U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,014,828 times
Default Northeast versus Florida

If you could live ANYWHERE in the entire NE, pick it, or anywhere, in FLORIDA, pick it, where would you prefer to live?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:26 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,419,465 times
I would take the Northeast. Florida does not appeal to me at all.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:29 PM

6,391 posts, read 8,716,221 times
In my book:

Pros for Florida: Warm Summers.

Pros for the Northeast: Everything else.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM

676 posts, read 956,389 times
I'll take anywhere in Florida over anywhere in the Northeast. The Northeast is great to visit, but the weather is much too cold for too long. Also, I enjoy everything about Florida too much. I have a hard time running out of stuff to do.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,045,511 times
NE over anything in Florida.I don't find anything about Fl. appealing at all.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 PM

5,348 posts, read 9,126,719 times
I take the Northeast any day of the week. Maybe I'd take Miami over much of Northern New England (i.e. all of Maine, NH, or VT with the exception of Portsmouth/Nashua/Manchester NH) but on the whole, I'd choose the Northeast.

My reasons are as follows:

1)The diversity of the Landscape... Mountains, hills, rivers, lakes, streams, oceans, etc in the NE as opposed to flat, monotonous Florida.

2) The urbanity of the Northeast's cities vs. the urbanity of Florida's. With the exception of a few areas in Miami and a small portion of Tampa, Florida is entirely auto-centric and sprawl friendly. I'd take the Northeastern urban areas any day of the week.

3) Seasons. I know Northern Florida's temperatures fluctuate more than the rest of the state, but not NEARLY to the degree that they do in the Northeast. I like the snow, I like the spring blooms, I LOVE the summers in the NE, and autumn is beautiful in the Northeast too. I know some hate the cold, but I take the cold and the seasonal weather any day.

4) The setup of the cities and towns. Now I know I mentioned that I like the cities better up North, but I also like the way the towns are setup. Too many Floridian towns blend right into the next without standing out in any way. I love the villages and towns (with DISTINCT town centers) that make up the Northeastern part of the country. Each community really gives one a sense of place in the Northeast and that's hard to find in Florida. The terrain also adds to this effect... it gets to the point where you recognize hills and mountains and that really says, "you are HERE" where there's none of that in Florida.

5) The culture and the history. I don't mean culture in the form of museums and events, I mean it in a distinct regional identity. When you combine the culture with the history of the Northeast, you get a sense of time and place. You can find this all over the Northeast. I lived for a while in a nondescript town near Boston where when you walked by the church in the center you can look up and see a bell that was hand-crafted by Paul Revere or the Inn that George Washington ate ate. I can go down the road to New Bedford and walk the same streets that Herman Melville did when he was writing Moby Dick (in fact, you can go in the same buildings)... Fredrick Douglas walked those same streets. You can go to the site where the Pilgrims landed (both of them, Plymouth and Provincetown) or visit Emily Dickinson's house. You can also walk on the same docks that legendary fishing fleets have been using for centuries. There's a lifestyle in the Northeast that's entirely different than Florida's and I prefer it.

I'm not knocking Florida. It's a beautiful state, but I personally much prefer the Northeast... Just about ANYWHERE in the Northeast vs all of Florida.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM

12,798 posts, read 18,940,683 times
Something on the Upper East Side of NYC would be heavenly...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 PM

69 posts, read 154,274 times
I hate the summer so NE wins easily and that isn't the only reason.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,348,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
In my book:

Pros for Florida: Warm Summers.

Pros for the Northeast: Everything else.
You prefer FL summers over the NE's? Having lived in FL, I wouldn't consider their summers "warm", especially in comparison to the NE. FL's summers are among the most stifling in the country.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,941,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I take the Northeast any day of the week. .....
I'm not knocking Florida. It's a beautiful state, but I personally much prefer the Northeast... Just about ANYWHERE in the Northeast vs all of Florida.
Good post Irfox I agree 100%.
I would also add that you can go to a place like Concord and in a 1 mile radius, you can:
-Stand on the North Bridge where the British were turned back by the Minutemen on an April morning in 1775
-Stand at the door of Thoreau's cabin on Walden Pond.
-Lay flowers at the graves of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Louisa May Alcott, and Thoreau. All within about fifty feet of each other on Author's Ridge in Sleepy Hollow Cemetary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.