U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 AM

29 posts, read 118,247 times

Advertisements

Nice People Anywhere?
The thing is: you will have a smattering of them everywhere.

I've traveled all over this little planet and there's not just one place where all the nice people congregate (except for The Nice People convention in Vegas last year).
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
Thumbs up Most Friendly & Unfriendly Areas

Here is our opinion:

Nicest people in the US:

San Diego, CA
Loveland, CO
Durango, CO

Most unfriendly people in the US:

Midlothian, TX

It is our opinion that Texas has a deep rooted problem with accepting anybody not from Texas in addition to anybody different (race, etc.) or with different opnions. This hatred is blatantly evident in the small local government (it is tolerated and appears to be encouraged) as well as at higher levels of government. Many appear (even in some churches) to present a facade of hospitality while underneath the sincerity is just not there.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,884,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel32 View Post
Here is our opinion:

Nicest people in the US:

San Diego, CA
Loveland, CO
Durango, CO

Midlothian, TX

It is our opinion that Texas has a deep rooted problem with accepting anybody not from Texas in addition to anybody different (race, etc.) or with different opnions. This hatred is blatantly evident in the small local government (it is tolerated and appears to be encouraged) as well as at higher levels of government. Many appear (even in some churches) to present a facade of hospitality while underneath the sincerity is just not there.
Maybe it was your attitude in Texas! I moved to Texas for college from New York and I have never come across any dislike or disgust toward me at all in 5 years living here so far. The people are the best here! Upstate New Yorkers (Rochester, Finger Lakes etc.) are a close second. Southern Californians are the most unfriendly to me which seems to be what most others think

Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,919,821 times
The Midwest or the South IMO are your best bets as far as friendliness goes.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,794,159 times
I've met nice people everywhere including LA and NY. Do you mean welcoming of newcomers?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 PM

31 posts, read 78,681 times
Montgomery County Maryland had some of the nastiest, least friendly, and most arrogant people I've ever encountered. The rest of Maryland was pretty much the same way (at least the urban areas). One isn't likely to form a good impression of a place when out for an evening walk you have carloads of teens shouting the f-word at you-not once but on three occasions !

Old 12-23-2007, 06:23 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,463,900 times
Quote:
Here is our opinion:

Nicest people in the US:

San Diego, CA
Loveland, CO
Durango, CO

Midlothian, TX

It is our opinion that Texas has a deep rooted problem with accepting anybody not from Texas in addition to anybody different (race, etc.) or with different opnions.
This hatred is blatantly evident in the small local government (it is tolerated and appears to be encouraged) as well as at higher levels of government. Many appear (even in some churches) to present a facade of hospitality while underneath the sincerity is just not there.
So that explains why Texas is the second most populous state in the country and among the fastest-growing! Perhaps it should be your opinion that Midlothian, Texas is all of those things based on your experience there, not the entire state.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 AM

83 posts, read 312,488 times
Quote:
Here is our opinion:

Nicest people in the US:

San Diego, CA
Loveland, CO
Durango, CO

Midlothian, TX

It is our opinion that Texas has a deep rooted problem with accepting anybody not from Texas in addition to anybody different (race, etc.) or with different opnions.
Texas overall is a nice state, but I do agree that they have a hard time accepting anyone not from Texas, I came here from California and was talking to my neighbors about how beautiful Cali is and how great the weather always is, and one of them told me I should go back if I just love it there so much.

By the way I live in Midlothian, Tx Maybe it's all the toxic pollution getting into their brains...

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,310,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
Texas overall is a nice state, but I do agree that they have a hard time accepting anyone not from Texas, I came here from California and was talking to my neighbors about how beautiful Cali is and how great the weather always is, and one of them told me I should go back if I just love it there so much.

By the way I live in Midlothian, Tx Maybe it's all the toxic pollution getting into their brains...
Um, I would have said the same thing your neighbors did. No one wants to hear someone move to a new place and then start knocking it and comparing it to their former residence and how grand the former was. The reaction you got should be expected no matter WHERE in this great big world you are. I would not dare go to California or anywhere and start off telling them how much better things are here in Texas and such. I sure would not make friends fast We don't have a hard time accepting anyone if they are respectful. I personally don't care to have very disrepectful in my home and I'm sure most people don't either. Texas is our home and we just want those living here to be respectful of her and her occupants.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:41 PM

631 posts, read 1,972,216 times
To answer the thread title in a word: everywhere.

Just like there are unfriendly people.

It's a ridiculous question, as far as I'm concerned, because I've met great people everywhere I've gone. All it takes is a smile and a friendly disposition. Effect? Conversation.

Nice stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or