U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:48 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,801,560 times

Advertisements

You've got to check out Jacksonville. And I was pleasantly surpised when I visited Louisville last fall. Bigger than I thought and more progressive. Both cities are on an upswing, so the time is right to dig in and get situated.

I'd pick Portland in a heartbeat if the sun ever visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 08:30 PM

893 posts, read 2,518,608 times
Keep the list going, this is intresting.

How is Indianapolis? Thats on my list of places to move when im older.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:46 PM

10 posts, read 43,651 times
Have you thought about Key West, or Delray bch Fl. Both are near Miami

Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,832 times
Albuquerque, New Mexico would be nice. It's kind of exotic and has pretty good weather.
I should add my vote for Portland too since I'm from Oregon. Yes it's green and has great scenery.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Albuquerque, New Mexico would be nice. It's kind of exotic and has pretty good weather.
I should add my vote for Portland too since I'm from Oregon. Yes it's green and has great scenery.
I'll second the motion on the Albuquerque suggestion. And Portland is great also, lack of sunny days aside. Maybe even consider Austin Texas. I've been to all 3 of these cities-all nice in their own ways.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 AM

112 posts, read 581,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
Keep the list going, this is intresting.

How is Indianapolis? Thats on my list of places to move when im older.
Indianapolis is a nice city, and I think if I had a family or were planning on it, I would like Indy. For the most part the city is clean, fairly friendly, and a pretty decent place to live.

The problem for me is, after 6 years I have gotten bored of it. It lacks a lot of depth, so what you see is more or less what you get. Also, there is no "scene." Its a mix of a lot of different things, but with nothing to really show for it (if that makes sense).

Maybe I am picky, but personally I want a city with more of an identity. I recently read an article in National Geographic about Orlando starting the trend of American cities acting and feeling like theme parks. I realized that is how Indy is, it is a very commercial city. And not only it is a theme park, but its kind of like the Busch Garden of theme parks.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:17 AM

112 posts, read 581,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I'll second the motion on the Albuquerque suggestion. And Portland is great also, lack of sunny days aside. Maybe even consider Austin Texas. I've been to all 3 of these cities-all nice in their own ways.
See people keep saying Portland is nice, I would definitely like there...if it were sunny more than 3 months of the year. That is what I am a bit scared of. I don't require UV light therapy in the winter or have a vitamin D deficiency, but I still like the sun. Although, I have heard that most of the cloudiness is in the winter, and winter in the midwest is pretty gloomy too. So is it really that bad?

I feel like Portland has a lot going for it, but the weather scares me a bit. (Although weather isn't my main consideration, my partner wants somewhere with better weather than Indiana.)

Old 04-07-2007, 08:01 AM

151 posts, read 742,660 times
Default another vote for Austin

Atlanta has, I hear, one of the largest gay communities outside of San Francisco = if thats a primary consideration (gay friendly). Elton John is a part-time Buckhead resident and very much accepted Atlanta as a good place to be. Not sure if it has the kind of character you're looking for. The weather is good though. So don't overlook Atlanta if you're considering East Coast. Housing may be a bit higher than you'd expect, and traffic is BAD.

But that being said, I'd vote for Austin too. Great city. It's not as expensive as other cities so I think it's reasonable. Texas has no state tax and real estate in most areas of the state are affordable compared to other large areas of the nation. HOT summers though. However, it's starting to get a bit too big, from what I hear of my relatives still living there. Good music and film festivals (known as the live music capitol of the US at one time), great food, and nightlife. Good place for 20somethings. With UT there, it's basically a large college town with liberal influences (not saying that's good or bad).

Old 04-07-2007, 08:15 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,182,223 times
I love Portland, and lived there for seven years. Still have family and friends there, I try to visit every summer. Key word is summer. The rest of the year is rain, sleet, snow, etc. Just couldn't deal with it. Had to find a special store which sold those full spectrum lights! Would still be there if not for the darn constant drizzle! I would spend hours on the weekend driving over to eastern Oregon, just to look for some sunshine in winter! It was worth it, as once you get past Mt. Hood, usually the sun would be out.

If you like a big, progressive city with some sun (and lots of humidity), yes, do try Austin. Fairly livable, traffic is terrible, but it IS in Texas, and that says alot!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 PM

86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Denver has great weather. There are probably no more than a dozen days a year when the weather is really awful. Denver is progressive in a "live and let live way". My DD goes to college in Indiana and feels Colo is preferable, but then she is a native!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or