U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM

7,946 posts, read 16,330,666 times

Advertisements

Not all of us are living in the cities of our dreams. Do circumstances such as family, money, the national economy, etc have you stuck somewhere you really can't find a lot of reasons to like? If so, this thread is for you. As with the other thread, keep this focused on YOUR city. Also list your age, if you have a family, if/when you plan on moving, and what is keeping you where you are. I'll start

I am 23, no family, living in Little Rock, AR, and am stuck here because of the recession. Here are my 10 reasons.

1. Everybody gets married straight out of high school, if you are my age and not married yet it's very awkward
2. Most young people who are educated leave after college and never look back. Therefore, there isn't much of an intellectual community.
3. "Nightlife" consists of hanging around a Chili's bar, going to the honky tonk, or most commonly the evening church service. There are not enough things to do so this town gets real boring real fast
4. "Culture" means a George Strait or Ricky Skaggs concert.
5. Social life centers almost entirely around religion with few other options.
6. Unbelievable sprawl for such a low population - people here LOVE to drive EVERYWHERE
7. Little exposure to ethnic cuisine - here people rave about the Olive Garden, no genuine health food
8. Few retail options outside of Wal-Mart, Target, and low end department stores like Kohls. No decent malls. Most people drive to Dallas or Memphis to shop
9. Very high crime for such a small town, I could deal with the crime if there were amenities to make up for it like you have in big cities. People here say stuff like "well all major cities have crime". Newsflash. Little Rock is not a major city. Its far from it.
10. Very little community pride and the city leaders are very anti-growth and anti-change

I could think of many more reasons but those are the first 10 that came to mind.

Last edited by bchris02; 05-20-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,953,332 times
Naples, Florida. They call it a "city", but that is a major, major stretch. Numbers not in any particular order. Just as they came to mind.

1. Heat
2. Humidity
3. Year round summer.
4. Cookie cutter scenery that never changes the entire year.
5. BUGS
6. No culture, except for BEACH culture
7. Snowbirds, tourists, and starry eyed transplants
8. Old people in shorts
9. Old people on bicycles
10. Palm trees to the left of me, palm trees to the right of me. Nothing but PALM TREES.

I could add more, but you get the picture. Came here because of husband's job. Will move back to NY when we can retire in a few years. I HOPE. My daughters still live in NY. My older daughter moved to Naples last November and moved back this past March. 4 months was all she could take of it.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,584,728 times
1. people with inferiority complexes who move away to a higher-profile and then say everyone here has an inferiority complex

Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,234,984 times
1-10
taxes

Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,947,217 times
17, single, Detroit.

10) Poor education. Very high illiteracy rate, to boot. And it isn't just that people don't appreciate intellectual pursuits, they despise them.

9) No respect for the environment. People will throw their trash wherever they like. They drive several expensive SUVs and large vehicles that they will never put to any reasonable use. You can't talk to people about respect for the planet, they'll stare at you like an alien. Putting your recyclables into the recycling bin, even if it's just right next to the trash bin, makes you a hippy. Eating organic foods makes you a hippy.

8) Poor infrastructure. The roads are in terrible disrepair.

7) Terrible transit. Only buses, which run rather unreliably and are shabby themselves. Bus stops have no windows when it rains or in the winter. No rail, no metro, none of that.

6) Very narrow minded on race across all ages and ethnic groups.

5) Not a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's within the city limits. You have to go out of the city in order to get decent organic/health foods.

4) No shopping either. Not a mall or decent clothing store inside the city limits.

3) Hopeless politics.

2) No respect for artistic pursuits. There are few people here who could be arsed to care about mid 20th century abstract expressionists. No one can name more than 5 (real) authors. No one watches a single film or listens to a single musician/band that hasn't been pushed on them by the Entertainment Industrial Complex.

1) Poor sense of style. Oversized white t's and clown pants are the furthest from chic you could possibly get.

Most of this could be applied to a multitude of other American cities.

What's keeping me here is that I haven't completed secondary yet. I plan to go to Montreal(University of Montreal, Quebec at Montreal, or Concordia) if possible. I love the city. It's so cosmopolitan yet so affordable. Boston(BU, Suffolk, Emerson), San Francisco(SFSU), New York(NYU- Not likely), Brussels, Lyon.

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 05-20-2009 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 AM

6,627 posts, read 13,593,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not all of us are living in the cities of our dreams. Do circumstances such as family, money, the national economy, etc have you stuck somewhere you really can't find a lot of reasons to like? If so, this thread is for you. As with the other thread, keep this focused on YOUR city. Also list your age, if you have a family, if/when you plan on moving, and what is keeping you where you are. I'll start

I am 23, no family, living in Little Rock, AR, and am stuck here because of the recession. Here are my 10 reasons.

1. Everybody gets married straight out of high school, if you are my age and not married yet it's very awkward
2. Most young people who are educated leave after college and never look back. Therefore, there isn't much of an intellectual community.
3. "Nightlife" consists of hanging around a Chili's bar, going to the honky tonk, or most commonly the evening church service. There are not enough things to do so this town gets real boring real fast
4. "Culture" means a George Strait or Ricky Skaggs concert.
5. Social life centers almost entirely around religion with few other options.
6. Unbelievable sprawl for such a low population - people here LOVE to drive EVERYWHERE
7. Little exposure to ethnic cuisine - here people rave about the Olive Garden, no genuine health food
8. Few retail options outside of Wal-Mart, Target, and low end department stores like Kohls. No decent malls. Most people drive to Dallas or Memphis to shop
9. Very high crime for such a small town, I could deal with the crime if there were amenities to make up for it like you have in big cities. People here say stuff like "well all major cities have crime". Newsflash. Little Rock is not a major city. Its far from it.
10. Very little community pride and the city leaders are very anti-growth and anti-change

I could think of many more reasons but those are the first 10 that came to mind.
Jesus. Reading your list reminded me of the beginning of Office Space when Peter is talking with the therapist and he says "basically every day is worse than the one before it"; the therapist says "so, is today the worst day of your life?", Peter says "yes" then the therapist apologizes and dies of a heart attack. That's seriously how I feel right now. I really feel for you. I sincerely hope you find a city and job that's right for you. It sounds as if Little Rock isn't that place haha. Good luck.

As for me, I love Boston but I do have a couple quarrels with life here.

1. The winter is horrible. Spring, summer and fall are all great. But the hideous cold of late Dec, Jan, and Feb can be too much to bear at times.

2. Corrupt politicians. In order to get anything done in this town, you need to make sure you have adequately supported your local politician.

3. Rabid NIMBY population. This city is so anti-development it's not even funny. I work at the John Hancock Tower, which is 60 stories and about 795 ft tall. We have a project proposed which would rise a block away. It would cover an exposed highway and put it underground. It's supposed to be 400 ft. tall. NIMBYs have fought it tooth and nail, saying it's too tall and will cause neighborhoods to be covered in shadows. 2 other projects downtown, near the waterfront would be destroying 2 gigantic garages and putting all parking underground. NIMBYs are fighting those too! It's too tall! Shadows! Solar glare! I don't like the way it looks! It's out of place! Why do we need things to change!? It's absurd at times.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM

12,390 posts, read 26,817,015 times
hmmm bchris02, my post is about like yours, but since I am leaving soon, I'm sure you guys can gather my sentiment but the city is not even worth the effort to make a list for.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,206,921 times
1. The people - It is very hard to find a to find a person from here that is not a redneck. Most people watch nascar and go deer hunting or "muddin" in their free time. Country music dominates the radio stations. The local hair style is a mullet while they are wearing a rebel flag tshirt. Yesterday, while at Publix, I saw a woman that had a "redneck woman" sticker blastered on the back of her truck in the back windshield, which disgusted me. And all of this probably goes back to the education systems. South Carolina ranks consistantly one of the worst for a reason. And lets not even start talking about the way these people speak.

2. South Carolina is consistantly ranked one of the highest states for obesity. These people look like whales. Fast food restaurants dominate the dining scene. I see a Bonjangles, McDonalds, Burger King, Hardees, Chickfila, etc within a 5 miile span. People consider Subway "healthy". Also, there is only one whole foods store near me and it is very small

3. Trailers - I will NEVER understand why someone would want to live in a trailer. They DEPRECIATE in value. People here think that a double wide trailer is high class. If you can't afford a house then just rent an apartment. What makes me madder is the lack of zoning. There is trailers next to houses everywhere. I am not a real estate expert, but that lowers the value of my house

4. Zero Pro Sports - I am NOT driving an hour and a half to go see the Carolina Panthers or any other event. Zero concerts come through Columbia that interest me. People here are still obsessed with Elvis, Jimmy Buffet and country artist. Kenny Chesney came here and there were billboards every on the interstate for it.

5. The food is awful here. It is nothing, but fast food or chain options such as chili's or applebees

6. Driving - Obviously this place has a very low population because it is boring as hell. However, Columbia SC was voted the worst drivers in America in 2007 and trust me...... these rednecks live up to it. They think it is a nascar race every time they get into there car. The roads are awful and there is ZERO public transit

7. Heat/Humidity/Weather - I don't want to see 80 degree weather in the winter time.

8. The nightlife is non exisitent. It is just a bunch of rednecks thrown together to listen to country music and talk about the next Carolina Gamecocks vs Clemson Tigers game

9. Bible Belt Thumpers - I do not want someone to randomly ask me where I go to church, to leave advertisements on my doorstep for me to go to church or to advertise their church on tv during commerical breaks. People cram religion down your throats here and if you don't go then you won't fit in

10. Tacky dressing - I have never seen people that were this outdated in my entire life. Apart of it goes back to the bible belt culture and apart of it is the retail options available. I don't think these people have been exposed to anything else to be honest. In the words of my friend that moved here from LA "we did that 20 years ago in la, when i was in high school"

I am counting down the days until i leave this hell hole called Columbia SC. Bye Ya'll

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 05-20-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

6,966 posts, read 19,535,741 times
Quote:
3. Rabid NIMBY population. This city is so anti-development it's not even funny. I work at the John Hancock Tower, which is 60 stories and about 795 ft tall. We have a project proposed which would rise a block away. It would cover an exposed highway and put it underground. It's supposed to be 400 ft. tall. NIMBYs have fought it tooth and nail, saying it's too tall and will cause neighborhoods to be covered in shadows. 2 other projects downtown, near the waterfront would be destroying 2 gigantic garages and putting all parking underground. NIMBYs are fighting those too! It's too tall! Shadows! Solar glare! I don't like the way it looks! It's out of place! Why do we need things to change!? It's absurd at times.
ha! i hear ya. we've got the same issue here tmac. there is a massive cement lot chained up in society hill where drug dealers, junkies and homeless congregate. an 11 story (11 story!!) hotel was prosposed and the society hill NIMBYs fought it tooth and nail. so it remains a filthy dangerous empty hole. same with the supertall ACC proposal downtown in the central business district. the neighboring hood (logan circle?) association had NIMBYs also fight the proposal. the reason? its too tall and will block their sunlight! idiots!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM

10,736 posts, read 19,037,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

*shudders* That's the biggest complaint of most of New England for me. I assume you're talking about Columbus Center (Ned on archboston represents all of Boston NIMBYs in my head- irrational and relentless). You've also got Copley Place right there too. Also, don't forget the fierce opposition to the new Prudential "Tower" at 800 Boylston which is something along the lines of 19 stories and it sits on the same lot as a 52 storey tower yet the 19 story tower is going to somehow cast shadows all over the Back Bay. Combine that with the FAA restricting tower height in the FD and it really feels like Boston is destined to settle for height-capped boxes and poorly constructed pre-cast brick structures that attempt to "recreate" the feel of Old Boston (while in reality, they'll make it look like Suburban Phoenix). It amazes me that in every effort to protect their unique urban environment, the Boston NIMBYs are truely anti-urban. It's counterproductive and frustrating to no end. If that Government Center Garage proposal can get off the ground, then I will be thrilled, but I certainly won't hold my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>