Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm just talking about small to medium sized cities...
Earthfare is similar to Whole Foods and specializes in small/medium sized cities in the South. I have been to their Athens store and it was great. I liked it better than Whole Foods since they seemed to have more emphasis on healthy food instead of upscale gourmet like Whole Foods.

http://www.earthfare.com/storeinfo/1200/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
you dont like southern food do you?
how bout a garden.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you dont like southern food do you?
how bout a garden.
negative, except cajun, which also, can't really get here unless your idea of it is popeyes chicken.
have one, but what about november-april? :/
some tomatoes starting to ripen and herbs doing well, not much else yet.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Good food and good wine and good beer etc etc are one my loves of life and most enjoyable things, whether this is viewed as a good or bad thing, or whether I should just eat up some pro quantity buffet stuff or fast food is everybodies opinion to have. Me personally, it is pretty sad. On the beer note, I can't even get the beer I drink most new belgium beer here (fat tire, etc)...sucks. Or a good bar who serves up a good guinness...doesn't exist, wrong taps. Or a good wine is 2-3x more expensive as elsewhere... etc. etc. Shockingly they just picked up sweet water here... which was somewhat of a god send. People in the office were passing on free kfc coupons earlier and everybody couldn't wait to get their hands on them... wow.
I agree it sucks. I've lived elsewhere in the South and Texas, and I can attest to the dearth of options elsewhere in the South. I've also spent considerable time in Dallas and Atlanta, and can attest to the bounty offered in those cities as well as my own. Not only can you get healthy food on a menu, you can get pretty much anything you'd like to stuff in your body. That said, it is a bit presumptuous to expect regional cuisine outside of specific regions. And yes, I think of "health" food as regional, specifically as Californian. In California, regardless of the size of town I might find myself, I can always find a healthy restaurant choice. In my mind, it's a bit like finding Tex-Mex in San Antonio or pulled pork in Memphis. But, asking for health food in Tallahassee is also like asking for Tex-Mex in Memphis and pulled pork in San Antonio. It may be available, but the quality is sub-par, the price is high and it'll only leave you wishing you hadn't eaten it in the first place.

Grapico, it doesn't sound as if the entirety of the South is bad for you. It seems to me as if you need to just relocate to a larger city. If you're a foodie, and appreciate fine beer and wine, Houston may just be the place for you. Behold... Spec's, an acre of liquor, beer, wine and fine foods (and the mothership store is around the corner from where I live):
SPEC's Liquors Online: Wines, Spirits, Cigars and Finer Foods

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
On the other hand graphico, your cost of living is significantly lower than in the northern metros like Chicago. Every place has it's good and bad aspects.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
On the other hand graphico, your cost of living is significantly lower than in the northern metros like Chicago. Every place has it's good and bad aspects.
Cost of living between the rural South and New York may be huge, but the difference between the rural and urban South is not that different, at least not enough to make up for everything the rural areas are lacking. Plus, the higher wages in the cities usually more than make up for the increased cost of living. I can either make 30k at my current job in Little Rock and pay 600/mo rent or I can make $50k in Dallas and pay $900/mo rent plus actually have things to do and enjoy.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Texas I think you hit the nail on the head! I always have a good time in ATL, with some of the best food I've ever had when going out there... I think they were one of the first places to have a fogo de chao before the brazilian steakhouses became rampant, and have also loaded up before at the liquor store... I'm always referring to the "deep south" in my posts, to be more specific. I know what you mean to "hadn't eaten it in the first place" ... I have got several times like OOH... this place might be good then leave like WTF was that? Even something as simple as panera bread or chipotle would be good, but neither exist here. Just got a starbucks like 3-4 years ago, the closest one to where I am closed down though due to lack of business last summer. I don't even like starbucks and wouldn't go there normally, but it was better than everything else around.

Last edited by grapico; 05-06-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Cost of living between the rural South and New York may be huge, but the difference between the rural and urban South is not that different, at least not enough to make up for everything the rural areas are lacking. Plus, the higher wages in the cities usually more than make up for the increased cost of living. I can either make 30k at my current job in Little Rock and pay 600/mo rent or I can make $50k in Dallas and pay $900/mo rent plus actually have things to do and enjoy.
Sounds like a good argument for moving to a bigger city. I grew up in Alabama a left as soon as I could.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Sounds like a good argument for moving to a bigger city. I grew up in Alabama a left as soon as I could.
I graduated college in 2007 and wanted to move to a big city in the worst way, but a bad economy and some unfortunate events have kept me here. I don't hate the south at all, it's just the RURAL south isn't for me. Like one of the posts above, in a city like Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta you can find pretty much anything you are looking for.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I graduated college in 2007 and wanted to move to a big city in the worst way, but a bad economy and some unfortunate events have kept me here. I don't hate the south at all, it's just the RURAL south isn't for me. Like one of the posts above, in a city like Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta you can find pretty much anything you are looking for.
You're still young. Should have plenty of opportunities to relocate in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.