Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
great article
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
Anyone here put peanuts in their coke bottle? My folks and I always did....especially on road trips.

I was on a trip with a friend from Georgia and we stopped at a convenience store. I got some peanuts and a coke and I unloaded the bag of peanuts in my coke. He was dumbfounded that people still did that. He was quite a bit older and couldn't believe that people still put peanuts in their coke. I told him that, as a life-long Okie, my family and I had been putting peanuts in our coke bottles as long as I can remember.

Is this a Southern thing or does it happen everywhere?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
1. Conservative voting even when the conservative candidate is obviously not suited for the job and inferior to opponent.

2. Blind loyalty to conservative agendas and candidates even though party has shown itself to be completely inept and a total fraud.

3. Slavery.

4. Jim Crow laws.

5. Racial classifications, distinctions, and categorizations as a matter of course.

6. Obsession with the Bible. Like using God to justify slavery.

7. Laid back (like quicksand).

8. Deceptively friendly (as if a fly and a spider can make a bargain).

9. A shameful confederate subculture.

10. Home of the klan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Under what rock have you been living in the last 50 years? Bless your heart.

Oh, Granny Sue, I can't believe you would say something so ungracious. I'm sure you intended instead to close with the phrase, "Bless your pointy little head."

Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Anyone here put peanuts in their coke bottle? My folks and I always did....especially on road trips.

I was on a trip with a friend from Georgia and we stopped at a convenience store. I got some peanuts and a coke and I unloaded the bag of peanuts in my coke. He was dumbfounded that people still did that. He was quite a bit older and couldn't believe that people still put peanuts in their coke. I told him that, as a life-long Okie, my family and I had been putting peanuts in our coke bottles as long as I can remember.

I do it on occasion

Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM

50 posts, read 134,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

My daddy always did this and got us all addicted to it growing up. We also would put them in grape cokes..Nugrapes especially (I don't think they make them anymore?!) but grape Fanta's work just as well

Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Hi yall,

I have a school assignment I am working on and need to know things that are associated with southern culture? It can be anything.

Thanks!
I can't believe nobody mentioned WAFFLE HOUSE!!!!!
Every single road trip I had on my college baseball or hockey team (was in New Orleans, played teams in Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Georgia and Florida) we always went to Waffle House during our late nights of partying. Every town in the south has a Waffle House!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
That comes from New Jersey, originally
And? It's still a staple of Southern culture.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Oh, Granny Sue, I can't believe you would say something so ungracious. I'm sure you intended instead to close with the phrase, "Bless your pointy little head."
Actually my MeeMaw would have said....

"Weeeeellllll ain't you sumtin, bless yor cottin pickin heart."

Think Jed Clampet.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
1. Conservative voting even when the conservative candidate is obviously not suited for the job and inferior to opponent.

2. Blind loyalty to conservative agendas and candidates even though party has shown itself to be completely inept and a total fraud.

3. Slavery.

4. Jim Crow laws.

5. Racial classifications, distinctions, and categorizations as a matter of course.

6. Obsession with the Bible. Like using God to justify slavery.

7. Laid back (like quicksand).

8. Deceptively friendly (as if a fly and a spider can make a bargain).

9. A shameful confederate subculture.

10. Home of the klan.
Some people blatantly try to start some junk with offensive, immature taunts. Not mentioning any names...

1. It's not uncommon for residents of every U.S. region to vote along party lines - either Democrat or Republican - even if the other party's candidate is obviously better/smarter/more qualified. No one is going to buy your accusation that this practice is uniquely southern. Also, the "conservative" bullying by some people on this forum is really worn out. You need to find some new insults and stop being so last year.

2. See #1...you basically repeated your previous silliness.

3. Slavery? I may be mistaken, but every world power has embraced slavery of people that were perceived to be weaker. The South didn't invent slavery, which by the way existed in every U.S. state at one time in history. Slavery - and secession, and separate but equal, and segregation, and so on - are distant painful memories that some people insist on dragging up to go with their "holier-than-thou" condescension. Things like this only end up making you appear petty and unaware of the truth.

4. See #3. (Didn't Jim Crow sing "Time in a Bottle"? He had laws?)

5. I'm not even sure what you're trying to pin on the South here...but surely you don't think that racial distinction and possibly segregation are in any way southern...those are simply the shameful evils of human beings.

6. I agree, some people are obsessed with their beliefs...but this phenomenon is not unique nor is it limited to the South. For one, 95% of Americans are not obsessed with their religion - they are just normal people that may or may not go to church and believe in something. But a small number of misguided people certainly are obsessed with their religious beliefs and are overzealous. But they aren't even the worst...those who are obsessed with overzealous religious fanatics and continually pay attention to them are the real problem. Not mentioning any names.

I've never heard anyone "use God to justify slavery". Since there IS no justification for slavery, I'm having this stricken from the records.

7. Unclear. (like jibberish)

8. Oops. Was I being friendly again by accident? People everywhere are just individuals. Some are fake, some are brutally honest...some are kind and considerate of one's feelings, some are selfish and cruel. And the majority fall somewhere in the moderate middle.

9. "Shameful" is Confederate Subculture's best song!

There is no Confederate subculture...unless you think a radical, uneducated minority is a "subculture". I would call it more of an irritating nuisance.

10. Correction - birthplace of the Klan - but not currently headquartered or widely accepted in the South. You see, every U.S. state (with the exception of 4 or 5 less populated ones) has at least one KKK Chapter. The Klan is far from a regional organization...it's very national in scope and has members anywhere there is hate. Historically the Klan was southern, but that was the 1st and 2nd incarnations - it's now on it's 3rd comeback.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyannTN View Post
My daddy always did this and got us all addicted to it growing up. We also would put them in grape cokes..Nugrapes especially (I don't think they make them anymore?!) but grape Fanta's work just as well
That's great! I've never had peanuts in a grape soft drink before, but I'll have to give that a shot next time. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.