U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 05:34 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,113,234 times

Advertisements

We are casually considering a move to the midwest. The northeast's harsh winters and ridiculous cost of living are getting to be a real drag.

My wife has family in the Louisville area of KY, so we considered there.

We'd like a place with moderate weather, but still has seasons.

We are partial to areas around colleges as we enjoy the arts and culture. My wife and I are both graphic designers though I think I would certainly consider a job change. Heck, going to work on the Toyota assembly line for a few years actually appeals to me... the money and benefits are much better then what I make here and now as a designer in an ad firm.

Anyway, we'd love to hear some midwest recommendations. It's hard to look at this great big country and see everywhere so feel free to chime in. A place that is safe, had good jobs and schools, isn't too hot or to cold, nice people, and lower cost of living... ya' know, just the perfect American small city or big town.

thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,675,349 times
I recently read good things about the Fayetteville-Springdale area of Arkansas. I can't remember where, I read too many relocation articles. lol But it said it had a steady economy, safe area, nice place, etc. I haven't personally been there but it might be worth looking into. I went to Hot Springs, Arkansas once and the people were super nice. I've been to Kentucky and I thought it was nice there, too.

If I find that article again, I will post its link.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM

653 posts, read 3,135,197 times
I would suggest MADISON WI. It's a real gem. One drawback of course is the long and cold winters. Myabe worth taking a look at though.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,763,355 times
Arkansas may be very nice, but it is very southern. Even Kentucky is quasi-southern come to think of it. Parts of Missouri have milder winters than most of the midwest. Southern Ohio is more temperate. Cincinnati? KCMO? Look for cities with state universities. Columbus, Columbia? Do you like urban or rural? Maybe that can get you a start.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:26 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,474,152 times
Madison, WI is quite a nice place actually! Give it a shot! Winters can be long and harsh at times, but the summers and quality of life more than make up for it.

I dont know how much youre interested in spending on a house, so Ill recommend some areas around here that are quite nice. Pay scales are awesome and jobs are plentiful and constantly growing. Here are my fave Chicagoland suburbs: Hinsdale, Wheaton, Bartlett, St. Charles, Warrenville, Lake Forest, South Elgin, Geneva, Wasco, Winfield, Lisle, Schaumburg, Bloomingdale, Barrington, Barrington Hills, Plainfield, Glen Ellyn.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:36 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,370,480 times
I'd like to pipe in and recommend Kansas City. The weather is definitely four seasons but winters are much milder than what you experience in Vermont. The city has a surprisingly large and vibrant arts scene. The economy there is good and the cost of living is quite low as well.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:39 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,310,358 times
what you want, is actually more in the southern region. The midwest is going to be about as dismally cold as your trying to get away from!

For the climate you want, louisville is at about the northern boundary of what I would consider a more gentle, milder climate, where winter leaves a bit sooner (compared to my location in northern illinois).

I think arkansas and kansas city are good suggestions, I would also look at more of the cities in Kentucky (I havn't been to many besides louisville or I would recommend one...i would check out lexington, KY myself though). I have also heard that Columbia, MO is a very nice town.

There ARE a lot of nice towns in illinois, iowa, indiana and wisconsin (what I consider the real midwest) but they are just sooo cold. I dont think it would be worth considering for you since you want easier winters (maybe southern illinois or southern indiana...maybe!).

Old 04-08-2007, 05:57 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,675,349 times
My husband and I are relocating to the KCMO 'burbs this summer. I almost also recommended it, but refrained because from what I have heard, their winters are...winterish, not terrible but not mild, either. Still, we love it, enough to move there, so maybe it would be right for you too. The people there are super nice.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 PM

53 posts, read 285,508 times
Lawrence, KS

Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,929,453 times
I just spent a few days in Columbia, MO and thought it a rather nice town/city; has a college or two, good restaurants, an established downtown and affordable housing.

I couldn't recommend a specific town in KY, but having just driven through it from West to East, I'd say it is one of the greenest, most beautiful states in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or