U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 12:00 PM

127 posts, read 390,471 times

Advertisements

what the best east coast beach area to live, nc sc va ga fl

somplace with seasonal to year round beach weather, cool winters is not bad. i have the chance to live anywhere and love a nice beach view and that vacation daily feel.

post your choice area to live..... include cost info if you have any

jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 07:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,123,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
what the best east coast beach area to live, nc sc va ga fl

somplace with seasonal to year round beach weather, cool winters is not bad. i have the chance to live anywhere and love a nice beach view and that vacation daily feel.

post your choice area to live..... include cost info if you have any

jeff
Virginia Beach is very nice, a bit more commercial though than beaches in NC because its a city. Someone once said Va Beach is a cross between Daytona Beach , FL, and Cape May NJ. Thats a nice way to describe it. Virginia Beach being a city, and the Beaches off North Carolina are small coastal towns. I heard that Hilton Head, SC is also very nice.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:54 AM

133 posts, read 574,432 times
The beaches in GA are terrible. Some people rave about St Simons, Jekyl Island, and Sea Island. But, the beach is very tidal there and when the tide is out you basically have mud flats. The water, again due to the large tide, is HOT in the summer. I mean really almost too hot...burning hot. You have to walk out forever until the water is waist high so you can begin to feel cool. I have never been so disappointed in a beach before.

I have heard that NC's beaches are very nice but that the currents can be very dangerous there for kids and inexperienced swimmers.

I grew up on FL east coast and also spent many vacations on the gulf. If you want beautiful white sand and tiny waves, then the gulf wins hands down. They truly are beautiful beaches. But, if you want to surf
the east coast of florida wins. The only problem with FL in the summer, is that sometimes the sand is so hot you can't walk on the beach unless you are where the sand is wet. The sand on the east coast of florida is really just crushed up shells, so it gets really hot.

Not sure about Virginia.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:32 AM

569 posts, read 1,135,913 times
My preference would be the Outerbanks in NC. Other than Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, etc. it isn't very commercial and they are not anything like you'd see elsewhere. It is very laid back north towards Corolla and south towards Cape Hatteras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or