U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:26 PM

5,992 posts, read 7,217,903 times

Advertisements

North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Kansas get lots of sunshine. The further west you go in those states, the sunnier it becomes. All have Midwestern, four-season climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 AM

15,409 posts, read 21,514,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Kansas get lots of sunshine. The further west you go in those states, the sunnier it becomes. All have Midwestern, four-season climates.
I would not consider the western portions of those states "Midwestern" at all. They have far more Western attributes and identify more with the Intermountain West cities and culture.
When I think Midwest I think of non-irrigated cornfields, soybean fields, lush pastures, trees, consistently cold winters, and middle of the road politics.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 AM

283 posts, read 456,612 times
Eastern Montana. Of course, sun in the winter means -60 F, but hey, you wanted non-tropical.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM

4,334 posts, read 6,598,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the Denver area gets the most sunny days on average than any other metro area in the US.
Definitely Denver gets many sunny days. Im not sure but I think Albuquerque also does.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,758,301 times
Lubbock, TX comes to mind...palm trees don't seem to grow there, if that's what is meant by tropical. It has a huge number of clear days.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 AM

15,409 posts, read 21,514,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Lubbock, TX comes to mind...palm trees don't seem to grow there, if that's what is meant by tropical. It has a huge number of clear days.
Many of the rural areas in that region have a large number of cotton acres irrigated by the Ogallala Aquifer. How is the groundwater holding up?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,758,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Many of the rural areas in that region have a large number of cotton acres irrigated by the Ogallala Aquifer. How is the groundwater holding up?
It depends on where you're talking about. Most places in the region would be considered "severely stressed," but some places, due to recharge features and other factors, are doing better than others.

Lubbock itself gets some of its water from the Ogallala in a nearby county, but the water there is nearly depleted. About five years ago they drilled some new wells NE of Amarillo, in an area which was pretty much untapped at the time (now Boone Pickens is trying to sell it to points east). It gets most of its water from a reservoir in the same general area as the new wells, but that's getting somewhat low. Luckily it built a pretty big new lake SE of the city, and it should get water from it in about four years.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 PM

14,163 posts, read 7,335,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the Denver area gets the most sunny days on average than any other metro area in the US.
Sorry, not true. My daughter lives in the Denver area and they have many more grey days than the metros in the desert southwest.

Las Cruces, NM averages between 330-350 days of sunshine per year. El Paso, TX is not far behind, averaging around 310 sunny days. Both Las Cruces and El Paso are located in the Chihuahuan Desert.

Moving west, the cities located in the Sonoran Desert boast the most sunny days per year (Tucson, Yuma, Phoenix...).

You will see palm trees in all of these cities, but the dry air quickly dispels any notion of 'tropical.'

Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,589,057 times
I live in Denver and we get lots and lots of sunshine!! In fact, coming from Michigan originally, I sometimes look forward to cloudy days

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM

5,992 posts, read 7,217,903 times
Compared to Michigan, the cloudiest state in the country, anywhere will seem sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.