Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Half of the roads in the United States are in bad condition, and in some urban areas that proportion is closer to 60 percent, according to a report released by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials on Friday.

Half of U.S. roads in poor shape: Highway officials | U.S. | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
That's certainly not news to America's truckers, John!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Many of those are in California.

Here in Houston, the freeways are very new compared to the other major cities in Texas.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:05 PM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
Roads in Oregon are shameful, I know that.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
so are most of the transit systems.

most of the infrastructure - highway/rail/etc. - especially in older cities, is in terrible repair. it's unfortunate that our country built itself up so much without thinking of how they were going to pay for maintaining it.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Yes they are crumbling. Well pretty rough anyway. But for the past several years I have heard nothing but the president vetoeing a highway bill every year. Seems like the feds are like the big corporations; they don't want to spend anymore money on this country. With all the war debt we've incurred in the past few years, I guess we don't have it or so they say. We will build Iraq and Afghanistan's roads back before we will rebuild our own.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,292 times
The exciting thing is that the people who have let this infrastructure fall apart will soon be turning their attention on our health care system!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Well that is what comes when you have been building them contiously since the early 1920's without stopping.P{eople want new raodways but don't want to pay for them. One reason for toll roads that are coming.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM

345 posts, read 643,189 times
Keep in mind that much of the damage that is done to our highways is as a result of them getting town up by trucks. What our nation needs is to move the transportation focus from cars to rail. Shifting the primary means of cargo transportation from trucks to freight rail is both economically and environmentally more efficient.

As for cars, obviously the automobile is something that is part of American culture, and we cannot give up our dependence on it, but I'd like to see the car used as more of a tool for leisure activity than commuting. There's nothing wrong with taking a day trip to the beach, or even a cross-country road-trip. It's the fact that the car is used as a commuting tool that's a big problem. For older cities that were built up pre-automobile, this is more viable. However, many newer southern cities were built with the car in mind, and the result of that is tons of sprawl, and an environment that is unfriendly to mass transportation.

A shift to freight rail for cargo and mass transportation for commuters would tremendously reduce the stress on our nation's highways; the highways will still be there, but they wouldn't be suffering the wear-and-tear from overuse.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Well, PureNarcotic, I do believe you are correct that that is the transformation that needs to happen, but before it can be done, our ancient system of railroads needs a huge overhaul. I once heard that it can take a train two weeks in some cases to make it through the Chicago Metro area (READ: I am in no way bashing Chicago, just using it as an example of problems faced by rail systems ALL OVER the country. Believe me I'm not trying to start ****!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.