U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:33 PM

69 posts, read 176,711 times

Advertisements

This is my wish list:
WEATHER: (Weather is listed first because it's the most important to me)
I want sunny skies and not a lot of cloudy days, (I suffer from SAD) and it must be low humidity as I have mild arthritis (not a lot of rainy days) 4 seasons, but not much snow or ice, (not too cold and not too hot) I do not want mosquitoes or black flies that keep me locked up indoors, (I lived in Maine for 20 years...) and I want a variety of landscapes, eg mountains, lakes, trees.
LIFESTYLE:
I would like to be able to walk to town, ride my bike on safe bike paths, and be able to swim in a lake or ocean. I like college towns, and not big cities. I want organic/farmer's markets where I can buy healthy and local produce. I do not care about the jobs market as I am retired. I do not care about schools as I am a grandmother. I do not care to live in a conservative environment (political or religious). I do not care about the cost of real estate as I am happy to be a renter, or just live in a small condo or mobile home.
TAXES:
I do not want to live in a 'high tax' state.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you have any suggestions or ideas please post them. I will be very grateful to all who come up with ideas ...I have been racking my brain for a place to move to and haven't found it yet. I've lived in Florida, Virginia, Maine, Oregon, California, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Wisconsin and have traveled to all 50 States!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,670,959 times
Utah or New Mexico would be your best bets. You'll have to give up the four seasons for the good year-round weather somewhat. In southern Utah and Mid-Northern New Mexico they get some snow but nothing severe, it is desert so it is dry and mild but it is very high desert so it's never as brutal as, say, Phoenix or Vegas. It will be good for your arthritis.

Plenty of sunshine - I suffer from SAD also and that's why I consider these places as two of the top places I'd move to. No major problems with bugs in either place that I know of. The dry air doesn't attract them.

Costs of living are pretty good.

The organic market thing - I'm not sure, i would imagine both places would have some organic market. In New Mexico they're known for their chilis, which they are extremely proud of, so at the very least you'll get the best chili peppers in the nation (maybe the world?) and that goes a long way.

The cities I'm thinking of would be St. George, Utah and Albuquerque, NM.

Oh, neither one has a lake or ocean right nearby, but St. George isn't too far from Lake Mead.

I can't think of a place that has everything you want - if you find out where such a place exists (outside your mind), I'd like to know, because I'll probaby move there and be your neighbor, lol....

Oh, just thought of one that might fill the bill -

Reno, NV - or one of the towns in that area. You have Tahoe and other lakes and streams in the area, but it's still pretty dry. It's mountains and valleys, it's temperate but a little snowy in winter, still nothing like the Northeast or Midwest or the Rockies. You have everything at your disposal. I'd imagine good produce is available because you're close to California's Central Valley and all that great produce, organic and otherwise.

It's a good cost of living, dry all year, not bug-ridden. You can live out in solitude, or in a suburb, or in the city and never be too far "out of it". Napa Valley is within a few hours, so is Tahoe skiing.

Reno is probably my #1 choice overall.

Oh, one more city - Austin TX, although it might be a little too humid there sometimes for you. Everything else you asked for is there, and for swimming, you can't beat Barton Springs Pool, a natural mineral pool that is HUGE located in their beautiful park. I'm sure there are organic markets in the town because of the number of vegans and earthy types there. It is a nice city. Again you can live in the suburbs, city, or country and be not too far removed.

So there you go. I'd rank them this way, based on what you want:

1. Reno (or Carson City or Sparks), Nevada
2. Austin, Texas
3. St. George, Utah and Albuquerque or Santa Fe, New Mexico (tie)

Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 PM

69 posts, read 176,711 times
Default Wow! Thanks so much BergenCountyJohnny!

I appreciate your thoughts and input. I live in Ashland, OR currently, and am ready to find a different spot for various reasons. I will check out your suggestions.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,670,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
I appreciate your thoughts and input. I live in Ashland, OR currently, and am ready to find a different spot for various reasons. I will check out your suggestions.
Cool!

And I know you lived in CA in the past, but a couple more sprung to mind -

Santa Barbara, CA - meets everything you said except it's pricey, and from what I hear a little snooty - never been there myself

Also, I was thinking you might find something good in the Salinas, CA area. It's not too far from the Bay Area, but it's far enough away and in the country, and the towns are small but there's bound to be a cute town in the area. The produce obviously will be great, and the ocean isn't too far, and there are mountains with lakes and streams not too far either. So I would say check out California's Central Valley, maybe closer to the coast, or even North of Sacramento might be good for you.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,018,108 times
Somewhere along the central coast of California...Grover Beach, San Luis Obispo, Oceano, Nipomo, Santa Maria, etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 PM

202 posts, read 907,337 times
Coastal California

Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,430,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
This is my wish list:
WEATHER: (Weather is listed first because it's the most important to me)
I want sunny skies and not a lot of cloudy days, (I suffer from SAD) and it must be low humidity as I have mild arthritis (not a lot of rainy days) 4 seasons, but not much snow or ice, (not too cold and not too hot) I do not want mosquitoes or black flies that keep me locked up indoors, (I lived in Maine for 20 years...) and I want a variety of landscapes, eg mountains, lakes, trees.
LIFESTYLE:
I would like to be able to walk to town, ride my bike on safe bike paths, and be able to swim in a lake or ocean. I like college towns, and not big cities. I want organic/farmer's markets where I can buy healthy and local produce. I do not care about the jobs market as I am retired. I do not care about schools as I am a grandmother. I do not care to live in a conservative environment (political or religious). I do not care about the cost of real estate as I am happy to be a renter, or just live in a small condo or mobile home.
TAXES:
I do not want to live in a 'high tax' state.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you have any suggestions or ideas please post them. I will be very grateful to all who come up with ideas ...I have been racking my brain for a place to move to and haven't found it yet. I've lived in Florida, Virginia, Maine, Oregon, California, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Wisconsin and have traveled to all 50 States!
El Paso

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Denver/Boulder except for the ocean/lake. There are some reservoirs to swim in.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM

32,376 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,513,785 times
Reno (or Carson City or Sparks), Nevada

Please do not move here..........you will regret it for the rest of your retired life........AWEFUL....Tahoe nice in the summer great if your a skiier....Reno, Carson, Sparks..........all meth addicts........nothing really to do except to gamble your life away or visit brothels..SERIOUSLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.