U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM

893 posts, read 445,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Midwesterners aren't in the business of rubbing each other's backs for free. Meanwhile, the whole southern hospitality thing is a sham.
Have you been or lived in the south? Small towns tend to be more closed off from newbies but you get anywhere there is some population you can't beat the friendliness. It depends on how friendly you are yourself. I myself grew up in Iowa and lived there 28 years, personally I'd never live there again. Just my choice, going back to the south as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 AM

10 posts, read 63,712 times
Without having the T I M E to read all replies in this thread, I must say....
I'm from Minnesota area....(( AHEM< Minnesota nice...:P) and I am nice and sweet.
I won't talk your head off but my husband will, to anyone. He is MR. Friendly! lol.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,663,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
So - here are my choices of places that I want to visit - tell me if they would be nice, but not fake, & not overly friendly - (obviously I don't mean everyone, or a few, I mean the majority of those that live there) -

Madison, WI
Fairfield, IA (&/or Maharishi Town I know - Vedic City! )
Strong City, KS
Cottonood Falls, KS
Emporia, KS
(can you tell I have a thing for the Flint Hills? )

Any & all places/thoughts on this matter welcome!
And yes, I'm feeling a little better thank you!
I think you should visit Madison. It's a cool town. It's the state capital (lots of history) and also a great college town (great social scene). I would also highly recommend the microbrewery festival there. The people are intelligent and down-to-earth. I think the town has one of the highest education levels in the U.S. People are definitely not fake and not overly friendly - there are still alot of stoic midwest germanic people that live there. I think it fits the bill.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 AM

39 posts, read 148,792 times
As to the long-ago original post:
I've lived all over, all over the whole globe, not just the U.S. From sea to shining sea, mountains, islands, here, there. Some places DO have a better vibe. Some places do have a negative vibe. Of course there are nice and not-nice people all over, yet some places do have a definitely greater share of one or the other, and they LIKE it like that. It's the "culture" of a place. Some places are undeservedly considered positive or negative, often fostered by those who move there and have some ax to grind.

A comment on the little battle about Texas:
I live there now. I've lived in Texas 3 times so far. Anyone understand how big Texas is? How different the areas? But regardless, this is true: If you come here, or ANYWHERE, and start up with how it was BACK WHERE YOU FLED FROM, then you aren't going to be well-received, at all. There is a big, big difference between talking about how pretty Spring is where you came from, and talking about how pretty Spring is where you came from and how UGLY City X in Texas is in comparison. There is a big difference between complimenting your first bowl of Texas chili, and complimenting the bowl of chili followed up by a remark that it isn't as good as the chowder where you come from. Well, go back, then. Because that ain't nice and you're bringing City X down by negative vibes, which beget more negative vibes, until the place is just full of them.

I think it's that some folks are SOUR. They can't enjoy things. They can't stretch their hearts enough to love a whole lot of places and things. New things challenge them and they get scared. For me, every place I've lived, I have seen the good and winked at the bad. If it's that bad, I move on. If it's good, I move on anyway! Because there's tons to see. Right now I'm going from the desert to trying to get to Kentucky. I have seen Ky once, from the airplane. It looked pretty. I'm trying for Louisville.

It gets depressing to feel as if the whole U.S. is full of mean folks. The world has many mean folks. There's good and there's bad. My suggestion, if I may, is to treat your locale like a scrapbook of the heart. You don't put ruined pictures in a scrapbook. Don't paste the bad things in your heart's scrapbook. Keep the keepers and throw the gars back. Don't get stupid and start saying a gar is good eating, no. But the gar is just part of the world and plays its part, but I don't want it as part of my scrapbook.

Stretch those hearts! Take in the cool stuff!

I think I need more coffee. I'm mixing up fishing and scrapbooks, what's with that? Just trying to help, the whole forum seems filled with folks who are searching, searching, worried minds, wanting the best for their kids and family, of course, but scared, worried...that's no good. Just be sweet and don't let the external world make you act different than you are.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,663,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameLOL View Post
Stretch those hearts! Take in the cool stuff!

I think I need more coffee. I'm mixing up fishing and scrapbooks, what's with that? Just trying to help, the whole forum seems filled with folks who are searching, searching, worried minds, wanting the best for their kids and family, of course, but scared, worried...that's no good. Just be sweet and don't let the external world make you act different than you are.
Awesome post.... Couldn't agree more.... I've also traveled all over. You gotta take in all the good - and the bad. That's how we grow, appreciate what we have, and improve the world....

Gar IS disgusting... as well as catfish....

Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,547,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
From my experience:

Asheville, NC
Hickory, NC
Greenville, SC
Conway, SC
Knoxville, TN
Hershey, PA
I will agree with friendnc here and would like to add:
Southport, NC

Y'all come visit us now, hear?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 11,273 times
If you have a black complexion , then obviously you need to avoid anything east of New Mexico and South of Kansas in general. Having said that, as I have noticed it pretty much depends on race. Hispanics of the South are very friendly. Most people from Austin (white,black,hispanic etc....) TX is very friendly. The Blacks in the south are kind of both. The asian foreigners in the south are friendly.
Almost all the friendly and nice white people I met in Texas are from either California, New York or some other Northern state. I guess IMHO it depends on what race you are and what kind of attitude you can live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or