Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
My understanding of that cherished Southern custom is that it is for good luck during the New Year...and traces back to the WBTS (although there is interesting history and speculation on that one!). BUT...the "wealth" mention you make is a very important part of the whole tradition. That is, the black-eyed peas are for good luck...while the "greens" (which can range from cabbage to turnip) served with them are for "wealth"!

All I know is ya gotta have cornbread (no sugar) with it all!
That's right, Friend! Yankees, take that sugar out of my cornbread and please put in my tea, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm sure I'm repeating some but here's my list:

NASCAR
sweet tea
barbecue
southern food like ham, fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, boiled peanuts, collard greens
Bourbon
Moonshine
tobacco
Bible Belt
Confederate war memorabilia/battlefields
heat and humidity
plantations
slavery
Elvis Presley
Gospel Music
Country Music
Nashville
Dolly Parton
Blues
shrimps and crawdaddies
hound dogs
huntin' and fishin'
line dancing
the KKK
Christianity
Coca-Cola

That's about all I have before I get too ridiculous with things like the Duke of Hazzard and stuff...as it is I got a little carried away, lol Good luck!
Actually Christianity started in Israel. Then spread to the rest of the world(mostly Europe).

Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Hey, that was fun. Now I'll try one for the other regions

Midwest:
Polite
Corn
Flat
Snow
Apple pie
American flags
Flat/neutral accents
Evergreen trees
Decaying urban areas
Cold
Brick buildings
Street grid
Tornadoes

West:
Mountains
Forests
Liberal
Palm trees
Deserts
Hot
Sunshine
Neutral accents
Immigration
Coffee
Trend-setting

Northeast:
Rude
Density
Universities
Historic
East coast accents
Seafood
Cloudy
Mass transit
Spanish
Crime
Liberal
There's nothing spanish about the northeast, besides maybe the Bronx. But other then that, who thinks of anything "spanish" when they think of the northeast. I usually think of Anglo-Saxon.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 PM

burger king
six flags
dell
Neiman Marcus
coca cola
KFC
chick fil a
Sonic
Checkers
AT&T
CNN
1996 Olympics
Martin Luther King
Mardi Gras
Carnival
SXSW(South by Southwest)
Dr.Pepper
Dallas Cowboys
Atlanta Braves
College football
High school football
Most ACC basketball
Hurricane Andrew
Hurricane Katrina
Beyonce
Country
Jazz
alot of Rock
Hmm what else?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:26 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
This is a great post! Yeh, my Grandma (and now my Mom as well) used to make her pecan pie with the light and dark caro syrup too....best stuff to ever go in an Okie's mouth!

Wow, describing that pie crust....you're makin' me hungry! Ya'll sound like you're some expert pie makers in your family...it's also good to know there are still folks out there that know how to make a good cream pie....send some on over, Friend.
hey, bass&cfish

question? i have very close friends who live in okc and edmond. they are wonderful people. part of their family moved to b'ham. when they did, they took a few food preparations to alabama and tn that they claim were specific to ok. one dish was known as ok stew. it was made strickly w/ these ingredients: 4 to 5 lbs of ground chuck, about three lbs of carrots, 3 large spanish onions, 1 large bunch of celery, 1 large head of green cabbage, 1 gallon+ chopped tomato w/ juice, S&P to taste. when i was in undergraduate school, many of us would go to our friend's house for weekends and/or holidays. birmingham was about 6 hours from our university, so we would try and leave around 1:00 p.m. on fridays. naturally, 6 hours of driving, restroom breaks, late departures, and dinner always made for late arrival in the 'ham. nevertheless, we knew that, upon arrival, the smell of ok stew and a roasted pork butt would greet us in the garage. ultimately, regardless of the hour, bowls of this gruel, along w/ the pulled roasted pork, would be served to a very appreciative crowd. i make this stew today. the dear lady that introduced it to us passed on 7 years ago. some will, no doubt, look at these ingredients and say that it is a simple vegetable soup. while, on first impression, i might agree, there is something about the preparation and the cooking time that makes it uniquely an ok dish. the vegetables are always cut in a brunoise (small cut dice---very small or use the cuisnart, pulsing to small pieces.) the liquid is reduced slowly and thickened, however, it is always plentiful. you may drain the chuck, however, it is better if you don't. the next day, after it has cooled by refrigeration, you may take the fat off the top. usually, saltines and cornbread muffins are served w/ the stew. some of our crowd likes nachos. now, ok food question, is the origin of this dish as listed above one that probably came from the cowboys on the plains? we have been told that. help me out. oh, by the way, try the recipe, if you haven't already. enjoy!

Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
hey, bass&cfish

question? i have very close friends who live in okc and edmond. they are wonderful people. part of their family moved to b'ham. when they did, they took a few food preparations to alabama and tn that they claim were specific to ok. one dish was known as ok stew. it was made strickly w/ these ingredients: 4 to 5 lbs of ground chuck, about three lbs of carrots, 3 large spanish onions, 1 large bunch of celery, 1 large head of green cabbage, 1 gallon+ chopped tomato w/ juice, S&P to taste. when i was in undergraduate school, many of us would go to our friend's house for weekends and/or holidays. birmingham was about 6 hours from our university, so we would try and leave around 1:00 p.m. on fridays. naturally, 6 hours of driving, restroom breaks, late departures, and dinner always made for late arrival in the 'ham. nevertheless, we knew that, upon arrival, the smell of ok stew and a roasted pork butt would greet us in the garage. ultimately, regardless of the hour, bowls of this gruel, along w/ the pulled roasted pork, would be served to a very appreciative crowd. i make this stew today. the dear lady that introduced it to us passed on 7 years ago. some will, no doubt, look at these ingredients and say that it is a simple vegetable soup. while, on first impression, i might agree, there is something about the preparation and the cooking time that makes it uniquely an ok dish. the vegetables are always cut in a brunoise (small cut dice---very small or use the cuisnart, pulsing to small pieces.) the liquid is reduced slowly and thickened, however, it is always plentiful. you may drain the chuck, however, it is better if you don't. the next day, after it has cooled by refrigeration, you may take the fat off the top. usually, saltines and cornbread muffins are served w/ the stew. some of our crowd likes nachos. now, ok food question, is the origin of this dish as listed above one that probably came from the cowboys on the plains? we have been told that. help me out. oh, by the way, try the recipe, if you haven't already. enjoy!
Kingchef, I'll have to get back to you on that one. I have heard of OK Stew (I think I heard it as "Okie" Stew).....but I'll have to ask my folks about its origin. I'm sure they'll know. Either way sounds like some good 'ol stuff.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,816 times
Brunswick stew: All 3 kinds
Pork BBQ (and smoked brisket I suppose)
Cheerwine
BBQ Hash
Chicken Bog
Hush Puppies
Vinegar sauce
White Lilly Flour
Blue Bell ice cream
She crab soup
Paula Deen (my neighbor!)

Old 05-02-2009, 08:21 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Paula Deen (my neighbor!)
Your neighbor???

Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Oh I thought of something else today.. Little Debbies

Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
I finally had some brunswick stew and loved it! But I don't like boiled peanuts-give me roasted or raw only. They are too slimy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.