U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add - you say you didn't add LA to this list because of public transportation; you did add Long Beach, though, which while technically its own city is considered part of the LA area. LA actually has far better public transportation than people realize, so you might be able to get on better than you think (I lived there for three years without driving). Still, if you don't want LA, then you probably don't want Long Beach, either.

And I realize that my last post overlooked the fact that your'e considering going to school here and then getting a job - that sounds like a smart way to do it. Boston may well be your best bet, then - you know you like it, there are tons of schools there, and while not really affordable, it's cheaper than some of your other top choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 AM

105 posts, read 120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I forgot to add - you say you didn't add LA to this list because of public transportation; you did add Long Beach, though, which while technically its own city is considered part of the LA area. LA actually has far better public transportation than people realize, so you might be able to get on better than you think (I lived there for three years without driving). Still, if you don't want LA, then you probably don't want Long Beach, either.

And I realize that my last post overlooked the fact that your'e considering going to school here and then getting a job - that sounds like a smart way to do it. Boston may well be your best bet, then - you know you like it, there are tons of schools there, and while not really affordable, it's cheaper than some of your other top choices.
Hey, on the college front,

I've looked at some colleges like Boston University and Boston College etc, but the fees range from as little as $6,000 to $50,000, I'm not sure if thats for a masters of BSc though! Are all colleges that expensive?

Also like I said if I were to do a postgrad course in the states (seriously thinkin of it) would I have to leave the instant I complete it or, am I allowed to stay for a little longer and find a job, or what, do you know how that works? I've looked on the govs website, to no avail.

Thanks again for your reply

Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,387,121 times
Out of your list, and after reading your preferences I'd say Seattle, Chicago, and Philly should remain on your list. DC is right on the cusp but might be a little too expensive.

As far as nightlife and entertainment, jobs, and public transportation. Chicago wins hands down. Philly wins on the affordability front. Seattle could be an option if you like the outdoors.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,613,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
I've looked at some colleges like Boston University and Boston College etc, but the fees range from as little as $6,000 to $50,000, I'm not sure if thats for a masters of BSc though! Are all colleges that expensive?
Private colleges range from about $30,000 for the average to $50,000 for the name brand(NYU, BU, etc.). Out of state for public colleges will run anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,564,868 times
Also, if you're thinking about Philadelphia; you should talk to a local about the neighborhoods. Philly has some great, safe neighborhoods, but it also has quite a few bad areas with a lot of crime.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:34 PM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Thanks lads for the replies, OK so yeah re-reading the post, its a bit vague.

Basically what I'm looking for is:

- Big City - lots of people, but not very spread out, as driving won't be an option (why I didn't put LA down)

- Irish communities would be nice, but I don't really want to live with them, as I don't want to be isolated, I like America for its diversity, and want to mix with everyone!

-Great transport, if ever I get stranded at 3 or 4am I know I'll be able to go somewhere.

-Good social scene, nightlife, but has some areas that are quiet.

-Good on the jobs front.

-Somewhere safe, I know Irish people have an awful reputation over there, so somewhere diverse and welcoming, where people wont judge you by some idiots who share the same heritage of you.

-Lots of stuff to do, like good sports teams etc.

-Climate doesn't matter to much to me, but maybe cold in the winter, and sunny in the summer? I like the sun, but I don't think my skin could take it all year round, the max it gets where I am is about 20C and thats rare, but having said that I stayed in Greece for a while and it was mid 40C so i can probably handle it!

I really like Boston, as its a very historical city, and has the celtics :P but I'm thinking its VERY expensive to live there.

I'd like to thank everyone who replied, its very nice of you

I'm thinking, if I get the money in order, I would do a MSc in the states, so I can further my education, and possibly get a nice job upon graduation.

Cheers,

Tim
Again, Syracuse would be fine. Like others said, the cities you mentioned aren't as affordable as you might think. It's a city with "diversity", that still has nice urban neighborhoods, our bus system is one of the best system in the country for cities of similar size and much more. I think if you lived here, you would like the Westcott or University neighborhood. Both of those neighborhoods are by Syracuse University, are diverse, has a couple of nice and cute business districts in the area and there is even the Westcott Cultural Fair in September:Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Also, here are some good higher education institutions in Syracuse: Syracuse University

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 PM

481 posts, read 1,636,841 times
For getting a job in the U.S., look into getting an H-1B Visa. Start with the wikipedia entry for it and for some other options, and go on from there. With the current economic climate and H-1B quotas and years-long waits for green cards, then where you live post-graduation will heavily depend on what kind of work you can land.

Yes, college is pretty expensive over here. Like health care, its one of the "must haves" that people will pay anything to get - meaning rates are allowed to rise without any real check on them. There are some excellent state programs though (such as the University of Minnesota) which makes it more affordable.

For cities - with your Uncle in Boston I'd stick with that. You may need to crash his couch or depend on him in other ways. Boston is not the most affordable city but better than most of the "A" list places you mentioned, and there's probably sufficient mass transit that you can find someplace further out and still be car free if you need to be.

B List cities like Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Raleigh/Research Triangle, Austin, etc, can also be very worthwhile looking into (sorry, I've never seen Syracuse in this kind of list but I've also never seen it in any "avoidable city" list either; I do know upstate NY is kind of dicey employment-wise). Excellent quality of life and affordable, and with fewer of the A-List hassles. If you were coming in with 5 or 10 years experience in the field, or we had a better social safety net I'd recommend them, but you're better off having an uncle you can fall back on.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,666,910 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm Irish and currently doing a Bsc in Computer Science, and upon completition of it, I would love to emigrate to the United States (My uncle lives in Boston, and I visited once, and the instant I stepped back in Ireland I wanted to go back, I love the states, and would love to work there etc)

Now I'm wondering which of the following would be the most affordable, and least crime ridden cities:

Boston
Seattle
DC
San Fran
Philly
Chicago
Long Beach Area
NYC

I'm just in the thinking/planning stages as I don't graduate for a while, but I'd like to get some input on this.

Cheers Guys,

Tim
None are very affordable but each will probably pay a salary that helps offset the high cost of living in that city.

Safety, I can tell you that New York City is probably the safest major city in the US and has been for probably over a decade now. Boston and Seattle are pretty safe I believe. I've found Los Angeles to be safe but there it really depends on the part of L.A. you're in. Long Beach is not a "safe" area near L.A. Philly is pretty safe but again it has some really dangerous sections. DC is pretty bad. San Fran depends on which part but at night it seems to get very, very seedy. It's a beautiful place though and I felt safe during the day there.

EDIT:

After reading your second list, I think Boston or NY City are the best for you. First of all, everything on your list is expensive. So if you want cheaper, you need a new list altogether.

Boston is VERY Irish, and the winters are much harsher. It's more cramped actually because the city itself is much smaller than NY. It's beautiful, it's decent and it's somewhat diverse. It's a good option for you.

New York is the better option, I think. We have a huge Irish community but there are no real Irish neighborhoods, so you won't ever get sucked into hanging out with all Irish people all the time and not experiencing the diversity (as I would think would happen to you in Boston). In NY, the people are much more mixed, there are more diverse ethnicities, and it's a bigger and more happening town.

As for transportation, in Boston you are limited by the "T" which covers their smaller city and some suburbs. In NYC you have the subway which covers the five boroughs, and that is a LOT of area. The "T" shuts down at a certain time at night, but the NYC subways are 24/7/365 - you are never 'stranded' in NYC. Also, from NYC you can easily and cheaply visit Boston, Philly, Baltimore and D.C. - all are within 4 hours or so (maybe 5 by bus/train; Philly is only 2 hours or less no matter how you go). Another thing is that Boston shuts down by 1 (maybe 2 now?) AM. Last call in a bar or club is just before 1 AM and then you're thrown out onto the street. Seems to result in a lot of people taking drunkenness out into the streets because they were right in the middle of getting drunk. In NYC, bars are open till 4 AM, and if you're still looking to party there are plenty of "after-hours" clubs - you can keep "partying" till the next afternoon in many cases. In Boston, food is scarce late at night - in NYC, it's all over the place. 3 AM and you have your choice of burgers, gyros, pizza, thai food, chinese food - you name it.

I highly recommend NY City. It's going to be expensive but not much worse than any other place on your list. You'll get much more out of it, though. With the city's transit system you can get around no problem, and you can even travel outside of the city very easily. Want to go to the beach? Take the Long Island Rail Road to Long Island and hit those beaches, or better yet, take a train from Penn Station to Secaucus, NJ (about a 10 minute train ride), and switch to a NJ train that goes to the Jersey Shore. A couple hours later you're at a beautiful, clean beach with warm water and boardwalk and plenty of restaurants, activities, bars, etc.

Maybe you want a day away - hop a bus to Atlantic City, NJ - in 3 hours you're there, they charge you $35 and give you back $20 when you get there. Gamble if you want, or just stroll the boardwalk and take in a good meal. Or hit the beach and swim.

NY City is the one for you. If you can't afford it, then you can't really afford those other cities, except possibly Seattle.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 04-27-2009 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,666,910 times
Quote:
Hey, on the college front,

Also like I said if I were to do a postgrad course in the states (seriously thinkin of it) would I have to leave the instant I complete it or, am I allowed to stay for a little longer and find a job, or what, do you know how that works? I've looked on the govs website, to no avail.

Thanks again for your reply
Public colleges and universities are ALWAYS a better value for the money. Some are better than others, so you can research the ones near where you will be living, but the private schools, as good or great as some of them may be, are just way overpriced. Also, many public schools may offer some kind of break for international students, check around.

I know an Estonian girl who was allowed to stay around for about 6 or 9 months - maybe a year? - after finishing school, but without finding a job she had to leave. She came back within a few months to continue school on a new student visa. That's the best I can tell you, that's all I know from second-hand experience.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,760,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Public colleges and universities are ALWAYS a better value for the money. Some are better than others, so you can research the ones near where you will be living, but the private schools, as good or great as some of them may be, are just way overpriced. Also, many public schools may offer some kind of break for international students, check around.
If you're studying a technical subject, and it sounds like you are, I wouldn't pay out of pocket for graduate school. I'd either go one of two routes:

1. Find a research assistantship that will pay for your grad school. There's plenty of them out there in engineering, Computer Science, and the hard sciences to go around, particularly if you look enough places. You may, however, have to give up the idea of living in one particular city, and, instead, find the best university you possibly can to sponsor you.

2. Find a company who will sponsor you to go to grad school at night. Most big tech companies will do so, provided it doesn't impact your performance at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or