Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm sure I'm repeating some but here's my list:

NASCAR
sweet tea
barbecue
southern food like ham, fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, boiled peanuts, collard greens
Bourbon
Moonshine
tobacco
Bible Belt
Confederate war memorabilia/battlefields
heat and humidity
plantations
slavery
Elvis Presley
Gospel Music
Country Music
Nashville
Dolly Parton
Blues
shrimps and crawdaddies
hound dogs
huntin' and fishin'
line dancing
the KKK
Christianity
Coca-Cola

That's about all I have before I get too ridiculous with things like the Duke of Hazzard and stuff...as it is I got a little carried away, lol Good luck!
Many of the things listed by others are quite appropriate...(and not meaning to pick at just this post or contributer)...but don't come away with the impression that some of these things were restricted to (or even originated in) just The South (see highlighted/bold items for just a few examples). It is not that tradions and traditional values are lacking elsewhere or any less important to those in other part of the country, it just might be that folks in The South are a bit more emphatic or open (even assertive) in their preferences and practices than is typical in some areas. In many cases we prefer to be subtle or low-key, but that is not always the case

At the risk of generalizing a bit or contributing to stereotypes myself, I offer a few more inputs:

1. Perceived higher levels of patriotism concurrent with elevated levels of military service and conservative political stances. In reality, part of this situation is one of tradition as well as a pursuit of opportunity, escape, etc. for those with limited chances for others.

2. Possibly a disproportionately higher literary tradition exists in The South over that in other sections of the country (excluding maybe New England). This at times seems odd considering how the region as a whole has been typified by historically lower educational achievements. The tradition itself is probably an outgrowth of the culture, traditions, and history of the region.

3. Paradox of tolerance and intolerance; people either leave you alone or are in your face about things they don't like or appreciate. Sometimes the intolerance is handled in subtle ways but other times can manifest itself in very vocal and visible ways.

4. An appreciation for, almost a worshipping of eccentricity in some families, communities, etc. This can come down to the defense of family members and an almost blind loyalty to them...even if you don't like what they do or say, they are still YOUR family and no one should dare to criticize them because such criticism is an affront to the honor of the entire family ("He may be crazy, but he is STILL family!").

5. Hospitality and graciousness. Well you can't take that one at face value because it is not always as real or transparent as it seems. Hospitality is often a defensive or even offensive technique used to disarm another party (a stranger) or to minimize the chance for unpleasantness to arise in a social or business situation. It is used as pre-emptive damage control by many, and in fact it has become so pervasive that many folks don't even realize that they use it. Of course, some folks make no pretense or attempt at it. The gloves WILL come off it you push most folks the wrong way, and with some it does not take much pushing so it is often best to err on the side of caution.

6. Matriarchy. This one can also be subtle, but it seems like family members can put much aside for the sake of the mother/grandmothers. Of course this occurs in other regions and cultures, too, but oftentimes the females in the family were the ones who ultimately were the cohesive element and really ran things. Even the worst of children would often defer to Mama or do something for the sake of Mama. Possibly to a lesser degree, you see the same veneration of fathers. Rarely do you hear the offspring ever refer to their parents by a first name; if anything it will be a term of affection used. You see this same pattern in lots of cultures, though, so it might be unfair to claim it is largely a "Southern" thing.

7. Honor. Not that other regions and cultures don't have it, but it can be a very strong driver in behavior in The South. I believe it has a lot to do with the consist of early and late settlers to the region and the circumstances they had to survive under. Honor goes hand-in-hand with defense of family, community, country, reputation, etc., and is reflected in literature, hospitality, manners, etc. You can be dirt poor, but honorable. It is worse to sully one's "name" than to suffer physically, because you can almost always improve your physical state but to recover from the damage done to one's reputation is much more difficult.

I'll probably get beaten up for this contribution, but I will post it anyway.

Last edited by buckhead; 04-27-2009 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Edited for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
live oak trees
kudzu vines
cotillion
"dry" counties (& bootleggers!)
languid rivers
the smell of pine tar
the sound of bullfrogs
pecan groves
storytelling

Old 04-27-2009, 12:42 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Cotton
Southern cooking/soul food
Hills
Pick up trucks
Racists
Sweet tea
Rednecks
Poverty
Serpentine street pattern
Kudzu
Bible thumping
Big porches
Humidity
Krystal
Confederate memorials
Southern accents
High school football
Outdoors
Loblolly pine trees
Conservative
Ranch houses
Country music

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Hey, that was fun. Now I'll try one for the other regions

Midwest:
Polite
Corn
Flat
Snow
Apple pie
American flags
Flat/neutral accents
Evergreen trees
Decaying urban areas
Cold
Brick buildings
Street grid
Tornadoes

West:
Mountains
Forests
Liberal
Palm trees
Deserts
Hot
Sunshine
Neutral accents
Immigration
Coffee
Trend-setting

Northeast:
Rude
Density
Universities
Historic
East coast accents
Seafood
Cloudy
Mass transit
Spanish
Crime
Liberal

Last edited by Colts; 04-27-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
The quintessential Okie here....I can't believe nobody has put down fried okra = the finest vegetable on God's green earth. Growing up in Oklahoma we ate it like popcorn it was so dang good. In my book, you can't call yourself a Southerner if you don't like okra. Alright, j/k.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
guys don't use hair product

http://www.lookfantastic.com/Images/Products/15440f.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Ever heard about a certain Southerner called Elvis Presley?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The quintessential Okie here....I can't believe nobody has put down fried okra = the finest vegetable on God's green earth. Growing up in Oklahoma we ate it like popcorn it was so dang good. In my book, you can't call yourself a Southerner if you don't like okra. Alright, j/k.
Yeah! How about fried green tomatoes? Fried pickles? carrot cake? cobblers?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
guys don't use hair product

Thank goodness lol Any man who uses more hairspray that I do I have to wonder about lol

Old 04-28-2009, 06:18 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Let's pause for a big A-MEN, brother!

I will be just a bit more charitable though, my friend. I am sure there are a random few Southerners out there who truly don't care for fried okra. Unfathomable as it might be. I have yet to meet one...but law of averages says it must be so in some isolated and remote quarters! Now, I think a LAW is that one cannot be a true Southerner if they never even heard of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.