U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:53 PM

154 posts, read 839,899 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been spending a great deal of our time for the last year trying to figure out where we should live. We are both in our late 20's with no kids and have been married about 4 years now. We have been going back and forth about what is most important to us when deciding where to move, or whether not to move.
The area that we currently live in is very expensive, but everything we know is already here. Are there others out there going through something similar to what we are going through? What are you doing about it? What are some of the factors influencing your decision?

Last edited by dd94595; 04-06-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 04:30 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,869 times
Unhappy You're not alone

My husband and I have had this discussion since we have been together. We've only been married for 9 months, but pretty much knew we would be life partners from day one several years ago. We are mid 20's, no children, and capable of meshing in with any working scerio, so we are prime to pick and move.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, we jumped teh gun and purchased acreage close to area we've lived. I have horses, have had them for many years, so the whole idea was to get land, build our home, and live happily ever after. Things changed quick! About 6 mths after purchasing, we were both laid off and have both been out of a "job" for about a year now. We are surviving because we took our house money and start our own business.

I talk every day about where we can go and start over; we still have our acreage, but the payment is low enough that we can leave it be for a while. We're in the extremely recessed and depressed state of Michigan, so we can't sell it right now. Our business can be restarted in any state (computer repair and support), so we can pick up if needed. The reason why we're holding back right now is because of the potential of our business. Due to the extreme economic issues around us, we are prime to boom. We came into a very over priced market and are taking the area over quickly with a lower price that comes with good service; long over due for an area that needs good computer support but can no longer afford the overpriced competition. That is why we're still here instead of uprooting like 60K + fellow Michigan folks. Otherwise, we can't come up with a definite decision where we want to go... we know what we want in a new state with good climate, community, and ability to keep horses at a reasonable price, but we also want an area will good jobs and economy. We still might be looking out of state if Michigan keeps on it's current path, which will basically abandon livestock owners throughout because so many farmers are turning to corn production and that will overinflat the value of feed for the animals.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,153,549 times
Personally, I do it before you had children and get much older, its alot more hectic, worrisome and draining to move when your older. I would also do your homework and be very sure that you will be happy wherever you go and that you can afford the area, good luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 AM

112 posts, read 581,329 times
Yes.

Big Cities with Character and Affordability?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 AM

520 posts, read 1,912,149 times
We're in upstate NY..also have horses..also had to adjust to loss of higher paying jobs (In the late 90's). I'm glad we stuck with it here as things have been turning around on many issues(inc. the job market). Guess I'm not much for running from adversity. Adapt and overcome.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:57 AM

20 posts, read 103,868 times
My husband and I are in the same boat. We're in our early-mid twenties and can't figure out where to live. We live in Southern California and are tired of the high prices and the overcrowding. At first we had it narrowed down to Seattle or Denver, but now we're also considering somewhere east, possibly an hour or so outside of Washington DC. It's crazy, we can't even decide which region of the U.S. to narrow it down to! Some of our consderations are housing costs (right now we're renting but will be looking to buy whenever we can decide where to go), dog friendly (no kids yet, but we treat our Golden Retriever like our kid), the lifestyle, the proximity to large cities, and weather. We'll also be leaving behind everything we know, which is a bit scary, but we know that everntually we'll make friends in the new city. Overall we're very excited about the move. Now we just need to figure out where.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,646,034 times
It took my husband and I a couple of years to decide where to relocate to. Actually I had been wanting to relocate for many years...he only started really thinking about it shortly before we got married, a year and a half ago. We first had to consider what our priorities were...for us it was lower cost of living (we're in NJ right now), good job opportunity for what we do, decent weather, ideally not too far from family. My husband's profession requires him to be licensed with his state of residence and that was another factor.

Fortunately we are fairly well traveled, having been to 32 of our 50 states; not experts in any of them, but at least we've seen quite a few. We did a lot of research on what areas have low cost of living, taxes...we did research on job growth and average salary for what we do...we had to look into licensing requirements for each state for him...we also looked into education and crime; we don't have children now but hope to in the next few years. Eventually we narrowed it down to 3 areas...then 2...then we visited the first for a week and it wasn't what we hoped. The second place, we loved. So we are finally moving, this July or August! It has been a lot of work, but it's very exciting too.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 PM

483 posts, read 1,781,422 times
I've been having the same problem. I've been itching to move for years. I'm studying to be a nurse, and when I graduate next year, I'll be able to get a job anywhere. We have no kids yet, but we want them in the next 5 years. Hubby has moved a lot, his father is 84 and in poor health, and he wants to stay here. He also wants to buy a house, and we could never afford that here.

We still can't agree on where to go. We're in an interracial marriage, we both like progressive attitudes, 4 seasons, public transportation, good public schools, and diversity. I like North Carolina, he hates the South. He likes Portland Oregon and Seattle, I hate rain. I like Minneappolis, he hates the long winters and his relatives there. He likes New Hampshire, despite the lack of diversity and public transportation.

The only thing we can agree on is where we definitely don't want to go: California, Florida, Texas, or Detroit.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 04-07-2007 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: More information

Old 04-08-2007, 05:59 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,646,034 times
Take a map of the U.S. and both of you cross out the states you don't like. Try to keep an open mind. Check out whatever is left. lol Look for a home with an in-law suite and take your father in law with you.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 PM

902 posts, read 3,255,662 times
Yep. I'm having that problem.

It's just me...I don't have anything to tie me down, but the invetiable question is; where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or