Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 AM

153 posts, read 416,632 times

Advertisements

I live in Miami

1. People are very hostile.

2. Horrible drivers.

3. Many immigrants here don't understand American laws.

4. Cockroaches (cucarachas)

5. Step outside and you feel your skin is frying.

6. All the young people seem to be ghetto and look alike.

7. Reggaeton and horrible Spanish music. (Although I love Shakira)

8. BORINNGGG. Unless you want to go to South Beach but that's a whole other dysfunctional story.

9. You MUST drive everywhere. And be prepared to be honked at most days.

10. Corruption is EVERYWHERE.

Then there's also crime, drugs, non-English speaking workers at stores, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 AM

635 posts, read 1,509,905 times
Seattle, Washington
1) Cloudy skies a majority of the year.
2) Raining the majority of the year.
3) Cold a majority of the year.
4) Hippies control everything.
5) Everyone is always sick because of the weather so there is this giant cycle of getting sick because you just pass it back and forth over and over.
6) The smell of fish and bird crap with a mix of salt water and shellfish.
7) They talk like the rest of the U.S. doesn't exist in their news coverage, it was a shock that they covered the tornadoes in the southeast, for however short of a period of time it was.
8) The highest temperature achieved this year was in the low to mid 70's. Summer is a pattern as follows: ha! What summer? Just more rain and clouds.
9) Every freaking road sign seems like it says nw, its like random road nw to Podunk drive nw to nowhere st nw it is one of those things that always ticks me off.
10) People think that the lumberjack beard and flannel is still fashionable... ugly idiots.

But oh well i have to make the best of it, they are very passionate about there soccer here, that is
a very good redeeming quality to me.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
I live in Tuscarawas County, which is in Ohio located 2 hours south of Cleveland. I dislike living here for a lot of the same reasons as why bchris02 (topic creator) disliked where he lived, while some reasons aren't quite to the extent of his, others are actually worse. I listed 11 reasons instead of 10, you probably don’t mind.

1) Everyone acts like the more populated towns in the county are “cities”, even though it lacks over 75% of the amenities that even small cities have. Yet, the same people think all of the actual cities are “crime-ridden ghetto hell-holes” because the closest cities have unusually high crime-rates (Canton, Akron, and Cleveland).

2) Most people start having their first baby around high school graduation, if you aren’t one of them then you are looked down on as “socially-awkward”.

3) Arson. Places seem to get caught on fire all of the time. Most notably, a large vintage antique store burnt down completely, and a really good pizza place got burnt enough to close down (I don’t know if it’s closed forever or not)

4) Speaking of places to eat, I’ll admit the very few non-chain restaurants we have are very good, but the majority of the places we have aren’t even regular chain restaurants, they’re FAST FOOD restaurants!

5) For things to do, the county caters almost entirely to meat-heads, if you’re not a meat-head, then T-County hates you. They act like meat-heads are the only people that really matter in the county, and they think high school football is all a little town needs to be not only content, but to be pure gold as well (even though football season only lasts during August, September, and October). If you’re not into football you’re getting the shaft badly. There’s also a Skate Place which is fun at first, then you realize it's full of middle school aged jocks. There’s also Wal*Mart (it’s another place where that’s considered a fun activity), and a mall with outdated theaters that’s just lackluster compared to most other malls. Also, a lot of people eat out more than usual (the fact that most food places are fast food does not help) not because they’re hungry, but because they use it as an excuse to do something other than sitting at home all day since the place hardly has anything to do. If you’re not a meat-head, then most of your free time will be spent browsing the internet and/or playing video games. There are also a lot of people that say T-County is awesome even though they’re couch potatoes that spend most of their time watching the idiot box (TV).

6) You probably already know that Ohio weather is garbage all-year round. However, not-so good weather doesn’t always mean the place itself sucks, in fact, some of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world have not-so good weather (NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Toronto, London, Paris, etc.) but T-County is a stirring bowl for the recipe known as SAD (Seasonal affective disorder).

7) It’s also full of people THINK they KNOW what the weather is going to be for the whole next season and act all “right” about it just because how the weather was this week even though Ohio has the most unpredictable weather in the world, even the professional weathermen are wrong a lot of times.

8) I just recently noticed how many people in this area have been to the ocean, or only go to the ocean once every 4-8 years.

9) My town’s high school is physically in a awful condition, smells like ****, and looks like it could fall apart anytime since it hasn’t been changed since the FREAKING SIXTIES (My house was built in the 70s and that’s gone through plenty of changes since it was built) They just NOW realize that they need a new school, but the only location they could find is way up on the NW end of town (screwing over the people in the south and east parts of town), in a area with heavy traffic and no sidewalk, and also floods easily.

10) Minimal opportunities to further education, most people move out right away to look for it, some go to the small community college for 2 years but move out after that.

I’ll admit there are places in the world and even in the state of Ohio that are much worse than T-County, we have Amish country nearby, we don’t have the insanely high crime-rates like the cities directly north of us, and most of the counties surrounding us don’t even have things to do for kids. For kids, we have a miniature amusement park with a golf course and plenty of playgrounds, but you become too old for almost all of that once you become 13. A lot of people here are nice, but I dealt with plenty of jerks and meat-heads here as well. I’m looking for the perfect-sized place in-between a town and super city which does exist; the only people that don’t think it exists are TV-addicts that let the media control their minds.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:49 AM

I live in Tuscarawas County, which is in Ohio located 2 hours south of Cleveland. I dislike living here for a lot of the same reasons as why bchris02 (topic creator) disliked where he lived, while some reasons aren't quite to the extent of his, others are actually worse. I listed 11 reasons instead of 10, you probably don’t mind.

1) Everyone acts like the more populated towns in the county are “cities”, even though it lacks over 75% of the amenities that even small cities have. Yet, the same people think all of the actual cities are “crime-ridden ghetto hell-holes” because the closest cities have unusually high crime-rates (Canton, Akron, and Cleveland).

2) Most people start having their first baby around high school graduation, if you aren’t one of them then you are looked down on as “socially-awkward”.

3) Arson. Places seem to get caught on fire all of the time. Most notably, a large vintage antique store burnt down completely, and a really good pizza place got burnt enough to close down (I don’t know if it’s closed forever or not)

4) Speaking of places to eat, I’ll admit the very few non-chain restaurants we have are very good, but the majority of the places we have aren’t even regular chain restaurants, they’re FAST FOOD restaurants!

5) For things to do, the county caters almost entirely to meat-heads, if you’re not a meat-head, then T-County hates you. They act like meat-heads are the only people that really matter in the county, and they think high school football is all a little town needs to be not only content, but to be pure gold as well (even though football season only lasts during August, September, and October). If you’re not into football you’re getting the shaft badly. There’s also a Skate Place which is fun at first, then you realize it's full of middle school aged jocks. There’s also Wal*Mart (it’s another place where that’s considered a fun activity), and a mall with outdated theaters that’s just lackluster compared to most other malls. Also, a lot of people eat out more than usual (the fact that most food places are fast food does not help) not because they’re hungry, but because they use it as an excuse to do something other than sitting at home all day since the place hardly has anything to do. If you’re not a meat-head, then most of your free time will be spent browsing the internet and/or playing video games. There are also a lot of people that say T-County is awesome even though they’re couch potatoes that spend most of their time watching the idiot box (TV).

6) You probably already know that Ohio weather is garbage all-year round. However, not-so good weather doesn’t always mean the place itself sucks, in fact, some of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world have not-so good weather (NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Toronto, London, Paris, etc.) but T-County is a stirring bowl for the recipe known as SAD (Seasonal affective disorder).

7) It’s also full of people THINK they KNOW what the weather is going to be for the whole next season and act all “right” about it just because how the weather was this week even though Ohio has the most unpredictable weather in the world, even the professional weathermen are wrong a lot of times.

8) I just recently noticed how many people in this area have been to the ocean, or only go to the ocean once every 4-8 years.

9) My town’s high school is physically in a awful condition, smells like ****, and looks like it could fall apart anytime since it hasn’t been changed since the FREAKING SIXTIES (My house was built in the 70s and that’s gone through plenty of changes since it was built) They just NOW realize that they need a new school, but the only location they could find is way up on the NW end of town (screwing over the people in the south and east parts of town), in a area with heavy traffic and no sidewalk, and also floods easily.

10) Minimal opportunities to further education, most people move out right away to look for it, some go to the small community college for 2 years but move out after that.

I’ll admit there are places in the world and even in the state of Ohio that are much worse than T-County, we have Amish country nearby, we don’t have the insanely high crime-rates like the cities directly north of us, and most of the counties surrounding us don’t even have things to do for kids. For kids, we have a miniature amusement park with a golf course and plenty of playgrounds, but you become too old for almost all of that once you become 13. A lot of people here are nice, but I dealt with plenty of jerks and meat-heads here as well. I’m looking for the perfect-sized place in-between a town and super city which does exist; the only people that don’t think it exists are TV-addicts that let the media control their minds.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 AM

Accidental double post, delete that first post, and this post please!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
1. In the summer, it's extremely hot and muggy.
2. bugs. mosquitos, red wasps, yellowjackets, fireants, and oak tree caterpillars from hell
3. Road layouts suck and the road quality is horrible.
4. A lack of museums.
5. I wish the downtown area was larger. It is tiny and nobody lives in it (but plenty right around it).
6. A lack of clear streams, rivers, or lakes. Everything is muddy and brown because of the Mississippi delta.
7. Nearest mountains are many hours away.
8. I wish there was a bit more asian population.
9. High rate of drunk driving and auto accidents. Auto insurance is expensive.
10. Hurricane/flood prone.

Of course, this stuff is made up for by the fact that the place has a ton of fun culture, amazing food, great people, and has been my home for 29 years.
Louisiana love.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Let us know where you live Innotech.

Houston:
1. Surface road traffic
2. Surface road conditions, arguably the worst for a city that sprawls as this one does, most of which are in horrible and sometimes almost impassable roads.
3. Suburban layout
4. Really bad planning further out of the city
5. No coastal areas in the proper that isn't muddy
6. Distance from other cities

Old 07-07-2011, 02:25 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
To preface, I actually like living in Sacramento for the most part and consider it's positives more than its negatives. But as a SF native, I tend to compare every city I live in to SF, which is a high bar indeed, so there are some things I am not satisfied about.

1. Extremely hot summers (I never got these in SF where it is mostly temperate all year)
2. Bad allergies (Sac is in a valley so it tends to accumulate a lot of pollen during spring)
3. Not enough of a big city feel (doesn't feel anywhere as cosmopolitan or urban as SF)
4. Not enough cultural amenities (there are a lot of small museums here and a few decent ones, but no great natural history museum or a great aquarium like in places such as NY, Chicago or SF)
5. Missing some good key ethnic cuisines such as Burmese, Peruvian and Malaysian.
6. Local economy is too dependent on the government, this place needs more high tech and high paying private industries
7. Besides UC Davis and Sac State, there aren't any other major four year university in the area. There needs to be more educational opportunities.
8. Still 1.5 hours away from the ocean.
9. Home prices have suffered a major hit in the last few years.
10. People in general are less cultured/intellectual or political than in the Bay Area. Though the latter may be a good thing in some cases.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Let us know where you live Innotech.

Houston:
1. Surface road traffic
2. Surface road conditions, arguably the worst for a city that sprawls as this one does, most of which are in horrible and sometimes almost impassable roads.
3. Suburban layout
4. Really bad planning further out of the city
5. No coastal areas in the proper that isn't muddy
6. Distance from other cities
Lafayette, Louisiana.
Honestly I really love it here. There is no lack of culture or great food or nightlife here. Lafayetters love to party and there are festivals all year long.
The good vastly outweighs the bad. The scorching summer heat seems to be peoples' #1 gripe.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM

326 posts, read 871,935 times
1. Absolutely vicious mosquitoes
2. Poor bike/pedestrian paths in my part of town
3. One of the dirtiest cities
4. Not a diversified economy
5. We don't have any legit dangerous areas, but a lot of the city just feels kind of sketchy
6. Outside of downtown, bizarre layout and poor traffic flow
7. Too much ice in the winters lately - poor quality snow
8. Bears and moose are an inconvenience
9. Terribly isolated from everywhere else
10. Food costs a lot here

Anchorage, AK

...but, I'm moving soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.