Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post

Asheville, NC
Ditto on Asheville. I sound like a broken record because I've recommended it lately, but it is a good fit.

Medium-sized city that is very progressive for a Southern city of its size. It has a very active arts community, and a good mix of individually owned restaurants. Tourism is one of the bigger industries there but it's not overcooked with tourists everywhere, except maybe peak Fall color times when just about everyone drives up there to look at the Autumn leaves changing in the mountains that surround the town.

Geographically it's great. About 4 hours to the Charleston SC coastal region. Two hours to Charlotte (pop 2 million metro). Around 3.5 to 4 hours to Atlanta (pop 5 million metro), so you have reasonably close access to larger cities, too. Lots of small "antiquing" towns in the area. Surrounded by mountains and parks for hiking, biking, camping, etc. Four distinct seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 11,706 times
Given your list of needs, and where you are coming from, Portland, OR would be a great match. People come here for several reasons, but transportation options (Portland is the premier bike culture in the U.S.), restaurants (both for visiting and opening), and the music scene are among the top. A baker would fit right in. Also, the Columbia River Gorge, Mt Hood and the Pacific are all a day trip with a hike/walk away. The people are friendly, the downtown is vibrant with several farmers markets, independent film, theaters, and concerts. Then there's the Pearl District and all of the the diverse neighborhoods. The only problems with Portland are the weather (which, trust me, is better than Syracuse's--it's fall all year, except July and August) and the housing market, which neither went as high nor is falling as low as other areas. There is a glut of downtown high rise condos, though.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 AM

7 posts, read 14,647 times
We have actually narrowed it down to OREGON! I am currently researching all the main cities!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:15 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnie78 View Post
We have actually narrowed it down to OREGON! I am currently researching all the main cities!
Portland is a great city. But given that your first complaint about Syracuse is the winter weather (which is cold, no doubt, but probably worse because it is so gray during winter), you need to take your own self-assessment and determine if you could handle living in a place that is more often gray than not. Obviously, it is a negative that many Portlanders are willing to overlook due to the city's many other charms. But each person contemplating moving there should take stock of it separately. I think a good many people move there thinking they will love the city after a week long visit in July/September, only to be disappointed by the fact that for eight months a year the weather is far different.

BTW, I initially thought San Diego might be a good city for you, but the cost of living there might be higher than you are looking for.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:54 AM

This plan to move initially started with San Diego, but you're right- way too expensive for me. I've toyed with Asheville, NC- but I'm afraid it may be TOO hot. As far as Portland, I understand it is on the gray side- I've been trying to figure out if somewhere south of there (like Salem, OR) would be any better. Medford seems more pricey, assuming it's because it's that much closer to Cali. Eugene seems to be infested with auto theft and property theft. I'm wondering how somewhere in southern Washington would be. I love the idea of Oregon because it's so out-doorsy- and it's not too far of a drive to Seattle or even a weekend trip down to Cali. I don't mind a lack of sun- as long as it's not too depressing... I just hate the idea of facing another winter here... But at the same time, I want to be able to breathe in the summer!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnie78 View Post
If you dont like gray skies and maddening light rain for MONTHS at a time, you'd be wise to stay away from the PacNW. True, winters there are much milder than Syracuse, but the gray skies would make Syracuse feel like Florida.

I would recommend somewhere like Branson, Missouri, but not exactly Branson itself. There are tons of wide open spaces and parks, gorgeous hills and lakes, low crime, mild winters and if you choose Branson, the concerts and shows are neverending. However, southern Missouri isnt known for diverse restaurants and it does have high humidity and most shows are country-oriented.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-201 View Post
New Jersey
Not even.
600/mo 3 bed. Maybe in Camden or in the worst section in Irvington.

You should look around Syracuse or Albany, NY

Old 05-25-2009, 07:06 AM

I'm trying to get OUT of NY! lol Jersey's not my thing. I'm not that concerned with trying to find a 3 bd for that cheap. I'm surprised I even pay it here. I just mentioned that to gauge where we're coming from NOW... I don't mind the rain... it's the snow I hate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.