Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 AM

110 posts, read 267,847 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Boston may work too. It's colder during the winter (and has a longer winter/ shorter spring) but the summers are much more comfortable than what you have in DC or Philly. The Autumn is much nicer too.

I personally love DC (lived there for a while.. or right outside the city in Kensington, MD), however I do agree about the lack of food. It's not terrible, but not fantastic either. I've found Boston to be much better in that regard. Boston's also a city of neighborhoods and much more compact and walkable. The lack of chains here is a breath of fresh air. It's truly a wonderful city for those who like to rely on their feet (and mass transit) and prefer one of a kind establishments to chains. It may be a bit too far North for you, but it's worth checking out as aside from the weather, it seems you would like everything else about it.
I like Boston a lot, but yeah I think the length of the winter and the greyness of the winter would get to me. I went up there in April and was surprised just how much colder it was than DC for that time of year. I agree that summers are nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,857,849 times
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I really hated Philly but I'm a SAHM. For the real deal on Philly, go to philly blog dot com or ask Orrmbl in the Philly forum here.
DC I like a lot-especially the city. Weather and bugs stink tho'
I hope you find what you are looking for..

Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,710,249 times
Well I left San Diego for 1) sw Missouri, then 2) nw Georgia and now sw Va. I've been happy in all 3 places. I'm a San Diego native but was ready for a change. I left San Diego behind, I didn't move trying to find something similar. If you are trying to find something similar to SD, then you probably will never be happy leaving.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Well I left San Diego for 1) sw Missouri, then 2) nw Georgia and now sw Va. I've been happy in all 3 places. I'm a San Diego native but was ready for a change. I left San Diego behind, I didn't move trying to find something similar. If you are trying to find something similar to SD, then you probably will never be happy leaving.
Eh, I'm not looking for San Diego exactly. I agree that if you move to a new place looking for exactly what you left, you're not likely to be happy. That being said, being open to change doesn't mean I can't look for some of the qualities I came to value in San Diego in other places. Like I said, I don't dislike the DC area... frankly I think it has more things to do than SD, and I really like how close it is to so many other interesting areas. Honestly, I think the lack of quality food/restaurants is my biggest issue. I can't quite figure out how a city that draws people from all over can have such mediocre food. C'est la vie.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,888,818 times
Does it HAVE to be the east coast? It seems like Western cities would fit you better....

Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Does it HAVE to be the east coast? It seems like Western cities would fit you better....
For the time being family and jobs are keeping us on the east coast... who knows what the future holds. For now I will just enjoy exploring a new city, and maybe I'll find some hidden restaurant gems.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I really hated Philly but I'm a SAHM. For the real deal on Philly, go to philly blog dot com or ask Orrmbl in the Philly forum here.
DC I like a lot-especially the city. Weather and bugs stink tho'
I hope you find what you are looking for..
Thanks!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,859 times
Richmond, Virginia or some North Carolina cities (Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville, Greensboro, Wilmington)

Old 05-29-2009, 02:45 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,710,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
Eh, I'm not looking for San Diego exactly. I agree that if you move to a new place looking for exactly what you left, you're not likely to be happy. That being said, being open to change doesn't mean I can't look for some of the qualities I came to value in San Diego in other places. Like I said, I don't dislike the DC area... frankly I think it has more things to do than SD, and I really like how close it is to so many other interesting areas. Honestly, I think the lack of quality food/restaurants is my biggest issue. I can't quite figure out how a city that draws people from all over can have such mediocre food. C'est la vie.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had already left. Yeah, the food since relocating has been my husband's biggest complaint! Good luck on your quest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.