U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 PM

112 posts, read 250,417 times

Advertisements

Hey. I'm looking to move to the US from London to look for work. Maybe just for the summer...so I don't want to buy a car. Too expensive, too problematic, so I want to find a place with good public transportation that people can actually use.

Im from Chicago and lived in Boston for a while too, but never really used the public transportation in either place so I dont know if theyre reliable modes of tranport. I know that in most US cities the public transportation is completely useless.

So any ideas? I was thinking Boston or Portland or something. I would like California, but I dont know if its possible not to drive anywhere there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,534 times
NEW YORK CITY has extensive Public Transportation. Portland Oregon has good public transportation, as well does Chicago. Most California cities are personal auto orientated. Cities like Las Vegas Nevada, and Phoenix Arizona have a long ways to go in regards to public transit, as well.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,018 times
You are from chicago and has never ridden the 'el'? Chicago, NYC, Boston all have good systems in which you don't need a car to get around. I keep hearing that Portland has a good one too, but I've never had any sort of experience with it the way I have with Boston, NYC, and Chicago. I've spent almost 20 years riding Chicago's and have ridden NYC's extensively on several occasions for days on end (and not just in Manhattan either), and have ridden the the T a few times as well. They all have their problems and are certainly not up to European standards, but they do allow one to live without a car fairly easily. Also, in Boston and Chicago, you have ZipCar and or (in Chicago only) another car sharing scheme called IGO that works well for those times you want a car just for an afternoon. I haven't had a car for years.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:16 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,427,891 times
DC is an option

Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 PM

893 posts, read 2,518,180 times
Chicago, Boston, New York City, Portland, Probally Philadelphia, DC

Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,018 times
I forgot about DC, there train is excellent as well ... and so clean!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:17 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
San Francisco has EXCELLENT public transportation.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:08 PM

2,849 posts, read 9,930,139 times
Default In CA, it depends

You can get around without a car in many cities in CA. San Francisco and San Diego, certainly, but to some extent also Sacramento, San Jose, Davis (won an award as the most bicycle friendly city one year) and Santa Barbara. Even in car-obsessed Los Angeles it's possible to live without a car as the city offers many neighborhoods that are close to transit and rail lines and walkable destinations. Public transit in LA has seen a nice evolution over the past few years. Plus, LA has a car-sharing program if you need a car only once in a while.

Generally speaking, the most car-"friendly" areas in CA, where getting around without a car is more difficult, include the San Joaquin and Sacramento valleys (cities of Sacramento and Davis excepted), the Inland Empire, and various upscale locations, like Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village, where the car-based mentality persists because of fashion, glamour and status.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-05-2007 at 11:18 PM..

Old 04-06-2007, 06:28 AM

112 posts, read 250,417 times
Yeah, thanks. I never went on the el because I had a car...but I sold it when I moved to London and I really dont want a car ever again. Its nice to be able to go wherever you want, but its too much of an expense.

I dont want to move back to Chicago, but Boston seems doable. And yeah, I read that San Francisco has good public transportation so I might look into that as well. Although what put me off is...well, Im sure not everybody there enjoys musical theater. And I like the Asian women, so that would be good.

So yeah, Im thinking Boston, San Francisco, or Portland. I hadnt considered Portland before (of course), but I read that it has extensive public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or