Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times

Advertisements

officially it seems to be English Americans, Germans and Dutch Amer too?

scots-irish southerners would perhaps by most be considered WASPS however I think they'd be generally considered Celts though it's debatable what %age of White Englishman are Anglo-Saxon
also WASP to me signifies being well-off etc
Boston Brahmins are the quintessential WASPS

the loosest definition may be NW Euro American Protestants
or even Non-Hispanic Euro Americans (incl Catholics)
I believe this is what Anglo in Socal refers to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Basically wealthy, non-ethnic white people who come from old-money. As for the religion part, it's less important these days, but they tend to be Mainline Protestants: (Episcopalian & Presbyterian) I think the W is really the only letter that applies these days. Most people will label any wealthy white person as a WASP regardless if they have the ASP characteristics.

Here in Memphis WASPs are still very visible. They basically run the whole East side of Memphis, along with Catholics & Jews (both have very WASPy characteristics as well). They send their kids to private, single-sex schools that cost $15,000+ in tuition. The more conservative families are very active in the Presbyterian church, while the more liberal families attend the Episcopal church. Overall, they're socially moderate. They're not very Southern to me, despite having deep Southern roots.

Last edited by Smtchll; 04-28-2009 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
My family is Irish Catholic but half English blood. They are pretty rich. I wouldn't call them WASPS exactly, being they're fairly liberal and not too religious.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times

Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
My family is Irish Catholic but half English blood. They are pretty rich. I wouldn't call them WASPS exactly, being they're fairly liberal and not too religious.
WASPs don't have to be religious or conservative. Many are Unitarian, which is a very liberal, almost agnostic religion. Episcopalians & Presbyterians are also pretty liberal. And i'm not sure if being Catholic would make someone not a WASP. The Catholic church I go to is very WASPy. I dont think there is a term that is the Catholic equivalent to WASP, so a lot of times they get called WASPs despite being Catholic.

Last edited by Smtchll; 04-29-2009 at 10:58 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM

481 posts, read 1,816,876 times
I think a lot of it is constrained to English-ancestry regions. In Minneapolis there's never been any discussion about it (on a personal/local talk radio/blogs) basis. It just seems to be something that belongs to another part of the country. There is also an element of elitism to that which is violently at odds with our native populism and Scandinavian leveling instinct.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Basically wealthy, non-ethnic white people who come from old-money. As for the religion part, it's less important these days, but they tend to be Mainline Protestants: (Episcopalian & Presbyterian) I think the W is really the only letter that applies these days. Most people will label any wealthy white person as a WASP regardless if they have the ASP characteristics.

Here in Memphis WASPs are still very visible. They basically run the whole East side of Memphis, along with Catholics & Jews (both have very WASPy characteristics as well). They send their kids to private, single-sex schools that cost $15,000+ in tuition. The more conservative families are very active in the Presbyterian church, while the more liberal families attend the Episcopal church. Overall, they're socially moderate. They're not very Southern to me, despite having deep Southern roots.
why do they not seem very southern?
being socially moderate I guess would be one.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
why do they not seem very southern?
being socially moderate I guess would be one.
They lack a Southern accent. They're not Southern Baptist. They don't do stereotypical Southern things like wave Confederate flags or watch Nascar

Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
That term is extremely rare where I live. Haven't heard it used a whole lot.

I suppose the version of WASP where I live would be the Dutch descendants in the Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland triangle of western Michigan. Most of them attend some version of the Christian Reformed Church. Most of their kids go to Christian schools, and a lot of those kids, in turn, attend one of the private Reformed colleges in the area. Calvin College, Hope College, Kuyper College, Cornerstone College, etc.

If your last name isn't Vander-something, or doesn't rhyme with Hoekstra, you're not a part of the "in" crowd!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM

lol that was a great movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.