U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 PM

112 posts, read 581,575 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Indianapolis for the past 6 years, including 4.5 years of college. It is an ok city, but it lacks character/indentity. It is basically just a city built in a cornfield, and lacks a lot of depth. While it is not fair to do so, when compared to cities like SF, Miami, Toronto, or Chicago (I randomly picked cities), it lacks any identity or flavor.

I am looking to move within a year, and would like to move to a larger city with some character. I can't really afford NY, SF, Miami, etc, but am wondering what "smaller" large cities people would recommend. And am also wanting somewhere gay-friendly (as cliched at that is).

I have been looking into Portland, Seattle and maybe Charlotte, and am most intrigued by Portland. But I am not sure if has the "feel" I am looking for.

Btw, hello everyone, it is my first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM

669 posts, read 2,946,686 times
To be honest, you're in one of the cheaper large cities in the US. Out of the ones you listed, I think Charlotte is the cheapest, followed by Portland. Seattle really isn't cheap. The median home there is nearing $500k.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:57 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,925,906 times
You might consider Pittsburgh and/or Philadelphia. Pittsburgh is affordable and has lots to see and do for a young person. Unfortunately, jobs may be scarce.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
You might consider Pittsburgh and/or Philadelphia. Pittsburgh is affordable and has lots to see and do for a young person. Unfortunately, jobs may be scarce.
Luckily I am a Pharmacist and can pretty much find a job wherever.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 PM

You might love it in Pittsburgh! I am here on a long visit and find it very interesting, and filled with character. Just got back from the Warhol Museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
Luckily I am a Pharmacist and can pretty much find a job wherever.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
To be honest, you're in one of the cheaper large cities in the US. Out of the ones you listed, I think Charlotte is the cheapest, followed by Portland. Seattle really isn't cheap. The median home there is nearing $500k.
Let me rephrase. I can't afford to live in cities like SF or NY that are in the top of most expensive. But I could afford something like Chicago. So I'm not looking for extremely cheap housing, but just extremely expensive either.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,671,233 times
Hello and welcome! I think Pittsburgh is a great suggestion. It definitely has character. Philadelphia would be another option - extremely gay friendly and tons of history. Austin, TX has a good reputation but I haven't personally been there. I am not too familiar with Portland or Charlotte, but I can't think of any reasons why you wouldn't want to consider them.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:31 PM

For north, and very gay-friendly, you might look at Providence, RI.

Portland is beautiful and in some ways, Pittsburgh PA and Portland, OR are sister cities--lovely, multiple bridges and waterways.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Hello and welcome! I think Pittsburgh is a great suggestion. It definitely has character. Philadelphia would be another option - extremely gay friendly and tons of history. Austin, TX has a good reputation but I haven't personally been there. I am not too familiar with Portland or Charlotte, but I can't think of any reasons why you wouldn't want to consider them.
My only problem with Pittsburgh is that I grew up in Cincy, so I have been breed to hate it, lol. I am still bitter about the 2006 NFL playoffs.

But I will into it.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,751,823 times
Another vote for Pittsburgh.

At least take a fact-finding trip. For a small-ish big city, it has a big-city flavor.

Wanna stay closer to "home"? Check out Louisville. Completely different vibe, yet you'd be close enough to visit your IN friends on weekends.

Austin, TX is an excellent choice for a young person, but only if one can afford to live IN central Austin (the 'burbs are for families).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or