U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times

Advertisements

I think you already lived there... NorCal and Oregon...
Denver you might like... the snow is mostly in the mountains and it doesn't get near as cold as say, Wisconsin...and tons of sun and outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times
Some areas of Colorado and Utah offer what you are looking for. Forget California as it is a high tax state.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,922,543 times
I would be curious to know why you dont like Ashland in Southern Oregon. That seems to fit your criteria, unless its rainy more then I suspect. We considered moving there.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 PM

69 posts, read 176,690 times
Default Ashland vs elsewhere

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions. The reason I want to leave Ashland is mainly because there are 3-4 months in the winter that it's gloomy, cold and damp, and 2 months in the summer months, July and August where it is quite hot, as in 95-100 even though it is not humid.
Other than that, Ashland does have a lot to offer if you are not seeking employment, and have a hefty bank account. It is over run with Californians and real estate is over-priced for what you get, as in a small fixer-upper for $400K...I would rather find a place that has good weather for either the winter months or the summer months, and not have to leave twice a year.

I am planning a trip around the USA this summer to find the place(s) that will meet most of my needs...I am currently visiting my daughter in the Albany, NY area, and I am dreading the black flies, the humidity, the poison ivy, and am already missing the west coast...

Old 05-08-2009, 04:20 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions. The reason I want to leave Ashland is mainly because there are 3-4 months in the winter that it's gloomy, cold and damp, and 2 months in the summer months, July and August where it is quite hot, as in 95-100 even though it is not humid.
Other than that, Ashland does have a lot to offer if you are not seeking employment, and have a hefty bank account. It is over run with Californians and real estate is over-priced for what you get, as in a small fixer-upper for $400K...I would rather find a place that has good weather for either the winter months or the summer months, and not have to leave twice a year.

I am planning a trip around the USA this summer to find the place(s) that will meet most of my needs...I am currently visiting my daughter in the Albany, NY area, and I am dreading the black flies, the humidity, the poison ivy, and am already missing the west coast...
Where in Albany do you get all of that? That sounds more like the Adirondacks in the middle of the summer.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,513,124 times
I wish you a very safe an exciting trip. Keep in touch and let us know what you find in terms of your new location.........

Napa I hear is REALLY nice.....yr round but yes it is cali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.