back to work. I think that you will find nicer people in smaller cities or towns where the neighbors are tight. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:03 PM

81 posts, read 320,423 times
Athens, GA - because of The University of Georgia we are diverse, but the town is small enough that there is still that feeling of community.

Our weather is temperate so we smile alot!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,772,710 times
Well I hope you are feeling better. I have to agree with SWB most places I've found seem to have 2 nice people to 1 sourpuss.And it seems the last few years people have just gotten nastier as a whole.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,800,644 times
Remember, elfyum, you live in PARADISE!! Miami is the greatest city in the world with the most wonderful people! Seriously though, my friends who live there are often sick, and every time I stay with my parents who live there , I am also sick. As a kid I remember neighbors and even our DOCTOR comming over to see how I was doing. Still have get well cards from that time period. People today are overworked, stressed and slaves to the real estate bubble. They don't have time for you, I hate to say.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM

286 posts, read 1,479,083 times
Why does the one bad apple always seem to be the first bitten into?

I will say that years ago I was on a road trip from Denver to MI. The folks in Iowa were wonderful! I only stopped briefly for food and fuel, and the ladys working at the counter of where ever it is I stopped were so happy and friendly despite the early morning hour it was. 10 years later, and that moment still sticks out.

I have seen so many great people in the small towns I've traveled through. Check out the smaller towns in Ohio. Those folks would give you the shirt off their backs, but don't come sniffing around to waste your time. Areas I know are Walbridge, OH and Tontogany, OH. Traveled through the Carolinas last year and all the stops were met with friendly, smiling faces.

Maybe I'm just a Michigander who is used to cold, gray days and depressed people.. so those who are warm and smiling (residing in sunnier states, which is almost every other state in the US) seem to stick out more.

I do hope you're feeling better soon. Our family got hit with that sort of thing and it really took its time to get out of their system.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,407,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, cause it's half "other topic" & half "US", but the main question is WHERE are there nice people? I mean a small to mid size town/city where they're not fake nice, & not TOO nice (well, I guess I mean friendly - like no neighbors showing up on your doorstep ), but people who say please & thank you & feel better!
That's what prompted this post...
I have taken 2 days off work cause I'm sick - not quite sure WHAT it is - throat/ears/cough/fever type thing...But not ONE person has said "feel better!"!!!!!!! I ALWAYS would tell someone - ESPECIALLY family/friend/coworker to feel better!!! WTF???
I was just shaking my head...It's like, gee, thanks!
You don't need to break out the freakin violins, but a simple "hope you feel better"?!
So - here are my choices of places that I want to visit - tell me if they would be nice, but not fake, & not overly friendly - (obviously I don't mean everyone, or a few, I mean the majority of those that live there) -

Madison, WI
Fairfield, IA (&/or Maharishi Town I know - Vedic City! )
Strong City, KS
Cottonood Falls, KS
Emporia, KS
(can you tell I have a thing for the Flint Hills? )

Any & all places/thoughts on this matter welcome!
And yes, I'm feeling a little better thank you!
"Nice people" is a relative term.

What one might consider to be "nice", another might consider to be cold, or in some cases offensive. While I have my opinions about who does and does not fit this classification, I'm sure there are others with a completely different opinion.

"Nice people" all depends on you, not so much "them". For instance, as we were talking about in another thread, when I buy something at retail store it is absolutely paramount that the clerk say "thank you" when the transaction is complete.

Some parts of the country don't place a whole lot of value on this, but I do. PA for instance. I also value drivers, like NYC and Boston, who are out to GET WHERE THEY ARE GOING. While some consider their driving habits to be aggressive, and sometimes downright scary, I appreciate them getting out of my way without much regard for what I am doing in my own car. In PA for instance, I've noticed people tend to "drive out of their rear-view mirrors". It's almost like they're hell bent on keeping you behind them. Speeding up when there is a passing lane, speeding up when they see you trying to turn onto the roadway, and weaving to the right when they see you want to make a right turn at a corner. Very strange, but seemingly accepted practice here.

So again, "Nice" is relative. I wish there was a calculator of some sort out there. You could check off the things that are most important to you about people, and based on reviews the calculator could tell you how much you're going to like the particular area. I would have never moved to south-eastern PA if there was such a calculator

~T

Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 AM

13 posts, read 29,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, cause it's half "other topic" & half "US", but the main question is WHERE are there nice people? I mean a small to mid size town/city where they're not fake nice, & not TOO nice (well, I guess I mean friendly - like no neighbors showing up on your doorstep ), but people who say please & thank you & feel better!
That's what prompted this post...
I have taken 2 days off work cause I'm sick - not quite sure WHAT it is - throat/ears/cough/fever type thing...But not ONE person has said "feel better!"!!!!!!! I ALWAYS would tell someone - ESPECIALLY family/friend/coworker to feel better!!! WTF???
I was just shaking my head...It's like, gee, thanks!
You don't need to break out the freakin violins, but a simple "hope you feel better"?!
So - here are my choices of places that I want to visit - tell me if they would be nice, but not fake, & not overly friendly - (obviously I don't mean everyone, or a few, I mean the majority of those that live there) -

Madison, WI
Fairfield, IA (&/or Maharishi Town I know - Vedic City! )
Strong City, KS
Cottonood Falls, KS
Emporia, KS
(can you tell I have a thing for the Flint Hills? )

Any & all places/thoughts on this matter welcome!
And yes, I'm feeling a little better thank you!
I don't know much about the places you listed, but I do know that the people in and around the Raleigh, NC area are pretty nice. I live in a little town right at the edge of Raleigh, called Garner and the people here are nice and they are not the overwelming nice, but they say thank you, and come again, and I hope you get to felling better. Oh, by the way, I hope you get to felling better. LOL

Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,392,940 times
Thanks for all the well wishes guys! (& to the person who left the annonymous rep! )
Much appreciated & I am feeling much better! Lots of sleep! I rarely get sick, & when I do it's not for long. I think it's because I take vitamins, eat healthy & avoid sick people like the plague!
I really think it should be illegal to go to work sick! I Love PA - you described it perfectly!
I feel a calling toward KS & have for a while.
I agree that most people are just not nice & I personally believe it has to do with not being self aware/not being happy with yourself.
So alas, a bunch of unaware grumps abound!
Ah well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or