Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
That is SOOOO true! I love it!

So what do ya'll say? Y'uns or ya'll? Do you consider one more southern?
I say y'all myself. I have only met one person ever that said y'uns and that was in VERY rural Tennessee. Where all do they say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM

How about spoonbread, blackeyed peas, or moonshine?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Moonshine!! Definitely southern! We just had a guy arrested for that a few months ago. And y'uns is real prevalent in the NC mountains. Not many people here say ya'll. And a few years ago we went to a concert in Hot-lanta and saw the Black Crowes and first thing he said when he jumped up on stage was "how happy I am to be back with y'uns". My dh and I looked at each other are cracked up!

Last edited by happeemommee; 04-28-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Moonshine!! Definitely southern! We just had a guy arrested for that a few months ago. And y'uns is real prevalent in the NC mountains. Not many people here say ya'll. And a few years ago we went to a concert in Hot-lanta and saw the Black Crowes and first thing he said when he jumped up on stage was "how happy I am to back with y'uns". My dh and I looked at each other are cracked up!
I am curious to see where else it is said. The people in Tenessee weren't quite in the mountains but fairly close (about 30 miles away) so maybe it is an Appalachian thing?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
That's what I was thinking, but my dad was from a very hillbilly town in WV and they didn't say it. Lol, I can't believe I hadn't asked this before now!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJose_121 View Post
slow...country accents....weird...like to brag about fatty foods they make like its some sort of accomplishment(same with easterners and their smelly pizza/hot dogs)
Mind you, food that actually smells....how disgusting!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Hi yall,

I have a school assignment I am working on and need to know things that are associated with southern culture? It can be anything.

Thanks!
1. Conservative voting even when the conservative candidate is obviously not suited for the job and inferior to opponent.

2. Blind loyalty to conservative agendas and candidates even though party has shown itself to be completely inept and a total fraud.

3. Slavery.

4. Jim Crow laws.

5. Racial classifications, distinctions, and categorizations as a matter of course.

6. Obsession with the Bible. Like using God to justify slavery.

7. Laid back (like quicksand).

8. Deceptively friendly (as if a fly and a spider can make a bargain).

9. A shameful confederate subculture.

10. Home of the klan.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
1. Conservative voting even when the conservative candidate is obviously not suited for the job and inferior to opponent.

2. Blind loyalty to conservative agendas and candidates even though party has shown itself to be completely inept and a total fraud.

3. Slavery.

4. Jim Crow laws.

5. Racial classifications, distinctions, and categorizations as a matter of course.

10. Home of the klan.
Are you still living in the 1960's or before?

Time to get caught up with the times (it is 2009 now)

Old 04-29-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

3. Slavery.

4. Jim Crow laws.

10. Home of the klan.
I may be mistaken but I do believe that the largest KKK membership is in Indiana

Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Cotton
Southern cooking/soul food
Hills
Pick up trucks
Racists
Sweet tea
Rednecks
Poverty
Serpentine street pattern
Kudzu
Bible thumping
Big porches
Humidity
Krystal
Confederate memorials
Southern accents
High school football
Outdoors
Loblolly pine trees
Conservative
Ranch houses
Country music
The bolded items are prevalant in the North also, so you might want to scratch them from your list.

The rest is all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.