U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM

792 posts, read 2,903,456 times

Advertisements

let us vent now, shall we?

The worst....
-Westchester County, NY: I'll put it blunty: Westchester County sucks in every way possible. I won't get off on a tangent and discuss the dullness, the lack of reality, the price gouging, the fascism that prevails here. Let's stick to the topic. People talk about LA and the superficial, this county can give it a good run for the money. My god, amongst all the government intrusion, is there a law against smiling? Do people here know how to rotate their jaw to do such a thing? The old adage that "money can't buy happiness" never ringed so true here. Never have there been more selfish, angry, miserable SOBS driving around in their over-priced Jaguars, Lexuses, and BMWs than here. Just listening to the conversations and I know now how Webster's dictionary was able to recognize the term, "pretentious". People blow their horns for no reason what so ever as though just seeing Manhattan in the skyline is excuse enough. Children are handed the keys to daddy's new BMW at 16 and are instilled with ZERO discipline. Yes why this seems to be a national epidemic, trust me, it goes a step higher in these parts.

-Massachusetts/Southern New England: You think the term "Mass-hole" is just born out of convenience? No one from NH or Maine can stand a good percentage of the residents and for good reason. Rude drivers. Can't smile. Cold. CT and RI aren't much better. I've run across residents thousands of miles away and still when you strike up a conversation as to where they precisely live, you would have thought you were asking them to sign their birth certificate. Parts of metropolitan NY city, though still down on my list, I think get a bad rap as opposed to Boston. And at least NY understands how to read and utilize pedestrain cross signals. Jay walking is one thing. Jay walking right into the middle of vehicular traffic that has the right of way is another. Western Mass also is bad due to all the militant female colleges and overpriced private colleges that are an outlet for some spoiled, vile college aged brats out of touch with reality.

-Portland, Maine: south of Portland, people are generally warm. North of Portland? Its a hit or miss and I don't know if its the bad weather and how desolute it is other than the summer season, but there are more just plain WEIRD people than any where. Portland I think is caught in between. There are some angry folks around this city- not just cold, but look at all the hate-filled political rhetoric splattered on alot of vehicles. I think alot of these folks must have graduated from college some where in western Mass.

-DC region: So many transients, so few that say they like it here. Northern Virginia is the worst of all. Maryland side isn't much better all the way up to Columbia, and even as you get closer to Baltimore, some would argue it isn't any better. Rude drivers. No one is cheerful and most only live here because of the alluring $$$. No one is neighborly, which seems to generally be a problem in alot of transient-rich towns/cities. The root cause? It is WAY too populated. Most aren't versed in the city life and drive their vehicles to get any where locally. Not nearly enough use public transportation. The traffic is horrific. Not just the beltway, but it is mind numbing the amount of cars on some beautiful back roads in N. Virginia that are now main accesss to ever expanding suburbia. I know how awful places like LA, NY, Seattle and Boston are first-hand, but DC traffic is the WORST.

-Eastern Pennsylvania: it isn't just Philly folks.

-Central Florida: Orlando is one giant cess pool of road rage. Southerners hate the northerners. Everyone hates the lost tourists who drive way too slow. Alot of crime and less than neighborly folks. Much of the same problems that plague DC are synonomous w/ this region (large tranisent population and so forth)

-Highland, Indiana: Yes just one town, a suburb of Chicago, can make this list. I thought it was an aberration at first. But I did spend much time here work-wise and having know someone from here. Miserable, vile human beings let me tell you!

-Cleveland, Buffalo, parts of western PA: it is the lake effect weather I am convinced.

-LA and SF regions: I think it is obvious to most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

24 posts, read 64,489 times
It's all subjective, of course.

I'm trying to find nice people too. People just aren't very nice these days. I think it's a very nasty political climate right now. Religious people are worrying that there is a spiritual vacuum and they are being reactionary about it. Left wing people worry that corporations are ruining the planet and slowly destroying our democracy. Moderates and right wingers worry about their mortgage.

Then there is the immigration thing. So people don't get along for those reasons.

Personally, what makes me happy is having a place to work where people treat each other with decency. Having a house that I can afford in a half-decent neighborhood. Having friends, groups, hobbies. And being able to see my family as much as possible.

The where is becoming less and less important. I'm even seriously looking at places like Pittsburgh and Denver.

But I'm a skeptical guy who likes people who speak their mind. People are not comfortable with that. I'm not mean or anything, I just don't like to listen to bull****. Most places where people are supposed to be "nice" don't like that kind of person. They like to plaster on that smile and judge. Well, I don't find that very friendly at all.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 PM

275 posts, read 780,463 times
Hampton Roads is still pretty courteous. People still act as if they have manners when you hold a door, or bump into each other. I mean, yeah, you do have the jerks who won't say "thank you" or "excuse me", but it's more courtesy than anything. It's also not uncommon to walk down the street and say "hello" to a random person.

A friend of mine moved to Portland, OR last month and told me good things about the place.

I think it's all subjective. Someone from say, New York might say we're sickeningly sweet, where someone from here could say New Yorkers are rude. I wouldn't say they're rude, it's just they're used to a more fast-paced, get-up-and-go mentality, no time for small talk...nothing personal.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,582,911 times
They're all in Utah

Old 07-10-2007, 05:45 AM

786 posts, read 4,319,743 times
I agree that many people in Northern Va are not so nice. I encounter people who seem nice because they want something from me. If I can not do anything for them, I am no one in their eye.

I believe the best people live in the Midwest. The worst live in the area between Washington and Boston.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 AM

396 posts, read 1,513,569 times
I found people in the northern suburbs of Columbus(Dublin, Westerville, Powell) to be very friendly.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,607,760 times
Default Michigan

Hello all,
I have to agree with an earlier poster that in general the folks in Michigan are angry and depressed...can't say I blame them, given the sour economy and gray weather.....though now it's sizzling hot. Too hot. This state has lost 300,000 jobs since 2000, mostly from auto-related industries, but other companies are moving out too: Pfizer, Comerica, etc. It's a bad place to be IMO and I'd love to move someplace with a better economy, jobs, good health insurance, modest cost of living and moderate weather (I'd take cold over hot any day personally). Any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:25 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Any suggestions?
Start a war with Ohio ... although the Michigan left will probably be like "No War for Cleveland!" or some psssht like that.
Not that you need to START a war. Ohio's been at war with Michigan since forever. We should fight back.

No, this isn't my gubernatorial election campaign announcement. I'm not out here to make fun of Mole's lameduck-ness.
When you have your very own Mole, you need to support here 100%.

Midwesterners are great people! Now, get off my lawn.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,253,023 times
I would like to think that Mainers, as a group, are pretty friendly. Some people "from away" find the New England reserve a bit hard to get used to, but once Mainers get to know a person, and that person isn't a total jerk, they are usually accepted with friendship.

I also think that the further north you go, putting lots of distance between yourself and Massachusetts, the friendlier people are as well. By the time you reach the Downeast Coast, you'd think you've lived there forever.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,184 times
I can't recall meeting any truly nasty people in Iowa, Missouri, or Wisconsin. I think these forums on C-D have their share of complainers, and all the nice people are working at the gas stations or tending their gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or