U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:55 AM

5,367 posts, read 12,975,599 times

Advertisements

I know my neighbors and they know me. When I have parties I invite them and vice versa. My one neighbor travels the world and when she's not home I watch her house and bring the trash cans back in and she does the same for me. Sometimes we have dinner out. Same with my other neighbors. It seems so ridiculous not to know your neighbors. Newer subdivisions with giant garages in the front and sometimes no sidewalks really does make a difference. That is why I chose never to live in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,458,564 times
True happiness is of a retired nature, and an enemy to pomp and noise; it arises, in the first place, from the enjoyment of one's self, and in the next from the friendship and conversation of a few select companions.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,796,698 times
Well if my neighbors were like me they would enjoy comming over to bowl a few games!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 PM

133 posts, read 574,394 times
This is a very interesting thread! I have no idea what has happened over the years. It is almost like the media has developed a mistrust in us all. I think everyone is a tiny bit afraid of opening up. I also think that more people are eating out and not cooking at home and not inviting people over. The US schools have become so large that it is hard to get to know the parents. I think people are truly exhausted and tend to want to veg out at home after a long days work. We are afraid to let our children ride their bikes around the neighborhood. We are not outside walking around and talking to others. We are all desperately looking for "safe places" to live. Few communitites have little small towns with mom and pop shops. We have walmarts and super targets. We shop for a month so we don't have to do it again. We have tried to make everythig so "convenient" and "easy" that we have now isolated ourselves and made our lives more lonely. Somehow we have done this to ourselves.
My children recently told me (we live is Asia currently on overseas assignment) that when they move back home that they want to live in a place where they can walk to the shops and the shop people know their names! This comment came without prompting!!! We are villagers at heart.
I think everyone has gotten so caught up in money and material things that we have lost our perspective on life and what it is all about. It is truly a shame. I hope that this begins to change.
I find it funny that when I was house hunting in the US recently (we may be returning soon) I actually noticed which towns had sidewalks and which ones didn't. I vowed to try not to move to a place that had no sidewalks!
Anyway, I hope that as a country we will begin to see the error in our ways!
Maybe we have to hit rock bottom first!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,798,111 times
I don't like it when people just drop by because I am self-conscious about my house being messy. During the week we are in survival mode- work, school, activities. Saturday I clean (I use that term lossly) and Sundays we have church and go to lunch, then a few hours to do laundry and get ready for Monday. But I visit with my neighbors outside and also think that having a dog is a good way to get to know your neighbors, since we speak each day at the park.

We do look after one another's places and I send food over to an elderly neighbor a couple times a month. And another gives us citrus. During hurricanes we help one another and I know that my kids could go to them if they ever needed help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or