U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 PM

35 posts, read 184,829 times

Advertisements

I can't help but to think of where i want to live after finishing my studies.

What city would be good for me to live in with this criteria?

-Metro/Urban area, very lively, restaurants/shopping in walking distance.
-Low cost of living
-Relatively cheap real estate
-Similar to New York, Los Angeles, or New Orleans.

I'm looking to spend $700 per month on an apartment straight out of college. (1bed/1bath,250+ sq. feet)

(Please move if this is in the wrong place)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Syracuse, NY.....Very affordable real estate and you could get a nice 2 bedroom apartment for that much, easily. Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

syracuse all housing classifieds - craigslist

Central New York Jobs

Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,666,910 times
-Low cost of living

Some suggestions:

Austin - you'd get to stay in TX and it's got low cost of living and real estate. It's very small compared to the three you mentioned although it has similarities to NYC's East Village, with L.A.'s weather, and New Orleans' southern culture. It's just smaller...

Philly - a little higher cost of living and real estate but for one of the MAJOR cities in the nation it's actually "cheap". Your higher salary there will help offset higher costs. Weather is good, the winters are cold and a bit snowy, but not too bad.

Las Vegas - very Los Angeles-ish, very cheap real estate and low cost of living, within your price range for an apartment, easily (and you'll probably get a pool and a 2 BR apt, probably also a gym or other amenities in your complex). Nightlife rivals that L.A. and NYC. Debauchery rivals that of New Orleans, L.A. and NYC. Great weather but heat is extreme for 2 to 3 months in summer. FUN city, beautiful land around it (desert but it's beautiful). Near to L.A., near to Phoenix, near to San Diego, Palm Springs and Coachella Valley. Also near to Utah Skiing, near to desert attractions like Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Mojave, Great Basin. Immediately nearby you have Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, Lake Mead (for great boating, fishing, even swimming, those most swimming in Vegas is in pools), Mt Charleston (a real mountain which is snow-covered at top in winter, great escape from the desert) and more...

If I were you, I'd probably choose Vegas. As long as you don't have a gambling problem you'll thrive there. Downside - lots of tourists/transients, so it's hard to make lasting friends, hard to find a mate; however, the city is growing and is already somewhat grown so it's not like there are no full-time citizens of the city there, so it may not be so hard to find friends and romantic interests these days. You would just have to know the person's situation, it's tough to connect with someone, either romantically or as a friend, who moved to town a year ago and moves away after you know them 6 months more because their move to Vegas was a kind of fling...

Still, if I were in your position, I'd choose Vegas. From there, after you make a little money and get established, I'd say look to the West Coast - L.A. or San Diego, even SF Bay Area.

Also, from Vegas, you can travel to the West Coast cities to check them out. You can drive to L.A., San Diego, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, even to Reno... You can easily fly to San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Reno/Tahoe. So live in Vegas 2 to 5 years, save money, enjoy life, explore the West, hell, even explore the east - Vegas' airport is such a major one with flights all over the nation, pick a few places you want to visit and take a few long weekends to check them out. I'd recommend NYC, Philly, Chicago, Florida (Tampa and So. Florida - Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami), Denver, Seattle/Portland. Travel for fun but get an idea of where you want to move after Vegas. Or you may decide Vegas is where you want to establish roots, which is great, too.

I wish you all the best. Sounds like you think ahead which is good.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times
Not sure about the "Similar to New York, Los Angeles, or New Orleans" part. Obviously, St. Louis is not nearly as large as New York or Los Angeles. St. Louis city (355k, 62 sq. mi.) is smaller than New Orleans (469k, 350 sq. mi.) but St. Louis city has an overall greater density (5,745 per sq. mi.) than New Orleans (2,518 per sq. mi.). St. Louis metro is very spread out, with a population of about 2.8 million, compared to just over 1 million for New Orleans. Both were settled by the French and have similarly-named French neighborhoods. Both have Mardi Gras (St. Louis Mardi Gras attracts about 500k every year I think).

But from what I've heard some St. Louis neighborhoods fit your other three qualifications. I've heard a lot of good things about The Hill and Dogtown, as well as Soulard, Central West End, and Downtown seems to be getting there. Soulard has Mardi Gras every year.

St. Louis Downtown has seen a rebirth. In 1999, there were seventy abandoned buildings Downtown, today, there are fewer than a dozen. 82% of sale units are occupied, and 90% of rental unites are occupied. Still, some Downtown apartments can be had for under $900 a month (although some are income-restricted, meaning if you make less you pay a lower rate).

And from what I've seen on Craigslist, $700 a month is certainly doable in most parts of the city.

And you can sometimes buy a nice 3 BR for $200k (or occasionally less, especially right now).
This one in Tower Grove East looks nice: http://cbgundaker.com/search/advance...62758&type=res

I don't live in St. Louis, but from what I've heard from others, there could be a possibility for you there. The weather will be temperate of course. It gets pretty hot in the summer, and it snows in the winter. Spring in Missouri is beautiful, though, as is fall. We've already had about a month of daffodils and wildflowers.

St. Louis may work for you. I'd give it a look anyway. It's often overlooked.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 04-25-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,045,996 times
New Orleans. It's one of the cities you listed, so why not move there? New Orleans is the only city you listed where you could realistically rent an apartment for $700.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:02 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,601,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtxman View Post
I can't help but to think of where i want to live after finishing my studies.

What city would be good for me to live in with this criteria?

-Low cost of living

I'm looking to spend $700 per month on an apartment straight out of college. (1bed/1bath,250+ sq. feet)

(Please move if this is in the wrong place)

C'mon down to Houston. For $700 you can actually score a nice apt in a nice neighborhood. You have the sprawl of Los Angeles, urban culture of New York (inside the loop), and you're only a 5 1/2 hour drive from New Orleans. Forget what all the haters say about us on these boards.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,135,417 times
The Philly Metro... stay away from Camden obviously!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 AM

887 posts, read 2,667,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
New Orleans. It's one of the cities you listed, so why not move there? New Orleans is the only city you listed where you could realistically rent an apartment for $700.
I would agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or