Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um, I would have said the same thing your neighbors did. No one wants to hear someone move to a new place and then start knocking it and comparing it to their former residence and how grand the former was. The reaction you got should be expected no matter WHERE in this great big world you are. I would not dare go to California or anywhere and start off telling them how much better things are here in Texas and such. I sure would not make friends fast We don't have a hard time accepting anyone if they are respectful. I personally don't care to have very disrepectful in my home and I'm sure most people don't either. Texas is our home and we just want those living here to be respectful of her and her occupants.
Well, saying something good about Cali is not saying something bad about Texas. I think all 'old-timers' should give newcomers a break. Some are just homesick, and the talk about how great it is in their old place dies down as they get meet people, make friends, get involved in activities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Nice people? Everywhere. INCLUDING LA AND NYC. People are people.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Nice people? Everywhere. INCLUDING LA AND NYC. People are people.
True, but some places have good vibes that bring out the good in people. For example, I was living in Southern Oregon in a beautiful forest town, and everyone was so nice because the setting and the way of life was so good. Clean water, open space, respect, community. These things really made everyone genuinely nice and happy. Even people who probobly weren't so nice would pass through and this good vibe would seem to bring out the best in them too. It was a place where you could drop your guard and be safe.

Now i'm living in a place that is quite the opposite, in So-Cal. There are nice people here. But the overall vibe of this place is bad, fast, rude, competetive, dirty drinking water, no open space, disrespect, tension. And it seems to bring out the worst in people, people that are nice will come here and act a little more aggressive, egotistical and self-centered, because that's the influence this setting has on people's mood.

So if you want nice people, go to a beautiful, clean place where everyone is equal, everyone is respected, an everyone is accepted. This is usually NOT found in a city. But in less populated places.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,009 times
Default America is a land of contradictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
To answer the thread title in a word: everywhere.

Just like there are unfriendly people.

It's a ridiculous question, as far as I'm concerned, because I've met great people everywhere I've gone. All it takes is a smile and a friendly disposition. Effect? Conversation.

Nice stuff.
What a silly comment. I have traveled around America on business and use to be a telemarketer and know that there are vast differences in local culture related to friendliness and niceness. Some places just have a friendlier culture and people respond accordingly. I find the nicest people are in areas with a lower density in towns between 30-100 thousand in the Midwest. Large crowded and dense cities people are stressed and real small towns people are insular.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
What a silly comment. I have traveled around America on business and use to be a telemarketer and know that there are vast differences in local culture related to friendliness and niceness. Some places just have a friendlier culture and people respond accordingly. I find the nicest people are in areas with a lower density in towns between 30-100 thousand in the Midwest. Large crowded and dense cities people are stressed and real small towns people are insular.
Exactly. Anyone who has moved around the U.S. and spent time with people in lots of different places will know this. Lots of people will say "there's nice people everywhere". Well, the word "nice" is relative.

I've been introduced to people in Southern California who I was told are cool and nice, and i'm sure the people who told me this really thought so. But when I meet them, they fall very short of qualifying as cool or nice in my eyes. Sure, they're civil, somewhat decent and friendly enough. But they're also self-absorbed, materialistic, lack any substance and just not thinking for themselves at all, very dull, sheepish people.

In other parts of the U.S. these "nice" SoCal people would be considered rude and arrogant right off the bat for sure. It is easy to be nice on the surface level, but what kind of depth do you really have?

For a more radical example, look at the difference in culture between the U.S. and a foreign country. A totally "nice" person from a country across the globe would probobly be seen as unnacceptable by most Americans. Like the cultural misunderstandings between the people of the Middle East and America.

So watch out for words like "cool" and "nice", they get overused, and lots of people don't even know what they really mean, especially when talking about people. A person's idea of what "nice" is, is completely subjective, an often seen through a narrow vision.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-11-2008 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,164 times
I don't think you can generalize about a place where people are "nice" or "not nice," for that matter. You will find all kinds in all places and I think probably in similar proportions, whether the town has 500 or 5 million people. It's all going to depend on whom you meet first - they leave the lasting impression, it seems!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I definitely agree with the above. I think there are cultural differences, e.g. "Southern hospitality", "Minnesota nice", etc. But I think truly nice people are the same everywhere.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
I met a nice person once, but now I can't remember where that was. She probably moved away by now.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um, I would have said the same thing your neighbors did. No one wants to hear someone move to a new place and then start knocking it and comparing it to their former residence and how grand the former was. The reaction you got should be expected no matter WHERE in this great big world you are. I would not dare go to California or anywhere and start off telling them how much better things are here in Texas and such. I sure would not make friends fast We don't have a hard time accepting anyone if they are respectful. I personally don't care to have very disrepectful in my home and I'm sure most people don't either. Texas is our home and we just want those living here to be respectful of her and her occupants.
Why do you automatically "assume" the poster was knocking Texas just because she was speaking about California?? That's something that just fries me.....so MANY people in this forum assume the worst about people just because they may not view Texas the same way they do.

Do you ever consider maybe people ask what California's like because they've never been there? I've had several people ask me that very question. I don't wear a shirt saying "I'm from California" on the back, but there have been many instances when I've had to ask for directions and said I'm new to the area...and so it goes..leading into where are you from question.

I don't understand why you think it's a crime to love where you moved from, or love your home state. Not everyone moves because they didn't like where they moved from.....nor do they have to love everything about where they moved to.

I haven't found this area of Texas to have an over-abundance of friendly people either, whether I'm in Dallas, or any of the burbs....and no, it's not me. I've never had trouble making friends in any state I've lived in except this one.

Last edited by ladysrodgers; 01-18-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
The tighter you crowd the rats together the more they chew on each other !
Ahhhaaaaaa Montana how sweet it is to be poor !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.