Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 24,514 times

Advertisements

I know this has been posted a million times over and I've never actually posted my own thread, just browsed others for ideas. I'm looking for ideas for relocation. Here are some things we are looking for and some things we do not want. I should mention that we live in Hawaii and love it, apart from the educational aspect and cost of living. We are forced to move due to my husband's work, so staying is not an option, although many of the things we like about here are, no doubt, available elsewhere.

Okay, things we like:
friendly people
tolerance for children and not getting the stink eye if they make noise in a restaurant
intelligent conversation
open minded people (i don't mean people who are obsessive, just people who can talk about issues openly and without getting black and white and militant about things. rationality and good sense being key)
reasonable cost of living
not too much rain, cloud, or snow
reasonably safe
good PUBLIC schools (this is our problem in hawaii, either terrible public schools or insanely expensive private ones- nothing in between)
attractive town or scenery (not necessary, but a bonus)
cultural activities for kids
someplace where the new chain restaurant and how the local team is doing are not the topic of conversation (this was the attitude in the midwest town where i grew up and i found it depressing beyond belief)
a place where people are more worldly and have some idea of perspectives that are not just american (and where more than 5% own passports)
basically, just a laid back tolerant place with thinking people that my kids could grow up enriched in.

i know all of those things are impossible in one place, but i would really like suggestions for ones are similar in some ways. many thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 PM

95 posts, read 301,006 times
I don't know your budget, but I'd suggest Colonia, NJ for you. I'm only going by what i know first hand.... Colonia is a very safe town in Middlesex County about 30 miles from NYC.

Good schools, and it's also fairly diverse which might be another bonus for you.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
East end of Long Island? More affordable out there, and seems to have everything you want. Or maybe the Hudson valley region of upstate NY (like 1-2 hours from the city), but they get a lot more snow than Long Island.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,534 times
i'd say north side or chicago or aurora, illinois (west side).

Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I would say Ithaca, NY, but the snow thing might be a hinderance. It fits everything else though.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
I would say Plainfield,Indiana it pretty much fits everything you are searching for.

www.townofplainfield.com

Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 PM

46 posts, read 189,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingri View Post
I know this has been posted a million times over and I've never actually posted my own thread, just browsed others for ideas. I'm looking for ideas for relocation. Here are some things we are looking for and some things we do not want. I should mention that we live in Hawaii and love it, apart from the educational aspect and cost of living. We are forced to move due to my husband's work, so staying is not an option, although many of the things we like about here are, no doubt, available elsewhere.

Okay, things we like:
friendly people
tolerance for children and not getting the stink eye if they make noise in a restaurant
intelligent conversation
open minded people (i don't mean people who are obsessive, just people who can talk about issues openly and without getting black and white and militant about things. rationality and good sense being key)
reasonable cost of living
not too much rain, cloud, or snow
reasonably safe
good PUBLIC schools (this is our problem in hawaii, either terrible public schools or insanely expensive private ones- nothing in between)
attractive town or scenery (not necessary, but a bonus)
cultural activities for kids
someplace where the new chain restaurant and how the local team is doing are not the topic of conversation (this was the attitude in the midwest town where i grew up and i found it depressing beyond belief)
a place where people are more worldly and have some idea of perspectives that are not just american (and where more than 5% own passports)
basically, just a laid back tolerant place with thinking people that my kids could grow up enriched in.

i know all of those things are impossible in one place, but i would really like suggestions for ones are similar in some ways. many thanks in advance!!
Wherever you feel at home.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM

13 posts, read 24,514 times
thanks for the replies so far. i have to admit, when i say not cold or cloudy, i am pretty set on that. i lived in seattle type weather and nearly lost it after only a year, all the pluses were erased by the miserable weather! i don't mind some snow but need sun in the winter (eg, colorado would be okay, but not new england.) pretty much must be south of pennsylvania in the east and no more north than colorado in the west.

looking forward to more suggestion!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The best place I can think of within your parameters would be Grand Junction, Colorado. Winters are generally sunny and mild, with a couple of world-class blizzards that shut things down for a few days. Or maybe Lawrence, Kansas, which would be less than an hour's drive from Kansas City, but still a small college town feel.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingri View Post
Hmmm... if by kids making LOTS OF loud noise consistently in a restaurant, I don't know of any place - except cities that have chuck-e-cheese restaurants.

Aside from that one, you didn't really mention large, medium, or small cities or job situations.

However, you may wish to look at Asheville, North Carolina. A smaller city in the North Caroline mountains. Very progressive arts community there with a good number of individually owned restaurants. Tourism. Four distinct seasons - draws tons of people up there in Autumn to see the leaves change. Overall family oriented, but not strict southern stuffy like a lot of other cities that size, again, due to the arts community there. You would only be about 4 hours from coastal areas, less than 2 hours from Charlotte, and around 4 hours or less from Atlanta for bigger city stuff. Read up on it.

Another choice may be Chattanooga, Tennessee. Not as "pretty" as Asheville, but they are a medium sized city with a very popular tourist area along the river downtown that has an Aquarium, restaurant/museum area, and children's museum. Family oriented. A bit more conservative than Asheville, though. Nice riverfront area again. Two hours from Atlanta, 2 hours from Nashville, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.