U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
1 posts, read 1,516 times
Reputation: 10


For a English man to move to the U.S.A if he hasnt got $200,00 to invest into a company, hasnt got 37k to support himself and has not got no qulivacations and got no family over there, but has trades of being a chef?
please help all input will be gratefully recieved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 AM
6,764 posts, read 19,765,290 times
Reputation: 4688
Have you tried to apply here for schooling? Maybe further training to make you a really qualified chef so your skills would be in need in the USA? Have you thought about researching grants for culinary schools in the USA?

It's not easy to be a legal immigrant to the USA. Especially if you come from an English speaking country. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 13,363,313 times
Reputation: 1792
I concur with GypsySoul. The best way to legally be admitted into the U.S. is through educational means. This is generally expensive but grants and scholarships do exist. Then while over here, you can network and hopefully find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,206,001 times
Reputation: 1076
Buy a plane ticket, arrive in the USA, obtain your 90 day on-arrival visa, overstay said visa, find an apartment, start working (hopefully you will have obtained work beforehand).

There are 20 million illegal Mexicans in the USA, I don't think the INS has the resources to find one British guy. Furthermore, a lot of chefs are illegal hispanic immigrants, especially in the Northeast, so I doubt restaurants would be overly concerned about your status, and if they are just get some fake ID cards like the Mexicans do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top