U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 PM

7 posts, read 44,330 times

Advertisements

Northwest Indiana. It has a suburban feel. Travel a few miles south you'll be in the rural areas. Travel a few miles north and you will have sank your car in Lake Michigan. However if you travel a few miles Northwest you'll be in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 PM

653 posts, read 3,134,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87920 View Post
Northwest Indiana. It has a suburban feel. Travel a few miles south you'll be in the rural areas. Travel a few miles north and you will have sank your car in Lake Michigan. However if you travel a few miles Northwest you'll be in Chicago.
Just hope your car does't break down in GARY!!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,308,647 times
yeah....I dont mean to put down the posters suggestion. But, I would heavily recommend that you dont move to nw indiana. Not only is it cold....its just not a good place to move. I think it could be a nice place if you were born there and you have an attachment to it (there certainly are positives to it)

but you have so many choices. nw indiana has too many problems.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,875,010 times
I only know about the northern midwest, and you certainly won't get away from harsh winters up here , but the cost of living is indeed lower that the northeast coast. However, if you want to feel like you are on the ocean, there are plenty of smaller towns dotting the lakefronts of the great lakes that have a nice 'beach town' feel (st joseph in Michigan is nice). However, if you do move on that side of the lake, you'll get a lot of snow.

Personally, I love the northeast coast (I have family in New England), and no offense to the southern midwest, but I have no real desire to ever live there, despite the mild climate.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM

105 posts, read 402,905 times
I too would say relocate to Kansas. It is in the center of the midwest. Kansas City is a great place to live, you have serveral towns and cities up and down the Missouri River. You have Topeka, Whictha, Salina, and many other places that are but just a few minutes away or a couple of hours.

The winters are not real harsh but like anywhere that has the 4 seasons it can be. The landscape of Kansas is just I think to hard to tell about, it goes from green fields, rolling hills, and meadows, to flat wide open spaces.

So if you do relocate to Kansas WELCOME!!!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,112,532 times
My wife actually attended a conference in Lawrence KS and was pretty blah on the area, but it was a particularly cold, gray weekend. Being lifelong New England'ers the "flatness" is a shock for sure.

I will look into Missouri, definitely sounds interesting. I had never considered Kansas City thinking it might be "too big" but it sounds lovely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City,_Missouri

Arkansas and "the South" in general are not very appealing, heat and humidity are not my friends.

We have a lot of friends in NC who like it well enough but are universally unhappy with the public schools. With a 4 year old, the school system is a VERY big deal for us, more so then the weather for sure.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:04 PM

364 posts, read 397,470 times
Oakland County, Michigan is a great place to live if you can find a job. It is one of the wealthiest and safest counties in America. Alot of professional jobs in the area. You know when times get tough it doesn't usually affect the rich, so Oakland County is doing OK. Alot to do from NBA to high end shopping to great restaurants.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,671,233 times
Kansas City is a big city, but the 'burbs (at least on the MO side - can't speak so much for the KS side) are nice and if you really want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, you can live in the country and be less than 45 minutes from KC.

As for schools, when you research them you will find the city school districts are awful. But who wants to live in the city anyway? Many of the suburban and country towns have decent to good schools.

We also chose MO over KS mainly because I can't stand the flatness in KS either. I grew up in northwestern NJ and northeastern PA. The flatness of KS disturbs me on some deep level I can't explain. lol

Old 04-11-2007, 01:38 AM

6,563 posts, read 13,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
We are casually considering a move to the midwest. The northeast's harsh winters and ridiculous cost of living are getting to be a real drag.

My wife has family in the Louisville area of KY, so we considered there.

We'd like a place with moderate weather, but still has seasons.

We are partial to areas around colleges as we enjoy the arts and culture. My wife and I are both graphic designers though I think I would certainly consider a job change. Heck, going to work on the Toyota assembly line for a few years actually appeals to me... the money and benefits are much better then what I make here and now as a designer in an ad firm.

Anyway, we'd love to hear some midwest recommendations. It's hard to look at this great big country and see everywhere so feel free to chime in. A place that is safe, had good jobs and schools, isn't too hot or to cold, nice people, and lower cost of living... ya' know, just the perfect American small city or big town.

thanks.

Louisville sounds perfect for you. The best way to describe the city is altogether surprising, a blend of south and north. People are always impressed with the culture and quality of life combined with the weather and cheap prices. PM me with questions if you like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or