U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM

9,119 posts, read 21,041,800 times
Default Texting While Driving - Americans Worse ?

First, here' an interesting article found today: Americans still texting while driving despite bans (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090520/lf_nm_life/us_driving_texting - broken link)

It seems to vary state by state, and apparently nearly half of Tennessee drivers seem to text while driving now. , but it's apparently a larger problem than some may think here.

I have relatives that live overseas, and they told me (um, via text but not while driving) that the laws are varied there, but they really don't have a huge problem with people who text while driving. My Aunt said that even seeing people talking while driving appears to her to be much less prevalent than it is here (though there are more laws over there aimed at it, too).

So - admit it - do YOU text while driving? If so, why? Will you rethink it or stop if you do? etc etc. Discuss, debate, DON'T flame or fight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM

1,992 posts, read 5,110,384 times
I swear on all that is Holy, if I ever get hit by a driver who is texting, If I'm able to still walk, there wouldn't be enough police officers in America, to keep me from wrapping my hands around their neck.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,467,424 times
Well I don't text message so technically no, but when I was younger I used to try do other things on my phone while driving. Stopped doing this after I was rear ended by a man using his phone.

Nowadays I'm not even comfortable talking on the phone while driving unless I'm on a broad country road.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,305,765 times
I don't have a car, but I text while I'm walking along the busy streets. That's probably almost as bad as texting while driving. I know I shouldn't do it. Don't do it too much though.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 AM

1,992 posts, read 5,110,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't have a car, but I text while I'm walking along the busy streets. That's probably almost as bad as texting while driving. I know I shouldn't do it. Don't do it too much though.
You have the nerve to do that in the city? I mean, I HATE it when people do this while I walk down busy streets like 42nd or Broadway.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM

6,381 posts, read 8,647,390 times
I'll cop: I sometimes text and drive if I'm on a long trip on those straight, boring stretches of Interstate through Indiana, etc. With no turns and only so many other cars on the roads, it's not the most dangerous thing in the world. Still, I should stop.

I NEVER, however, would text and drive in town.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,467,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't have a car, but I text while I'm walking along the busy streets. That's probably almost as bad as texting while driving
Lol I don't think so. The worst that is likely to happen is that you bump into someone else. Texting while driving however could end in a fatality. Especially in the Sunbelt where there are many lanes and roads with high speed limits.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,305,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Lol I don't think so. The worst that is likely to happen is that you bump into someone else. Texting while driving however could end in a fatality. Especially in the Sunbelt where there are many lanes and roads with high speed limits.

Well, i'm crossing roads constantly. I could always get hit by a car, trip on something and break a leg, etc. lol lovely thing to think about...I better stop doing it

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM

9,119 posts, read 21,041,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I swear on all that is Holy, if I ever get hit by a driver who is texting, If I'm able to still walk, there wouldn't be enough police officers in America, to keep me from wrapping my hands around their neck.
You're a lot nicer than me - once I got done with them, the doctors would wonder why there's a "you have messages" tone coming from the upper intestinal area of that person.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM

137 posts, read 185,562 times
Okay I admit it. I text while driving. Yea it's wrong, but so is smoking. I do, however, stop (momentarily) if there's a police car around me. I don't do it a lot, but I'm still guilty.

There, I feel much better now.

And no, I have never caused a wreck. And I'm in my mid 30's. So there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.