U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Twilight Zone
875 posts, read 812,909 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

The nicest people I have ever met, were in southwestern Virginia. Very real people with that southern hospitality thing going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 37,253,110 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Why do you automatically "assume" the poster was knocking Texas just because she was speaking about California?? That's something that just fries me.....so MANY people in this forum assume the worst about people just because they may not view Texas the same way they do.

Do you ever consider maybe people ask what California's like because they've never been there? I've had several people ask me that very question. I don't wear a shirt saying "I'm from California" on the back, but there have been many instances when I've had to ask for directions and said I'm new to the area...and so it goes..leading into where are you from question.

I don't understand why you think it's a crime to love where you moved from, or love your home state. Not everyone moves because they didn't like where they moved from.....nor do they have to love everything about where they moved to.

I haven't found this area of Texas to have an over-abundance of friendly people either, whether I'm in Dallas, or any of the burbs....and no, it's not me. I've never had trouble making friends in any state I've lived in except this one.
I did not "assume" anything. I was also not be "disrecpetvul" or "rude" as you ASSUMED in your neg comment to me. I KNEW the poster was specifically knocking Texas as I read her posts. I was just letting her know that if someone starts off going on and on about how great someplace is that they moved from while putting down their current residence they are going to catch flak (which she has done in every single post - every time I read a comment like hers I always see the posters other posts just to make sure I'm understanding where they are coming from). I don't care if others don't view my home state the same way as I. BUT, when they come in and start saying inflammatory comments that are complete rubbish.......... well, like I said to her, you don't go into someones home and immediately start telling them how much better YOUR home is than theirs. THAT is rude to the fullest.

I've NEVER said it was a crime to love ones home state. I LOVE mine dearly. The BIG difference is I don't knock other states. I ENJOY the differences. If they were all the same it would be incredibly boring.

Sorry you have not found the Dallas Metroplex "friendly". Then again you do live in an area that is VERY popular by transplants w/ the majority of them being very transient and disconnected. An overwhelming majority of the people that reside in the Dallas Metro area are NOT from Texas. They have brought their own "attitude" with them be it good, bad, indifferent. No one is going to change overnight and all of a sudden be flowing Southern Hospitality just because they now live in Texas. Texas and Dallas have seen a HUGE influx of people probably more so than any other state/city of people from SOOO MANY different states AND countries. They all come w/ baggage and their own personal personality. So don't blame us Natives if those around you are unfriendly. They could very well be natives of your own home state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Twilight Zone
875 posts, read 812,909 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I did not "assume" anything. I was also not be "disrecpetvul" or "rude" as you ASSUMED in your neg comment to me. I KNEW the poster was specifically knocking Texas as I read her posts. I was just letting her know that if someone starts off going on and on about how great someplace is that they moved from while putting down their current residence they are going to catch flak (which she has done in every single post - every time I read a comment like hers I always see the posters other posts just to make sure I'm understanding where they are coming from).

You didn't know any such thing.....unless you were there while she was talking to her neighbor, you "assumed" what she said, and how she said it. You also "assumed" it was me who gave you a bad rep.

I don't care if others don't view my home state the same way as I. BUT, when they come in and start saying inflammatory comments that are complete rubbish.......... well, like I said to her, you don't go into someones home and immediately start telling them how much better YOUR home is than theirs. THAT is rude to the fullest.

I hardly think being on the internet is like going into someones home in the real world. Do you speak to people in person dripping with sarcasm as you do in this forum? Probably not.

I've NEVER said it was a crime to love ones home state. I LOVE mine dearly. The BIG difference is I don't knock other states. I ENJOY the differences. If they were all the same it would be incredibly boring.

Sorry you have not found the Dallas Metroplex "friendly". Then again you do live in an area that is VERY popular by transplants w/ the majority of them being very transient and disconnected. An overwhelming majority of the people that reside in the Dallas Metro area are NOT from Texas.

I qualified my statement with whether being in Dallas, or any of the burbs. Whether people are "from" Texas or not, they're here, and that's what newcomers will base their experiences on.

They have brought their own "attitude" with them be it good, bad, indifferent. No one is going to change overnight and all of a sudden be flowing Southern Hospitality just because they now live in Texas. Texas and Dallas have seen a HUGE influx of people probably more so than any other state/city of people from SOOO MANY different states AND countries. They all come w/ baggage and their own personal personality. So don't blame us Natives if those around you are unfriendly. They could very well be natives of your own home state
So as usual, the Texans blame out-of-staters.....there's only so long you can pass the buck blaming other people. Other large cities in many different states have seen the same percentages of people moving into their areas and you don't see them talking crap about their new residents.....it's a Texas thing, over inflated self importance. That attitude is what gives Texas, and Texans a bad rep.

Last edited by ladysrodgers; 01-19-2008 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Twilight Zone
875 posts, read 812,909 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, saying something good about Cali is not saying something bad about Texas. I think all 'old-timers' should give newcomers a break. Some are just homesick, and the talk about how great it is in their old place dies down as they get meet people, make friends, get involved in activities, etc.
I would agree with you about giving newcomers a break, but I don't see that happening at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 PM
 
1,604 posts, read 3,502,177 times
Reputation: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
I found people in the northern suburbs of Columbus(Dublin, Westerville, Powell) to be very friendly.
I have a roommate who is on the Lacrosse team and comes from the suburbs of Columbus (the other one comes from Long Island), and out of all of the people I know on that team (who I am associates with), the one from the Columbus area is one of the nicer ones (or to say it better, he doesn't reflect the non-stereotypical lacrosse player image).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,281,789 times
Reputation: 464
Midwesterners aren't in the business of rubbing each other's backs for free. Meanwhile, the whole southern hospitality thing is a sham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Coastal South Carolina
330 posts, read 1,085,577 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Meanwhile, the whole southern hospitality thing is a sham.

Oh I disagree. Southern hospitality does still exist in some areas!

Come on down to the Charleston SC area and you'll find that everyone smiles and waves hello, even to complete strangers and if you need help with anything they will go out of their way to help you. I received thoughtful Christmas presents from 4 of my neighbors and I don't even know them that well!

I moved here from NJ almost 2 years ago and I have to admit, at first I was taken aback by it all because I wasn't used to it. When we first moved in and we were standing outside of our home, everyone that drove by waved hello. We kept looking around to see who they were waving at! Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Life is so much easier when people smile and treat you nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
So as usual, the Texans blame out-of-staters.....there's only so long you can pass the buck blaming other people. Other large cities in many different states have seen the same percentages of people moving into their areas and you don't see them talking crap about their new residents.....it's a Texas thing, over inflated self importance. That attitude is what gives Texas, and Texans a bad rep.
Actually almost every state forum seems to have threads about the problems Californians are causing. Texas gets a bad reputation from those idiots in the media which in alot of cases is based in Southern California even though they have probably never even lived in Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Twilight Zone
875 posts, read 812,909 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Actually almost every state forum seems to have threads about the problems Californians are causing. Texas gets a bad reputation from those idiots in the media which in alot of cases is based in Southern California even though they have probably never even lived in Texas!
Yeah the outlandish celebs may be part of it, but I'm talking about blaming every negative scenario in the metroplex being blamed on transplants. I don't think it's so much the problems Californians are causing, as it is the jealousy and resentment shown towards them for being able to afford a nice home wherever they've moved to.

When I got my drivers license I commented to the person behind the counter about the traffic and crazy drivers here....she said the same thing; there are so many transplants. If that's the case, then why doesn't Texas have a written test?? How are people supposed to know what the driving laws are if there's no test? That just doesn't make sense to me. And with no test, there doesn't seem to be any booklet to inform people what the laws are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 AM
 
893 posts, read 444,906 times
Reputation: 431
I must admit first impressions ARE what stick out in your mind. The first two months moving from Georgia to CT were awful. We lived in an apartment in Fairfield county while waiting to buy a house. That was an experience I never want to go through again. People there don't make eye contact let alone speak and if you get them to talk they do so either surprised or begrudgingly. It was a very lonely two months. Now that we are in Litchfield County people are friendlier, but first impressions stick with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top