U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 PM

767 posts, read 2,271,383 times

Advertisements

Since you've already said that Chicago's housing prices wouldn't be an issue, you're not going to find a better urban and cosmopolitan atmosphere than the Windy City other than New York. While Seattle and Portland certainly provide extraordinary natural beauty, if you want the complete urban lifestyle with walkable neighborhoods and a top-notch downtown area, then Chicago is going to be your best choice. Pittsburgh has done a good job of putting together large public works projects to clean up its riverfront, but its nowhere near in the same realm of Chicago in terms of overall strength as a 24-hour city.

If you're truly looking at the Pacific Northwest, you should also consider Vancouver, which is one of most spectacular cities in terms of natural scenery anywhere (although living in land-locked Indianapolis pretty much means any place with water probably looks pretty good to you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 01:04 PM

32,426 posts, read 59,932,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
My only problem with Pittsburgh is that I grew up in Cincy, so I have been breed to hate it, lol.
So ... Cleveland's out, then?

Seriously, you're lucky that you have a profession that's in demand anywhere and everywhere. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:58 PM

34 posts, read 162,942 times
RXMarcus, you mentioned "gay friendly" so I'm sure that is key in making your decision. Since many cities have become so called "gay friendly" everyone is not moving to SF, LA, NYC, CHI like they did 20yrs ago.

However, having lived in SF for 14yrs and LA now for 2yrs and have traveled and visited most all major US metropolitan areas, here are some things to consider.

Do you like big urban downtown cities, or more of a big city suburban style?
Are you a sports fan or very active outdoors person, skiing, golf, biking, hiking,etc, or are the arts very important or maybe both equally?Does weather affect your decision. Basically it comes down to the lifestyle of that particular place your seeking.

As you mentioned you not looking to relocated in the super expensive places like NYC, SF,DC,BOS, LA, CHI. I'm very familiar with these places and their "gay friendly" life. Those cities you will find the doctor, lawyer, investment banker, driven and accomplished ones along with the mix of others. Though at a pharmacist salary, you should be able to get by no problem, however owning a condo on NYC,SF,LA, could be challenging.
Maybe less so in DC,BOS,CHI.

I would highly recommend San Diego, thought it is pricey to own, real estate prices have been dropping and the quality of life including the gay community is one of the best in the country. Other places on that par would be Austin,
Atlanta, Portland, just some places to think about.

For me, I like a mix, lots of outdoor activities, skiing, biking, hiking, golf, going to the gym, etc, but I also like the arts, good food, being around interesting and ambitious people, without too much pretension, for me that has been San Diego.

Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,008 times
Default gay Friendly place to retire

Currently my partner and I live in Royal Oak, MI. We are looking for an area to retire in that is similar to Royal Oak. Here are some facts about Royal Oak, The population is about 75,000. The population represents a diverse mix of individuals (gay & straight), various age groups, races, and incomes. Home prices range from mid 100 thousand to 1.2 million. Home architecture is myriad of residential home styles, everything from 1920 Tudors with 7,000 square feet to post war bungalows, with about 1100 square feet, to brand new sky lofts built this year starting at 250K going up to 2.5 million. The downtown consists of 4 square blocks with a farmers market on the week-ends, a theater that shows art films, many trendy restaurants, boutique shopping, art galleries, spas and hair salons.

We are looking to retire to an area that has mild winters, gay friendly, cosmopolitan, with older homes, preferably with a historic district and a downtown area, preferably with similar population as RO, near a larger city not too far away, one last thing we'd like it to be moderatly priced. Can't afford anything in CA.

Any help is appreciated

Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 AM

38 posts, read 108,289 times
putting my hat in for portland, oregon... It is a very nice city. The people are generally cool if somewhat generic. outlying, more suburban areas enjoy a much better diversity though also sprawl. much of what the city has become is built on egocentric folks, it seems. still nice place to live if you like outdoors stuff mixed with a little urban.

a couple photos of Portland, actually taken outside the downtown core. enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Big Cities with Character and Affordability?-clinton-st-theatre.jpg   Big Cities with Character and Affordability?-hawthorne-strip-o-stores.jpg  

Old 09-10-2007, 07:55 AM

345 posts, read 845,905 times
Agree with the votes for Pittsburgh and the poster who brought up Jacksonville.

I'd also suggest Baltimore. Don't believe that all of it is a crime-ridden slum. There are a lot of nice places in Baltimore--a lot. Fells Point, Canton, Federal Hill, Charles Village, Mount Vernon--you can get a nice sense of urban living in a nice neighborhood at a lower cost than your other typical "big cities."

Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,915,658 times
Check out St. Louis or Cleveland.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,712,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
Let me rephrase. I can't afford to live in cities like SF or NY that are in the top of most expensive. But I could afford something like Chicago. So I'm not looking for extremely cheap housing, but just extremely expensive either.
You could afford SF or NYC.

People have this over-hyped concept of how expensive it is to live in either place. It's simply untrue. Money goes a lot farther than one would suspect. The only thing that kills, really kills, a paycheck in Coastal America are the insane taxes-- housnig not so much. "Oh, we'll just take 5% here, another 2% there, and look, this extra tax only takes .5%!" Yeah, well, it adds up.

Chicago is the cheapest "big city" you're going to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or