U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM

2,716 posts, read 4,639,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
That is INSANE. I cannot believe that. I've never heard of such a thing. Especially TODAY.

There was a valid point in the article though... If the white kids are 18, they're old enough to say "Hey, this isn't right... These are my friends," to their parents. You know?

On the part of those parents, that's just sick.
I'm pretty sure the black kids could speak up as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

31,955 posts, read 38,007,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
They have, if you read the article again. They have hit roadblocks from the school admins and parents of the White students as well.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
LOL Good one. I'm guessing that school is made up of blacks and whites only.
Here's the demographics of the student population......Interesting:Student Teacher Ratio Montgomery County High School - Mount Vernon, Georgia - GA

Where do the Hispanic students go?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:01 PM

218 posts, read 246,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Anyone, any race, can go to the "black" prom. They have spoken.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:33 PM

2,224 posts, read 4,594,219 times
Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Racism, not full on segregation...
Good point Hoarfrost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
What should be more shocking is the fact that people are shocked by this. It's amazing that in 2009 people actually think racism doesn't exist anymore. Comedy at it's best
Racism is one thing, segregation is another. I know it isn't school-sponsored, but school officials could have a school sponsored integrated prom. Integrated. We shouldn't be using that word in this context in this day and age.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 5,976,038 times
Agreed. The school should simply host a prom. But for some odd reason...they don't! 99% of schools do so clearly the problem lies with this school in this case.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM

Here's another example I found: http://newsone.blackplanet.com/natio...n-mississippi/

Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 AM

13,918 posts, read 16,577,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are there proms like this in an area you live in or are you familiar with such a prom situation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/ma.../24prom-t.html
NYers historically have received immigrants, helped slaves to freedom and welcomed people of all races, creeds, and cultures. As a NYer, prom segregation is something I can not believe exists.

I live in a large school district which still holds the prom at the HS gym. It's a slice of Americana and a refreshing departure from the commercialized proms churned out at catering halls. I try and imagine what children in this district would do if they were told that they were to have segregated proms. We would have black, white, Asian, Hispanic, middle eastern proms!

Still trying to get past the race issue, what about the expense? Catering hall x2, entertainment x2, etc.

I can't think of anyplace that I have been where it has been exclusively one race. Even in Vermont I bump into African Americans, African refugees, Hispanic and Asian people. These children are friends, date, intermingle. That's what they will experience outside of school...why perpetuate this farce, especially when the children have spoken against it?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
NYers historically have received immigrants, helped slaves to freedom and welcomed people of all races, creeds, and cultures. As a NYer, prom segregation is something I can not believe exists.

I live in a large school district which still holds the prom at the HS gym. It's a slice of Americana and a refreshing departure from the commercialized proms churned out at catering halls. I try and imagine what children in this district would do if they were told that they were to have segregated proms. We would have black, white, Asian, Hispanic, middle eastern proms!

Still trying to get past the race issue, what about the expense? Catering hall x2, entertainment x2, etc.

I can't think of anyplace that I have been where it has been exclusively one race. Even in Vermont I bump into African Americans, African refugees, Hispanic and Asian people. These children are friends, date, intermingle. That's what they will experience outside of school...why perpetuate this farce, especially when the children have spoken against it?
I know and we even had interracial couples at the proms I went to in suburban Syracuse. So, it would be odd to see that up here.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM

13,856 posts, read 14,036,003 times
I'm from rural Arkansas and there are many things I love about it. However I do think the older generation is still a wee bit racist and also the rural parts of the South are classically conservative. As in they resist change. Many of the kids at the white prom actually did say something like "I don't live like this most of the year, but it works okay for prom so why change it?" The black kids mostly indicated it didn't work for them so there might be a communication problem there.

Still I get the sense from some rural Southerners that they feel like they do need to tolerate their parents prejudices as they love them and the relationship is important to them. Having an older generation Southern Dad I kind-of relate. Also these people are still living at home so mostly do need their parents money to do any prom. (I would guess many or most of the whites at the "black prom" had parental approval as there are more enlightened older people even there)

All that said I found the story shocking and weird too. I'm not sure I ever saw such an extreme example of resistance to change and segregationism in my Southern relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.